U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 01:45 PM

14,967 posts, read 8,529,518 times

Advertisements

Sometimes the internet and social media networks serve a good purpose in life.

Hundreds Attend Minnesota Girl’s Birthday Party After Her Classmates Decline Invitation | KTLA

Quote:
Mackenzie Moretter, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder, invited her classmates to her 10th birthday party. None of them RSVP’d yes.

That’s when her mother posted an open invitation on Facebook, asking girls around Mackenzie’s age to show up.

Quote:
“Hello moms. I'm writing because I have a beautiful daughter named Mackenzie who is turning 10. I recently invited several girls to her birthday party this Saturday. I got cancellations or no calls at all saying whether they're coming or not. My daughter has Sotos Syndrome which means she has development delays such as speech and learning. At school she struggles and is often alone on the playground. As a mother, it is heartbreaking being you want your children to be happy. I'm reaching out to moms who have daughters between the age of 9-11 that would love to come to a birthday party tomorrow from 11-1:30. You don't have to bring gifts or stay long, just stop by and wish her a happy birthday. As of now, I have two girls coming which is family. She would be so surprised to have other girls just show up. If you are interested please send me a pm and I'll give you my address. Thank you all for reading a mother's wish!”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5ffWfSDgog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 02:03 PM

7,588 posts, read 5,099,463 times
I wonder if the parents of the girls' classmates have any regrets for turning down the invitation. It wouldn't have cost them much to put a smile on a little girls' face.
Glad she had a nice turn out for her party.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:06 PM

622 posts, read 397,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Thank God there are good people around who made this little girl's birthday party a happy one.

I'd like to say that her classmates should be ashamed of themselves considering her condition, but that wouldn't be fair because they would likely be the same age as her and probably don't understand the affliction. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sotos_syndrome

Good luck with your life Mackenzie.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:07 PM

4,636 posts, read 7,060,273 times
Great story!

Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,251,369 times
Aww, very sweet! I love when things like that happen.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:16 PM

28,761 posts, read 2,359,706 times
Thanks for posting this. I usually stay out of the current events forum for obvious reasons, but today I was so glad to read this. I am also glad they had such a beautiful weather day which is hit or miss in a Minnesota April.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:21 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times
Nice.... great to hear about good people being kind.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:36 PM

367 posts, read 290,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xircal View Post

I'd like to say that her classmates should be ashamed of themselves considering her condition,
We don't know the backstories of why people may have cancelled or not been able to attend so let's not be too critical. The article title is a little misleading, it makes it sound like she invited all her classmates, but instead the mother in her quote references there were "several", which could be any number greater then say, 4 or 5.

Let's just enjoy the great story for what it is. The kid had a very happy birthday and that's all that matters to her! Congratulations!

Old 04-19-2015, 05:21 PM

17,205 posts, read 14,805,597 times
I think the businesses who donated food, tables, tents, and everything else on very short notice should be commended as well...mom would never have been able to feed 300 people, lol! What an awesome, classy little girl.

Old 04-19-2015, 05:33 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
Sweet story.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the other kids. I have kids. We don't attend all of the parties for which we receive invitations. Sometimes it is just too much. If my child really wasn't friends with the other child, then I can see the other kids not attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or