U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM

13,559 posts, read 16,060,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always remind people that don't forget you were probably that screaming little bastard when you were young.

Projecting your own experience onto others is likely to lead to a lot of incorrect assumptions, my friend.

My brother and I were most definitely NOT "screaming little bastards" when we were young, simply because our parents did not tolerate acting out, and because they knew how to correct bad behavior very rapidly. And, based on the responses from several other people in this thread, my brother and I were not the only kids whose parents refused to allow their children to act-out in public.

I have no idea about how you were raised, but your assumption--that other people were "probably" allowed to act-out in public when they were children--is just not something that should be assumed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 05:43 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
She's driving the point home that he ain't getting any Gummy Bears no matter how much he screams! She's making it better for everyone because he's that much closer to learning that you don't get things JUST BECAUSE YOU SCREEEEEAM!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Yes, if the woman didn't have a choice but to be there and with her child, the people around have no choice but to listen to the mother disciplining her child. However, if you think things through, like have a plan B, it is better to just take the child out of the store and not bring him back until he is ready to accept "no." As of right now, the child is allowed to scream when mom says "no."
I was responding to the childfree poster who took away the kid's gummy bears, not the mom.

I agree. Would be better if left the store, unless that is what the kid wanted.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:53 PM

6,317 posts, read 4,437,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I always remind people that don't forget you were probably that screaming little bastard when you were young.
I wasn't.

I respected my caretakers. And i didn't even need to be "slapped" to do so. I merely respected their demand/expectations of my respect and their treating me with maturity, not like a wild animal.

In fact, I distinctly remember sitting in the grocery carriage or walking next to my mom or grandma in the store as a kid under 10. When I saw other kids scream, I always looked at them with contempt and thought, "What the hll is the matter with you?"

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM

9,371 posts, read 17,485,715 times
Let them take their misbehaved little brats to a chain restaurant where that sort of behavior is expected. Scream all you want at McDonald's, Applebee's, Chili's, and the rest of the family-friendly establishments. Not to a place where adults are paying out good money to eat a nice, peaceful meal in a more upscale environment. Some of these parents are ignorant with a sense of entitlement. I see them all the time with their double-wide strollers taking up aisles and paths in public everywhere they go, and everyone is supposed to accept their screaming child or that they take up the entire width of an aisle or path at tourist attractions, museums, aquariums, and anywhere their precious spawn likely won't remember five years from now.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM

20,857 posts, read 22,433,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Actually, you never know. I used to work with someone who was famous for just leaving her kids wherever and expecting the people there would watch them. She was a complete "it takes a village" person, except I'm not a babysitter. Once she left her kids in the shop on my shift when she went next door. Her little boy was famous for running up to people and pushing them. He was at the perfect height to get most guys where they didn't really appreciate it. That day he got me from behind as I was fitting someone to shoes. I nearly ended up in the customers lap face first. I turned around, grabbed his arm, and told him if he EVER did that to me again, I was throwing him through the front window. By the look on his face, I was the only person who told him not to do that again, and damned if he left me alone after that. But if you watched him do that with his parents, they'd just brush him off as if nothing happened, while continuing to do whatever they were doing.

I had another customer (who I knew well) who left his two kids in the shop with me and they just started running around like crazy. They were probably 6-8, a boy and girl. I tolerated that, but when they started throwing stuff on the floor I lost it. I made them pick everything up and put it away. This started a tantrum from the girl who hid in the dressing room screaming. Except she was only screaming to see if someone was paying attention. Every now and then we'd see her peek out to see if we were paying attention. Her dad comes back in to find her in the dressing room and his son sitting on a bench quiet as a church mouse. Until she saw dad, and she forced herself to cry again. He looked at me, I told him what happened, he burst out laughing and said good for you! Wish their mom would do that now and then. Walked over to the girl, told her they were going to be punished for misbehaving (NOT the reaction she was hoping for) and took them home.

So sometimes yelling by someone not in the family will have the desired effect. The parents would probably be furious with you for yelling at their darling though.
I think the difference here in the first case might be that you knew the mom. I didn't know this young mom and she looked very tough. I have on occasion disciplined (verbally) a kid if I knew the parent wouldn't come after me but in this case I didn't know what the mom would have done so I just stepped aside.

But I like the way you handled it. I have done the same with friends' kids who misbehaved around me. I once baby sat regularly for a real spoiled brat. I had him on is best behavior because I wouldn't take the crap his parents let him get away with. They couldn't understand how he was such and angel with me a and little devil with them.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:34 PM

12,107 posts, read 8,098,073 times
I'll admit there were times when I acted out in a public place mostly because I didn't get what I want.
My mom would cut my arse if I acted like these kids to today & I believe that's the problem no one spanks their kids anymore.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:35 AM

305 posts, read 352,607 times
I never had a problem with small crying children...

Until I was on a 7 hour plane ride from 11PM-6AM.

My thoughts changed...

Old 04-22-2015, 07:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,489,790 times
What if, just what if taking kids to public places young actually is essential for raising a well rounded, well mannered person?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 AM

7,128 posts, read 5,942,160 times
Screaming kids are the least of my concern.. just having the place packed at all annoys me which is why I try to go at certain times of the day when it's slowest if possible or when I'm working nights I just go at midnight or 2AM. Nothing more annoying than hitting the baking isle and having 7 different carts making it so you literally cannot walk down the isle... of course having the whole isle packed up with boxes when they are restocking shelves is not much funner so I try to avoid the 6AM after work visits these days.

I would say a restaurant is probably not the best place to be bringing young children under the age of 4 or so just like you would not bring them to a movie theater. I agree participants have the right to be annoyed if a kid is screaming during a movie in a theater. If you know they are going to be doing this you shouldn't be going with them along. If you are going you are perhaps being bit inconsiderate. Keep in mind a chinese buffet and high priced restaurant are different situations.

For long flights I would suggest earplugs and/or earmuffs to block out the sound. Worn properly they are quite effective. I recently got a whole box of 100 for a dollar at the employee store.

Last edited by stockwiz; 04-22-2015 at 08:06 AM..

Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,868,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
For long flights I would suggest earplugs and/or earmuffs to block out the sound. Worn properly they are quite effective. I recently got a whole box of 100 for a dollar at the employee store.
I would do everything in my power to not take a young child on a plane. Especially a long flight. It's just not a good environment for young kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events