U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,900,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I don't blame the noisy kids in this type of situation. Instead, it is the fault of the clueless, weak-willed parents who fail to teach proper behavior to their children.
This times a million. Many parents I know will quickly step out for a few minutes to calm their kids without disturbing others. The ones that don't are annoying, and the ones that completely ignore the behavior are downright rude. These are the same ones who trash establishments on "social media" who are simply trying to improve the experience for their customers.

I feel bad for the owners, whether they backtrack or not they will lose business. They either get trashed online or lose regulars because of inconsiderate parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 AM

1,966 posts, read 1,186,670 times
I don't even understand why screaming, crazy children are okay in a place like Chuckee Cheese. Sure, they can be a bit more boisterous and it's made for them to move around, but screaming? A child should only scream if they're being attacked or something.

I think lack of natural embarrassment is a big problem in society. If my children behaved badly, I would be embarrassed by my lack of ability to present them to the world as well-behaved people. I don't understand how some people think it's okay and doesn't make them look like weak idiots with no brains.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:50 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,009,125 times
This sort of restriction has been popular in Chicago for years, and is just basic common snse. This article from a decade ago gives a good description of a cafe owner who placed a ban on screaming and misbehaving kids. Despite a lot of protests from parents in the neighborhood he kept the ban and is still doing great business. Many other business have the same rules and enforce them.

When our daughter was younger we would actually avoid places that were "family friendly" because that frequently meant a lot of out of control kids running around. We didn't want her to think that was acceptable behavior.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM

7,926 posts, read 5,493,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I don't even understand why screaming, crazy children are okay in a place like Chuckee Cheese. Sure, they can be a bit more boisterous and it's made for them to move around, but screaming? A child should only scream if they're being attacked or something.

I think lack of natural embarrassment is a big problem in society. If my children behaved badly, I would be embarrassed by my lack of ability to present them to the world as well-behaved people. I don't understand how some people think it's okay and doesn't make them look like weak idiots with no brains.
Exactly. I take pride in my children, and love it when strangers compliment me/them on how well-behaved and polite they are. If I had loud, unruly kids, I doubt I'd want to take them anywhere with me.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:00 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,273,507 times
If I had the money I would open up a 21+only restaurant..

Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,270,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
If I had the money I would open up a 21+only restaurant..
Strip joints serve food, "Eggs and Legs" breakfast and lunch buffet. I read about it.

Mick

Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM

2,775 posts, read 2,625,053 times
Awesome story - too bad the restaurant owner didn't think things through before making and then changing their policy stance.

I have young children and feel like parents need to exhibit common sense when out in public as I see issues all the time; for instance if your child has no manners or self-control at home, you certainly cannot expect a miracle out in public! Make the change you want to see in the privacy of your own home. Likewise, with food selection/availability, and also with sitting still for any length of time. Grocery stores with screaming babies are a fact of life (sometimes you just need to buy something and your child has other plans or bad timing), but restaurants are completely avoidable situations. Likewise, you don't need to raise a screaming ass of a child... that is a avoidable too! Handicap situations aside, sometimes us parents are born with a "spirited child" - been there, but even then by age 4 you ought to have some sort of control (and they should have some emotional control as well).

I also have a family-oriented business and on occasion have tried to be helpful to parents struggling with a screaming/misbehaving child by suggesting among other things, why don't you take him/her outside for a few minutes? Making a policy isn't the right way to handle this situation, the right way is to handle on a case by case basis trying to both be helpful to the parent and empathetic with the other patrons.

Sometimes I wish the ineptitude of the few didn't result in policies for the rest of us... some parents just seem hopeless while others need some training/direction.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:32 PM

20,464 posts, read 20,653,398 times
they shouldn't be serving them anyways, we're suppose to be a civized nation, not some far off canibalistic, south-seas island

Old 04-20-2015, 12:35 PM

7,926 posts, read 5,493,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Strip joints serve food, "Eggs and Legs" breakfast and lunch buffet. I read about it.

Mick
A few years back, I was driving up to VA on I-95, and for what must have been a good 100+ mile stretch, I kept seeing billboards for this Cafe Risque place.
On the way back, I was starving and was on a stretch that appeared to have nothing nearby. After having images of their billboards in my head (their advertizing works) I decided to stop for breakfast.
Surprisingly enough, the food was good, and the women were very attractive. Much better than what I expected from a place in the middle of nowhere in NC.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:41 PM

35,043 posts, read 43,231,898 times
It never fails, when I'm in the grocery store there is always some child shrieking.

I had 4 kids, so I know this can happen to the best of us, but USUALLY it is because, a. The child is overtired or hungry, which is the parents fault, or 2. The child has not been taught how to behave I public, also the parents fault.

It should not be everyone else's problem when parents are selfish and do not take the time to train or tend to their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events