U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 04:14 PM

1,112 posts, read 805,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Screaming children are a major turn-off for many diners. It affects the bottom line of the restaurant, and they should have the right to ban children (or anyone for that matter) if they choose.

Parents need to take into consideration how their child affects other diners. The other customers in that restaurant aren't paying to listen to screaming kids.

If you are a parent who wants to take the risk of taking your child to a restaurant and having them be a disruption, it is that parent who should remove the child IMMEDIATELY until the child calms down.

I have children, and there are times you have to go out to a restaurant, I know this. When my kids were very young and began to act out, I would immediately take them outside to calm them down. It was my responsibility to control my children, and other patrons should not have to put up with it.

Quit being selfish.
I'll second that. Screaming children has affected what businesses we will frequent. It is disruptive to have your meal interrupted by unruly children. There are even times we may leave early due to it. I felt the diner was well within their rights to ban screaming children, aand should have followed through.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 2,900,043 times
I was at a restaurant with friends. We noticed a woman sitting with a table of 3 children. Eating and being so good. I was so astonished that I couldn't keep from looking over at them.
When they finished their meal they sat and talked to the mom. I had to go over and compliment her. I don't know what her secret was but she was a great mom who knew how to raise her kids without the drama of some parents. It was a great meal and quiet also.
This gave me some hope that there are still parents who have it figured out.....

Old 04-20-2015, 05:04 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,957,040 times
Yeah the problem was using Social Media to get the point across since it just encouraged additional Social Media to get back at them. Online bullies and folks with no real voice except online.

What they should have done and what they should do it just inform anyone who has a "screaming" anyone with them is to quietly ask them to leave. It can all be handled on a case by case basis, no need to hang a public banner stating such.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:16 PM

3,206 posts, read 1,859,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'd give as good as I got on that forum.

When DH and I go out to eat, it's for a pleasant experience, and I make no apologies for not sitting next to Rosemary's other baby, or not wanting to say "Hello" 26 times to someone's toddler--we'll move, if necessary.
I gotta ask - and not because you do this but your "hello" comment reminded me… what is it about people who think it's cute to let their toddler run things through the grocery checkout, hand the money to the cashier etc? We're talking a kid so small they can barely hold onto something much less comprehend what they're doing. It's one thing if the store is slow with plenty of cashiers, but to do it at lunch or dinner time and hold up lines is just rude IMO.

I know it's a new generation but we've always had grocery stores and checkouts and there's always been plenty of time to teach kids how to do this stuff - toddler age is not it.

And geez, you say anything and you just get the "you're an evil kid-hating-monster" look. When in reality I've I've worked all day, I'm freakin hungry and I really hate the parent who thinks this is critical for a 2 yr old to do this.

Just wondering…..

Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times
Well I just ask to be moved if the nearby toddler has a breakdown.

One time we not only asked to be moved but also asked for new servings of food because the breakdown involved throwing pieces of Mom and Dad's appetizer to surrounding tables.

And all the while all you hear is "XXXX, don't do that." "XXXX, sit down."

When my son was a toddler and we went out, if he decided to act up then I hauled his little butt outside and he didn't eat (neither did I til later on via doggie bag). He learned after a few times that if he acted up he was going to be taken outside and get no food.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:57 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,258,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I gotta ask - and not because you do this but your "hello" comment reminded me… what is it about people who think it's cute to let their toddler run things through the grocery checkout, hand the money to the cashier etc? We're talking a kid so small they can barely hold onto something much less comprehend what they're doing. It's one thing if the store is slow with plenty of cashiers, but to do it at lunch or dinner time and hold up lines is just rude IMO.

I know it's a new generation but we've always had grocery stores and checkouts and there's always been plenty of time to teach kids how to do this stuff - toddler age is not it.

And geez, you say anything and you just get the "you're an evil kid-hating-monster" look. When in reality I've I've worked all day, I'm freakin hungry and I really hate the parent who thinks this is critical for a 2 yr old to do this.

Just wondering…..
I agree completely!

Man, that bugs! I try to be patient, but, as you said, it's not always the appropriate time to let your kids scan every item or hand money to the cashier. Honestly, if there's anyone behind you, don't do this. It's inconsiserate. The best is when the precious child has a tantrum over not getting to do what they want. It's sometimes easy to get annoyed in these situations.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:17 PM

7,289 posts, read 12,890,372 times
Now if we could just get the airlines to join in...

Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM

23,957 posts, read 31,176,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

When I was very young, I can recall getting a bit squirmy in a restaurant that was taking an extremely long time to serve us. My mother got in my face, and in a slow but forceful manner said, "I know that you like going to restaurants. Unless you stop this right now, we are never taking you to a restaurant again". Because my mother was a woman of her word, I knew that she meant it, and her chastisement had an immediate effect on my behavior.

Her firm words were all it took, and--while I was not happy with the long delay in receiving our food--I sat quietly for the remainder of the meal. And, that day's lesson in behavior carried over to every other restaurant visit thereafter.

I don't blame the noisy kids in this type of situation. Instead, it is the fault of the clueless, weak-willed parents who fail to teach proper behavior to their children.

Agreed. I never put up with such behavior from my child. Restaurant outtings when he was a baby were limited to times where he was headed to sleep, so he slept through most of them. And we simply required quiet respectful behavior when out in public. There was no option. You behaved, or you went home. Period.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,581,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It never fails, when I'm in the grocery store there is always some child shrieking.

I had 4 kids, so I know this can happen to the best of us, but USUALLY it is because, a. The child is overtired or hungry, which is the parents fault, or 2. The child has not been taught how to behave I public, also the parents fault.

It should not be everyone else's problem when parents are selfish and do not take the time to train or tend to their children.
There's also 3. normal behavior for a child at a given age.

When my son was 3.5, he grabbed a Winnie-the-Pooh shaped cooking pan in a department store and refused to let go. When we came to the self-checkout lane, I forced him to give it up and he started screaming his head off. I only had maybe a dozen items, while I was checking the last couple items out a lady in her late 40s ran up to me and yelled at me for not buying the pan so that he would stop crying. I politely told her to f'off and mind her own kids if she ever had them.

Sometimes kids scream because they are spoiled. Sometimes they are little and haven't learned proper behavior yet. There are some places that people come to enjoy their time in (like restaurants) and if the child starts screaming, the right thing to do is to walk out. There are other places that people have to go to, like grocery stores; if a small child throws a fit in one, tough ****. Not that I wouldn't expect the parent to try and calm the child down, but even the best parents can only do so much with little kids. It takes time and effort to teach them proper behavior.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:07 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,183,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
They were forced...all the outraged parents started going on the restaurant review sites and giving the place one-star ratings. I think it's tantamount to blackmail...reviews should be based on food and service, not whether you like the owners or not.
I agree that reviews should either only be food based or there should be a special area for "idiots" who find a way to be "treated poorly" by the business in question.

When i'm reading a review on a food place i only care about food quality, i dont want to see a 1 star review because someone had a bad "experience" that had nothing to do with food quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events