Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Were they a suspect?
Was he being detained for a crime?

If the answer is no to either one of those questions, his civil rights were violated and those officers should be hung by the neck until dead, in a public lynching.
Apparently yes and yes (though a non-UCR crime). So no public lynching.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
When you're confronted by a cop, do as you're told. Yes, you may have to swallow your pride, but if the cop is in the wrong, there's a process of disciplining him.

A cop has a gun, taser, mace and nighstick, as well as a bunch of others with that arsenal. Just do as you're told and you won't have to worry about police brutality.

(on the other hand, if you're one of these idiots with multiple arrests, I don't mind if a cop tunes you up a little bit, apparently nothing else is getting through your thick head)

Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 AM

6,261 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
You absolutely get it...
Thank you
It's not hard to get. My husband is a retired LEO. We know many LEOs. The truth doesn't matter. There are too many agendas out there that have nothing to do with law enforcement and how officers actually do their jobs.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'm curious about what you have to say watching this:

https://youtu.be/N30tT93FChQ

What exactly did the man do to deserve this?

This is why I'm absolutely terrified of cops, to the point of crossing the street when I see one walking my way.
It's another example of what can happen when someone gets an attitude with police instead of just politely cooperating.

If he had simply answered the cops questions and showed his ID, he probably would have been on his way to "pick up his kids" in a matter of minutes.

It's not a matter of "what he did to deserve it"...It's just an unfortunate reality that if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time where you match the description of a suspect, then the police are going to stop and question you.....because it's their job to determine if you might be the person they're looking for, and we as a society give them the right to question people in the course of doing that job......
Yes, even innocent people who may be doing nothing wrong.

Let them do their job without taking it so personally and you'll likely suffer no more than a few minutes of inconvenience....getting snitty and refusing to cooperate only increases the cops suspicion of you and unnecessarily escalates the situation.

When will people figure out that when you resist a cop there is no possible scenario where it's going to go well for them?

Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:

This is why I'm absolutely terrified of cops, to the point of crossing the street when I see one walking my way.
Ok, so you have an irrational fear based upon the fact that there are some bad cops out there.

My friend got bit by a dog once as a kid, now they are afraid of all dogs.

Same thing.

Now here you are trying to rationalize the impossible by giving us some examples apparantly in the hope that it will make your views appear more rational if people see things the way you do.

Sorry you feel the way you do. You might want to work on your own issues rather than try to make excuses for them or you'll never make any progress.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,732,843 times
Quote:

This is not unusual. I have avoided cops since I was in college and saw how they loved to pull over college kids and harass them.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:42 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
That video is from youngturk, don't get me wrong. Youngturk is okay, but just like foxnews, it is not a news channel. It is extremely liberal and can be sometimes, biased. It frequently attacks non-Democrat figures and twists their words around and calls them all sorts of names.

That being said, I think police brutality exists. But are all police officers bad? Not at all.

I've been stopped by police officer several times. 100% of the time were my fault. I do whatever I've been told to do, no issues. Majority of the times, the officers let me go without even issuing me a ticket. I have no issues with police officers.

I believe that No officer goes out in the field wishing to shoot anyone, armed or unarmed. I think people who work in law enforcement know they are legally vested with the authority to detain suspects — an authority that must sometimes be enforced.

There is no doubt in my mind that corrupt and bully cops exist. I also believe every cop should use a body camera to record interactions with the community at all times. Every police car should have a video recorder. I believe each police officer should be treated with respect because they are just doing their jobs. They want to go home safely like the most of us. No need to demonize them.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:08 PM

698 posts, read 587,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
When you're confronted by a cop, do as you're told. Yes, you may have to swallow your pride, but if the cop is in the wrong, there's a process of disciplining him.
LOL, you mean the process where the cop's buddies and coworkers will perform a full and complete investigation after which the cop's actions will be declared as necessary and justified. This while another set of the cop's buddies and coworkers are busy digging up dirt on the victim and helping get the evidence and the falsified police reports to line up in time for court. The worst punishment a dirty cop usually receives is a paid vacation and a few weeks of desk duty.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,348,616 times
Quote:

I was thinking about this question the other day, wondering why people accept what is happening. Here is what I think:

There are people in this world that are racists and think that what the cops are doing is okay. This is hard to accept or to understand. I know someone who, when I tell her that a cop has killed a person who didn't do anything, immediately brings up how she lived in Watts once and how mean the blacks were. She can't see it no other way. I doubt if she has even seen a video. But I know of people who think the blacks deserve to be killed because they resisted or whatever. This is no different than what happened in Nazi Germany when the people were brainwashed for years to believe that the Jews were evil, were the problem. Few people stood up for them by hiding them; most didn't care what happened to them and would turn them in in a second. Society can be brainwashed to believe anything about people. In communist China during the cultural revolution people turned in friends and family even if they knew that these people had done nothing wrong. Read history and you won't think much of human kind.

Here in American the blacks, the Hispanics and even the mentally ill are considered the problem, and the cops get away with murder because most people don't care and don't think it will happen to them, but they also think good riddance to what they consider bad rubbish.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:24 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,998 times
He should have just given the first cop his name.

With that said, the first cop was doing what exactly? Responding to a call, she said. Sounds to me like an idiot called because a black dude was a place where an idiot didn't want him to be and the cop actually listened to the idiot in question. Then the second cop shows up and arrests him for what was clearly an unlawful arrest in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events