Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,396,545 times

Advertisements

I remember when Wal-mart was a mainly Southern/Western regional chain and most things where Made in America. It still was the best deal around town, the most efficient, and the cleanest/best organized. Of course, that's when Sam Walton was still alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:53 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,268,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
I don't like it either, but rather than drive 32 miles to the next town that has stores other than wally world.
I do buy stuff there......
I drive 40 miles to Walmart because the POS town I live in does not have any Walmarts. I would rather drive 40 miles to Walmart for a massive stockup than pay two to three times the price for the same items at Walgreens.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:55 PM

42,757 posts, read 26,009,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
I remember when Wal-mart was a mainly Southern/Western regional chain and most things where Made in America. It still was the best deal around town, the most efficient, and the cleanest/best organized. Of course, that's when Sam Walton was still alive.
yep, and they had little 'made in USA' stickers with flags all over everything..sure has changed, huh?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,220,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?

Walmart has an incredible selection and excellent prices.

As far as employee treatment, I haven't seen where they treat their staff any worse or pay any less than Target, Kmart , Family Dollar or mom and pop.

All of the big retailers feature products and clothing made abroad, and China is America's biggest trading partner. Blaming Walmart for doing the same thing as everyone else is disingenuous.

Walmart is just the biggest shark in the retail waters now, that's why they are so demonized. But that can change, when I was a young man, Sears was unstoppable and the king of retail. In previous generations, Woolworth and Montgomery Ward sat on top of the mountain.

I suspect Amazon may well be where Walmart is, sooner than later, unless Walmart adapts.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:02 PM

424 posts, read 379,659 times
because all America cares about is money, and Walmart is the cheapest option and people don't have to go to multiple stores as they carry everything. I don't shop there and I never will.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:03 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,349,597 times
because everything is under one roof and i'm poor

Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 PM

4,972 posts, read 5,235,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuptag View Post
The suppliers were starting to have problems then, but didn't know it yet. I talked to a company that used to sell to Wal-Mart. Originally, selling to Wal-Mart seemed like a good idea. Wal-Mart was into selling in bulk. The profit margin wasn't there. The company realized they were going broke because they weren't making enough profit on the sold to Wal-Mart. They were losing the good customers that actually paid enough money to make a profit. They dumped Wal-Mart and went back to the good customers. They saved the company. Other companies weren't so fortunate.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,256,180 times
Here's why:

I frequently - and I do mean frequently - find things in particular that I want, at WalMart when no one else has them. This is of more value to me than costs.

The stores in our area look good and the staff is very good and well-trained.

Besides, I highly doubt that Target or any other discount store sells much less stuff from China than WalMart.

Now, for groceries I go to Winco, an Idaho-based grocery chain, because the prices are cheaper than WalMart.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
2OP: suggest an alternative. Not the grossly overpriced one selling the same Chinese junk for more money. And not the local farmer who proudly sells his homegrown "Made in the USA !!!" apples at $2 /lbs when even higher end stores around here sell the same American grown apples for $1.85.

People want to get the best value for money. For poor people it means the cheapest thing they can find.

BTW the Walmart near us - in a fairly upscale area - has better grocery department than Kroger. Which is why we go there for groceries. We actually had a manager come up to us and ask if there was any product that we would like to see in that department. Not that every Walmart is that way.
About a half hour drive away are two bigger walmarts, but our local store has a good selection of food and the fresh stuff is good quality. I don't like the milk and get that from Brahms and my meat from a local meat market, but there has been no need to take a drive to Stillwater either. That store carries non food items which the local one doesn't but they can also be ordered online which is cheaper than driving.

Given that we have amazon and other smaller stores to order from at a good price from your home, its not completely necessary to have stores which have everything you want a few blocks away. I tend to check amazon first for bargains anyway.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,193,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Walmart has an incredible selection and excellent prices.

As far as employee treatment, I haven't seen where they treat their staff any worse or pay any less than Target, Kmart , Family Dollar or mom and pop.

All of the big retailers feature products and clothing made abroad, and China is America's biggest trading partner. Blaming Walmart for doing the same thing as everyone else is disingenuous.

Walmart is just the biggest shark in the retail waters now, that's why they are so demonized. But that can change, when I was a young man, Sears was unstoppable and the king of retail. In previous generations, Woolworth and Montgomery Ward sat on top of the mountain.

I suspect Amazon may well be where Walmart is, sooner than later, unless Walmart adapts.
I do online shopping in winter and bad weather time when its unknown if we'll have rain/snow/ice, both from amazon and walmart. I find I can get the larger sacks of dog food and blends of makers they don't stock online. They also carry stuff only online which they don't sell in stores. My first go to is amazon, and I buy a LOT of stuff from them I would have gone to a bunch of stores to find.

As a bonus, I find its easy to keep track of how close to the budget you are when you can just look at your purchase history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events