U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 PM

8,218 posts, read 4,495,502 times

Advertisements

and they are open 24 hrs a day, so no screaming kids at 3 am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?

Do you know of an alternative to what they offer? Some stores where Americans get the same bang for their bucks? How do you propose the USA competes with offshore manufacturers for producing the same crap they would make on these shores?

Walmart employees have jobs. Maybe not the best but it is wholly unskilled labor and lots-o-employees need to be led around by the hand when they first start. The best thing about a Walmart job? No prior experience is necessary and education is a no brainer.

Customers are featured on websites whereas employees are not.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:27 PM
Status: "Christine Blasi Ford, Novelist and fiction author" (set 19 hours ago)

13,485 posts, read 5,260,397 times
Quote:
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

Low prices and good selection. As for the workers, would you rather they not find any work?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:33 PM

898 posts, read 628,085 times
As a broke college student, why would I intentionally spend more money somewhere else? The Walmart near my college is cheap and open 24/7. There is a Giant in the same complex, and I do stop there when I need something that I can't find in Walmart, but I'm overall more inclined to shop at Walmart.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:35 PM

1,058 posts, read 593,039 times
I generally avoid Walmart, but sometimes shop there for convenience, or a very low black friday price on a specific item. We can go several months without shopping there. Sometimes when traveling Walmart can be a familiar place to pick up a few things not at tourest trap prices. We buy most of our food at Meijer. We don't believe groceries are cheaper at Walmart. I don't want to defend Walmart but as far as I can see, Walmart is selling the same products as every other store.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,476,765 times
Why would I overpay? Buying commodity items elsewhere is overpaying.

In addition, Wal Mart promotes 90k Americans/year, 75% w/o degrees. That is 67,500 promotions for those w/o a degree!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:55 PM

5,941 posts, read 2,505,678 times
Quote:

Seems to me, if it was such a "Terrible" place, no one would be working there, would they? Seems to me, the ones we have around here, have plenty of employees, and far as I know, they aren't being held there by force. Do you know something I don't? What are some of those "Horrible" treatments you mention?

They exist because you get your moneys worth there. Why should I support a business that wants to get rich off of me, or pay for their Yacht at the Marina, when I can get the same product there for half price. If Other Companies where not so Greedy, they could compete with Walmart.

As far as China is concerned, the same Companies you want us to support for more money, are also selling merchandise from China, but marking it up a lot more. All you have to do is scan the item and you will see what other stores are selling it for. Its all about being a smart consumer.

I had an employee of another Store tell me I should shop there, instead of Walmart, because it may cost a little more, but they Pay their Cashiers more. Guess she did not realize how ridiculous that sounded.

I like Walmart . I shop there all the time.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:09 PM

27,405 posts, read 11,471,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Seems to me, if it was such a "Terrible" place, no one would be working there, would they? Seems to me, the ones we have around here, have plenty of employees, and far as I know, they aren't being held there by force. Do you know something I don't? What are some of those "Horrible" treatments you mention?

They exist because you get your moneys worth there. Why should I support a business that wants to get rich off of me, or pay for their Yacht at the Marina, when I can get the same product there for half price. If Other Companies where not so Greedy, they could compete with Walmart.

As far as China is concerned, the same Companies you want us to support for more money, are also selling merchandise from China, but marking it up a lot more. All you have to do is scan the item and you will see what other stores are selling it for. Its all about being a smart consumer.

I had an employee of another Store tell me I should shop there, instead of Walmart, because it may cost a little more, but they Pay their Cashiers more. Guess she did not realize how ridiculous that sounded.

I like Walmart . I shop there all the time.
maybe that sounds ridiculous to you, but not to me...the only fast food burger I eat is at in-n-out, I like it but the main reason I eat there rather than McDonalds or Burger King is because their starting wage is $10.50 an hour and I want to support a company that is willing to do that.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:32 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,400,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
maybe that sounds ridiculous to you, but not to me...the only fast food burger I eat is at in-n-out, I like it but the main reason I eat there rather than McDonalds or Burger King is because their starting wage is $10.50 an hour and I want to support a company that is willing to do that.
Not just that but everything they serve is fresh, not frozen.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 PM

27,405 posts, read 11,471,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not just that but everything they serve is fresh, not frozen.
very true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events