U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 06:50 AM

14,087 posts, read 6,027,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't buy ANY of those products. No designer labels, no Apple products, etc. There are still many American companies to buy from.
You're typing on something made in China. We can all make a vow to only buy American made products, but in reality unless we're making the products ourselves it's just not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 AM

14,087 posts, read 6,027,090 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't a conservative like you not shop local/American? Even if it did cost you more money?

Is it more important to save a buck then support your fellow Americans? Doesn't sound very patriotic to me.
Again, where would you find it? I haven't seen any stores that sell only American made products besides furniture stores.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:54 AM

3,555 posts, read 3,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Again, where would you find it? I haven't seen any stores that sell only American made products besides furniture stores.
You put in a demand for it so someone builds a factory and starts making it. I'd rather see some of our government money put toward something that helps everyone. Personally, I would love to see some clothes made in the USA. It wouldn't even have to be designer clothes. I'd love to see some well made, basic, classic style clothes that don't have holes after the first washing or fall apart at the seams. Give them a patriotic brand name and I'd buy them.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,882 posts, read 5,178,102 times
Aside from upper middle class neighborhoods, mom n' pop stores have been a thing of the past for quite some time where I live. I can either sit in 45 minutes of traffic, stand on line for 20 minutes because they are on skeleton crew, and pay more money for the same products, or I can maximize time and money (both of which are lean right now) by shopping at a local chain that has amazing deals on produce (which is ironic, considering it's called Meat Farms), staple foods, and different ingredients for making ethnic foods... and swinging by Wally World on the way home for snack foods, dairy products, health products, and cleaning products. From what I've seen of other places I've visited, the WalMart by me isn't even that great as far as food selection goes (not meat, no fresh produce), but it's clean, the employees are friendly and helpful, and they always have plenty registers open. I'm friends with a few employees (one lives in my neighborhood, two are wives of my husband's friends) and the have nothing but good things to say about the company. And I live in metro NY, not remote rural area where there are no other jobs to be had.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:16 AM

7,946 posts, read 7,852,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
In a nutshell, here is why this evil festers . . . No one cares. As a realtor, Im sure you also benefit from the way they buy zoning changes and the "20 mile" plans they have in place for certain areas. But, if its good for you, it's ok. all about you
It is sad when you care about people or your extended community, and take a stand, you are looked at as a pariah. More hilarious, a lot of walmart shoppers will claim to be "patriots" and "Christians". lol
No, here is where evil festers: When people use "community" as a gun to shoot other people dead through collectivist taxation and over-regulation.

Here is where evil festers: when sheeple proclaim that one should "buy American" when other better and cheaper products are available from elsewhere. Which then allows Americans to have more money in their pockets to buy and enjoy other things. Buying "American" is stupid. One should choose what to buy rationally and objectively, not using a retarded jingoistic model based on the citizenship (!#$%&*^%&^) of the producer.

I DON'T CARE about the citizenship of those who build what I want to buy. If Americans want to produce something of value to sell to their fellow Americans, fine. DO IT!

If they can't do that because "community" fascists have created a monstrosity of overtaxation and oversocialization of individual problems to the point where it is cheaper to build and ship the stuff from 5000 miles away, SO BE IT. WE DID IT TO OURSELVES. We gave up freedom for a network of "safety nets". WE LOSE!

Why don't we rediscover freedom and minimal government intervention in the economy. THAT is the best way to support Americans.

Hating on a retailer has to be the dumbest thing ever. Wise up!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,113,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You put in a demand for it so someone builds a factory and starts making it. I'd rather see some of our government money put toward something that helps everyone. Personally, I would love to see some clothes made in the USA. It wouldn't even have to be designer clothes. I'd love to see some well made, basic, classic style clothes that don't have holes after the first washing or fall apart at the seams. Give them a patriotic brand name and I'd buy them.
there are many made in american clothing brands. American Apparel being the obvious success story.

There is a subset of rich asian men who are obsessed with "made in America" americana type menswear. It is especially popular in Japan.

it just costs too much for most people used to buying their clothes at old navy. Click on the "made in america" tag on Jcrew for an example of the pricing.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:27 AM

30,865 posts, read 13,338,379 times
I love Winco, I have to drive past 4 Walmart's to get there but their prices are great and it's employee owned WinCo Foods, An Employee Owned Company! | WinCo Foods

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM

36,836 posts, read 45,258,798 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't a conservative like you not shop local/American? Even if it did cost you more money?

Is it more important to save a buck then support your fellow Americans? Doesn't sound very patriotic to me.
Conservatives believe in the free market system. Business should be free to produce their product as economically as possible. If enough people stop buying products made in China, then that business will suffer. We should not constrain a business on the front end.
I get what you are saying though. I will pay a bit more to support a local small business.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:48 AM

9,412 posts, read 6,442,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I love Winco, I have to drive past 4 Walmart's to get there but their prices are great and it's employee owned WinCo Foods, An Employee Owned Company! | WinCo Foods
Publix does the same thing.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM

8,552 posts, read 9,603,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
I don't think Walmart pays any of their employees minimum wage, at least the federal minimum wage. In states where they go along with the feds, at $7.25/hr, you will be making more at Walmart than you would be at most fast food restaurants where you would be only making $7.25/hr.

While Walmart might not be paying their unskilled employees $15/hr, they're paying them more than they had before they got that job. I don't think a shelf stocker or bagger should be getting paid $15/hr. It is a job that requires no skill that anyone could do. Same goes for flipping burgers.

If you want to be paid more, go learn a skill and get a better job.
Walmart's minimum wage is $8.25 hour. Anyone who now makes less than $10 hour will be seeing a $1 hour raise on their next pay check, this week. They will be getting another $1 hour at the beginning of next year. We all get a small raise every year. In July I will be getting my sixth raise in 5 years.

Being a bagger DOES require some skills. They have to be able to use common sense, know what items go together and how to bag like items together, not overload the bags or put so little in them that the customer has to deal with a gazillion bags. I am a trainer for Walmart and I do emphasize bagging because it's an important part of customer service and satisfaction. I see people at the self checkout that I'd like to smack upside the head for the way they bag stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events