U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM
 
Location: USA
6,220 posts, read 5,337,322 times
Reputation: 10632

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Some of you are too young to remember, but once upon a time working in a grocery store was a good job, it was easy to make $18 an hour and get benefits..oh well, can't put that genie back in the bottle can we?

I don't shop at Walmart, and it's really not because of what they have done to other retailers, I just hate their stores. If you can find someone on the floor they seem unable to answer even the simplest question. Produce and meat is NOT cheap and IMO is of poor quality. I consider Walmart unpleasant and it depresses me, it would still depress me even if the customers would put their teeth in when they shopped and if the employees were paid more.

I buy cheap crap at the dollar store, I grow most of our produce but when I need some I buy it and meat at Mexican grocery stores, canned & packaged stuff I buy where ever it's on sale.
Yes indeed, it don't pay like it used too. When I worked for a grocery chain there were a number of career employees still working there who made a decent wage and had a pension plan. New hires got minimum wage, no benefits other than a 401k with no match.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:09 AM
 
Location: the Permian Basin
4,197 posts, read 3,067,951 times
Reputation: 5892
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
the factory you worked at closed because they could not afford to pay a fair wage and lower their prices to suit Walmart
Funny how you left out why the factory couldn't afford to lower their sales price while maintaining wages and profitability. Taxes and regulations inflate the cost of doing business, and are generally supported by people who engage in Walmart-bashing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,405 posts, read 17,418,171 times
Reputation: 27350
Here in Indianapolis, I have many options for discount retailers and grocers. For your standard "Walmart" items, I can go to Walmart, Meijer, KMart, or Super Target. We have multiple of each store, so there is competition. There are also numerous grocery solutions, from very low end (salvage) to upmarket (Whole Foods, dedicated butchers). Walmart has its place, but it's not the dominant or only option.

I know of plenty of rural communities back home in east TN and southwest VA where the only food/grocery stores within ten miles are a regional chain called Food City and Walmart. In those cases, Walmart is the only local option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
 
35,325 posts, read 25,034,908 times
Reputation: 32379
They are economic terrorists. Plain and simple.

'This is a new low even for Walmart,' say fired workers - Apr. 20, 2015
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 AM
 
Location: NH
2,230 posts, read 2,285,055 times
Reputation: 2932
Walmart is a last resort for me, its not the company its the customers. Granted the big selection and low prices attract such customers but its also a convenience factor. Id gladly pay more at a mom and pop store but they don't always have what I need. I would love to see more American made products but it seems far and few these days. Even American cars are produced overseas and foreign ones are made right here in America. Id love to see steep taxes on trade to lessen the number of imported products here in America. Here we have a country that complains about the economy, etc...yet we do it to ourselves...we allow the competition to take over our country. Its all about greed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,591 posts, read 9,642,392 times
Reputation: 10908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I remember when WalMart treated their employees very well. Sad what its become.
I wish someone could explain to me just how Walmart treats their employees so badly. Or what is the difference between 'now and then'. Nobody I've asked seems able to come up with any answers or the ones they DO come up with are fallacies/myths/untruths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Northern Appalachia
5,132 posts, read 6,321,311 times
Reputation: 5988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I shopped at Wal-Mart when it was really the only place to shop because there were no other stores. That particular Wal-Mart was well stocked and had a variety of items. I now go once every couple of months or so because some else wants to go there or is given a WM giftcard we can't use anywhere else. I went there on Friday because it was in the same shopping center as Best Buy. My husband wanted something at Best Buy. I'd rather pick my nose than to hang out in Best Buy so I went to Wal-Mart to kill time.

For others, Wal-Mart has an anything goes atmosphere. You can return junk you shoplifted without a receipt. There is no dress code. Bathing and grooming are optional. Specific clothing and style is also optional at times. If the other stores in town are having a sale, then Wal-Mart is too. If you buy something and it breaks, you can return it. They are open 24 hours so you come come in for the munchies. There are normal people who just want to go one place, get it done and go home.

Some people think shopping there saves them money. I disagree with that. I've done price comparisons between stores. Wal-Mart prices are not always the lowest price. I also live some place with more competition in stores. I'm not going there to price match groceries when I can shop without the herd at a store that has better quality merchandise. Wal-Mart has developed a mentality of you better get this now when you see it. People just mindlessly buy things without taking into account what they are really buying.
So now you just go to WalMart to return stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Sylmar, a part of Los Angeles
3,938 posts, read 2,514,049 times
Reputation: 8375
Dmocrats hate Walmart because it isen't union. Unions force employees to pay union dues which the union then uses to elect Democrats. Democrats are the reason why the once great state of Calif. is now the hell hole it now is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:46 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,254 posts, read 12,042,435 times
Reputation: 16555
I completely understand the political and moral aspect of not stepping
foot in a Wal-Mart, I do!
But, I save too much on all my pet food...occasionally they carry the
red pots I need for my plants....sorry.
Oh, and they sometimes have the colors I want in umbrellas....after looking at other
places.

But, they don't get much of my money...only a tad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,881 posts, read 10,354,540 times
Reputation: 8045
Mostly because people perceive it to be the best deal on many things-which is really not the case at all, especially with online shopping.

I haven't been to a Wal-Mart in years and if I absolutely needed to go to a store like that (don't know why I would) I would probably go to Target instead.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I completely understand the political and moral aspect of not stepping
foot in a Wal-Mart, I do!
But, I save too much on all my pet food...occasionally they carry the
red pots I need for my plants....sorry.
Oh, and they sometimes have the colors I want in umbrellas....after looking at other
places.

But, they don't get much of my money...only a tad.
I can understand that, but have you ever seen the pet food at Trader Joe's?

$10 for a huge bag of food-and it seems to be good stuff, my dog loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top