U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 03:21 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,888,086 times

Advertisements

Crazy thing is Wal Mart has shoppers from the poorest people in the world near homeless and on welfare to millionaires, believe it or not I know a few super rich people that love shopping at Wal Mart they are thrifty. It is hard to get a demographic on Wal Mart shoppers because they are so many of them, Wal Mart I believe is the biggest supermarket retail chain in the USA. Its hard to stereotype their shoppers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 03:36 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,935,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Crazy thing is Wal Mart has shoppers from the poorest people in the world near homeless and on welfare to millionaires, believe it or not I know a few super rich people that love shopping at Wal Mart they are thrifty. It is hard to get a demographic on Wal Mart shoppers because they are so many of them, Wal Mart I believe is the biggest supermarket retail chain in the USA. Its hard to stereotype their shoppers.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM

8,561 posts, read 9,622,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why I believe Walmart and other big box stores to be poor, unethical employers:

-Antiunion
-Fail to give employees their legally due breaks
-Fail to compensate employees for every hour worked
-Wages are disgustingly low given the gigantic amount of profits these corporations rake in
-Hire as many part time workers as possible in order to avoid paying benefits
-Force employees to work off the clock
-Hire undocumented workers to work in their stores
-IMO, they are guilty of predatory pricing

I would rather pay more elsewhere and do a little legwork in order to support businesses that compete fairly and ethically, treat their employees in a fair and ethical manner and contribute to the well being and health of the community in which they do business.
All the things I highlighted in your answer are not true. Everyone gets their breaks and lunch. Once in a while they may be a little late, depending on business/employees who do or do not, show up/anything unavoidable. Breaks aren't determined by the CSMs but by a tasking machine that send employees where they are needed so those employees get their breaks and lunches.

They ARE compensated for all their hours worked and that's why they insist that nobody work over their scheduled hours. We aren't even supposed to stop and answer a customers questions if we are on break or off the clock and if we do we are supposed to adjust our time. Nobody does because we think that's a totally silly 'rule'.

The wage thing, I can agree with...to a point. Everyone starts the same ($8.25 hr., or more depending on the position and what hours worked) but it doesn't take long to make more. And, as I wrote on another post, all employees making less than $10 an hour have been given a $1 hour raise which will show up on their paychecks this week. The first of the year they'll receive another $1 hour. That will raise the average wage considerably.

They do not hire people part time to avoid benefits. Part timers have plenty of benefits, almost as many as full time. Sometimes it takes longer to go into effect but they are eligible for most everything including 401k and health insurance. Many people who work at Walmart only want part time, especially the older people and some start part time but go full time eventually.

Nobody is allowed to work off the clock. They are very strict about this. Some of these things DID used to happen but it's years and years, changes were made and they are no longer happening. Not for a long time. I think it's funny that people never hear of changes being made so the same ol' stuff is still being bandied about like it's true. It's not.

Walmart uses E-Verify and they not hire undocumented workers...unless one happens to slip through for some reason. Recently we had two employees on work visas but they expired and the employees had to leave until they were up to date on their papers. Why would Walmart even chance that?

Predatory pricing, I know nothing about. People must not notice, or care, because they fill our store up every day.

Ooops, I missed the anti-union. I couldn't care less about a union nor could any of our employees. Our bennies are as good as any union would get us, the pay is going up and I, for one, don't wish to pay union dues on top of everything else. We have around 400 employees in our store and most of them are okay with being there. If they aren't, they leave. There are other jobs around here they can take.

Any other mistreatments that you can think of??

Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM

36,914 posts, read 45,365,815 times
I don't go there often, but I was there today. I was shopping online for a present for a baby. I haven't shopped for a baby for many years, but when I buy a children's toy, I like to buy one that's looks like fun for me, in case I am forced to play with the baby.
Anyway, I shopped online and had two toys in mind. I looked at both of them, and the one I wanted was $9. more in the store than online.
I ordered it for store pickup and will pick it up in the next few days. It is hard to find fault with that kind of convenience.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,935,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't go there often, but I was there today. I was shopping online for a present for a baby. I haven't shopped for a baby for many years, but when I buy a children's toy, I like to buy one that's looks like fun for me, in case I am forced to play with the baby.
Anyway, I shopped online and had two toys in mind. I looked at both of them, and the one I wanted was $9. more in the store than online.
I ordered it for store pickup and will pick it up in the next few days. It is hard to find fault with that kind of convenience.

They'll usually price match their own website if you go into the store and just show them on a phone what the price is. I bought a new beard clipper from Target a few days ago and price matched it off their website for a $10 discount and had absolutely no problem.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:16 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,664,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
So you're not really buying American as much as shopping locally. Interesting.
Well obviously yes. Factories are fossils in this country so I don't have a choice. But I do have a choice who I buy from and I choose local.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
Buying from artists and craftspeople sounds nice but seriously where do you buy your toilet paper? Also, I've never seen an independently owned toy store and I don't know any artists that can make a toaster.
I buy toilet paper at Schiel's Family Market or Wegmans.

The toy store I was talking about is Humpheys Apparel and Toys.

I didn't say artists made toasters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melovescookies View Post
I'm saying Wal-Mart is the only option but if it's not Wal-Mart it's generally going to be another big name corporate company. I wish that it wasn't this way but it is.
No its not. Not in all areas of the country. Apparently I'm lucky to live where I live.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
All the things I highlighted in your answer are not true. Everyone gets their breaks and lunch. Once in a while they may be a little late, depending on business/employees who do or do not, show up/anything unavoidable. Breaks aren't determined by the CSMs but by a tasking machine that send employees where they are needed so those employees get their breaks and lunches.

They ARE compensated for all their hours worked and that's why they insist that nobody work over their scheduled hours. We aren't even supposed to stop and answer a customers questions if we are on break or off the clock and if we do we are supposed to adjust our time. Nobody does because we think that's a totally silly 'rule'.

The wage thing, I can agree with...to a point. Everyone starts the same ($8.25 hr., or more depending on the position and what hours worked) but it doesn't take long to make more. And, as I wrote on another post, all employees making less than $10 an hour have been given a $1 hour raise which will show up on their paychecks this week. The first of the year they'll receive another $1 hour. That will raise the average wage considerably.

They do not hire people part time to avoid benefits. Part timers have plenty of benefits, almost as many as full time. Sometimes it takes longer to go into effect but they are eligible for most everything including 401k and health insurance. Many people who work at Walmart only want part time, especially the older people and some start part time but go full time eventually.

Nobody is allowed to work off the clock. They are very strict about this. Some of these things DID used to happen but it's years and years, changes were made and they are no longer happening. Not for a long time. I think it's funny that people never hear of changes being made so the same ol' stuff is still being bandied about like it's true. It's not.

Walmart uses E-Verify and they not hire undocumented workers...unless one happens to slip through for some reason. Recently we had two employees on work visas but they expired and the employees had to leave until they were up to date on their papers. Why would Walmart even chance that?

Predatory pricing, I know nothing about. People must not notice, or care, because they fill our store up every day.

Ooops, I missed the anti-union. I couldn't care less about a union nor could any of our employees. Our bennies are as good as any union would get us, the pay is going up and I, for one, don't wish to pay union dues on top of everything else. We have around 400 employees in our store and most of them are okay with being there. If they aren't, they leave. There are other jobs around here they can take.

Any other mistreatments that you can think of??
Quebec Rules Against Wal-Mart in Closing of Unionized Store - NYTimes.com

Illegally in U.S., and Never a Day Off at Wal-Mart - NYTimes.com

Wal-Mart seeks to 'organize' labor its own way - Apr. 25, 2006

Wal-Mart Says 'Save Money Live Better,' But Workers Don't Make Living Wage And Rely On State Benefits

Employees Sue Wal-Mart for Overtime - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/bu...eady.html?_r=0

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/bu...art.ready.html

Old 04-21-2015, 05:47 PM

8,561 posts, read 9,622,055 times
Did you even LOOK at the dates on those articles??? From 2002 to 2006. The only one that's fairly recent is the one about wages in 2013. That janitor story says that the people who did those jobs were hired by a contractor who does work for Walmart. They didn't work directly for Walmart, even though lower in the article it says there were conversations between Walmart and the contractors. It isn't Walmart's job to vette contractors employees. And that's another very old article as well. This is what I'm talking about when I say that yes, those things probably DID happen but they were corrected and do not, anymore. My store doesn't use outside contractors for jobs like floor cleaning, etc.. Our own overnight people do that.

As for Walmart employees being on welfare...a lot of the adults who hire on there ARE on food stamps. I was. I was even told that I could continue to get $16 a month. Some said okay and I said no thanks. There ARE some single moms still getting some food stamps and insurance for their kids. They no longer get insurance for themselves once they start that job. The more money they make the less they get in food stamps but they'd rather have their jobs anyway. As a cashier I know which employees use food stamps and which don't. Not that many do. There used to be a rumor that Walmart TOLD their new hires how to get welfare and that has NEVER been true.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:05 PM

5,630 posts, read 2,267,950 times
I bought a pair of boots 18 months ago, $49.00 and imagine I can get 6 more months out of them. A great deal but for the most part their prices (Auburn Wa Walmart) can be beat easily with a little footwork.

They do regularly stock boxes of raspberry Zingers which I keep a supply of in my tool chest at work. I need to restock.

I really don't see what the big deal about Walmart is. Very little of what we buy anywhere is made in America by Americans. I can't see how pointing the finger at a single company can solve anything. The problems higher up, in politics and the people we place in power. They're prostitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events