Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 06:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,563,595 times

Advertisements

I have 3 kids and went through tons of formula and diapers. Walmart is not cheap at all. Had to go to BJs for all our formulas and diapers and saved a lot.

Walmart formula $24.98 for 1.45lb while BJs sells 2.13lbs for only $31.99

Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron Powder, Stage 1, Available in Single or Twin Pack - Walmart.com

Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1 Powder Formula, 34 Oz. - BJ's Wholesale Club

For $6 more BJ's Similac baby formula is almost twice the size of Walmart's.

And no, Walmart can't price match because they don't carry this extra large size and formulas they never match price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,219,386 times
1.4 Million Americans work for Wal-Mart, its the nation's largest retailer as well as private employer.

Not only that, they have a pretty high turnover of employees, 44% a years, meaning 600,000 or so Americans join the ranks of ex-Walmart associates each year. Over the past 20 years, that adds up to 12 million ex-Walmarters, who all have families and friends.

If they really treated their employees like crap, worse than anyone else, they wouldn't be in business today with that many people hating their guts.

Almost everyone has other options, little that is offered by Walmart can't be bought at Family Dollar, Target or Kmart or dozens of other chain or individual stores, brick and mortar or online. Its just not good business practice to treat employees badly, especially in a store that relies on such a broad market.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,667,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I have 3 kids and went through tons of formula and diapers. Walmart is not cheap at all. Had to go to BJs for all our formulas and diapers and saved a lot.

Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron Powder, Stage 1, Available in Single or Twin Pack - Walmart.com

Similac Advance Infant Formula Stage 1 Powder Formula, 34 Oz. - BJ's Wholesale Club

And no, Walmart can't price match because they don't carry this extra large size and formulas they never match price.

A savings of $0.14 an ounce, certainly significant, about a savings of $4.50 if Walmart carried the same size and a good deal.

The problem with warehouse clubs(I've never been to BJ's) such as Costco and so on is that while they have a lot of great values, they have an infinitesimally lower amount of SKU's, so while you can get a great deal on some things, you're going from around 100,000 SKU's to roughly about 4,000 so with values comes some limitations. One of my greatest frustrations with Costco has been that they'll randomly just stop carrying products that I really like right out of the blue.

They are nice for the deals that you can get or if you have a REALLY big family but I've never been able to get all my shopping done at Costco and I do find that quite a few of the items are more expensive than what I can buy in a store. Organic milk for example runs $10 for three half gallons at Costco. If I go to Fry's, I can get a single half gallon for under $3.00. Some items based on the bulk price, simply aren't worth it.

Why Wal-Mart Will Never Pay Like Costco - Bloomberg View

Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,264,523 times
When you're on Social Security, you appreciate the prices for staples (albacore, olives, soups, many Hispanic foods) at Walmart. If the major supermarket chains would offer these items at a reasonable price, we would shop there. As it is, we feel no responsibility to support the stores which want more of our fixed income. Why should we? To make a political statement? With the political parties we have in this country? Don't make me laugh.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:54 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,610,333 times
Because they want to; its still a free country last I knew;OP.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM

450 posts, read 505,375 times
Since we moved to a small rural town about a year ago, our shopping options are pretty limited.

For groceries, there are select basic items that we buy there all the time: crackers, soup, canned-this-or that, I find their bakery and meat and cheese depts. to be superior to some of their competitors who charge more and offer less selection (ie. Safeway).

For mundane things like socks and underwear. No-brainer. Little kids' clothes, no-brainer there either. Cleaning supplies, paper goods, school/office supplies, books and other non-designer items like that are simply a lot cheaper.

Would I buy my clothes there? No. It takes me about an hour to drive to the nearest mall offering nicer stores for clothing etc.

WM is 8 miles from my home. Target almost 20 miles. Do the math. Most people work hard for their money and their time is valuable. I'm not about to spend extra money to have designer paper plates stacked in my pantry.

Am I one of those "women of WalMart"? NO! I don't walk around in inappropriate clothing with a troop of screaming kids knocking things off shelves etc. I haven't seen anyone at our local WM that portrays that image. Just local people going to the store that is most convenient and affordable in our area.

I don't discuss politics on the internet, so comment either way on that...

Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 PM

37,478 posts, read 45,740,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Did you even LOOK at the dates on those articles??? From 2002 to 2006.
No people don't want to actually research it and risk finding out that they need to take up another cause.
They just want to jump on the band wagon. Any wagon will do.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:05 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,864,558 times
If someone thinks that it is possible to live by purchasing products from only sinless companies, you're living in a dream world. Check out the factories that build Apple products in China.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:00 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,797,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

WRONG! Sam's Club sells this size for $31.98

Similac Advance Infant Formula with Iron, Stage 1 (34 oz.) - Sam's Club]

BJ's can kick the can, man!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:05 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,667,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post

That doesn't help much if you don't have a membership there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events