Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 06:26 AM

40,929 posts, read 48,922,470 times

Advertisements

They sell Ammo cheap and had it in stock during the shortage when no one else had it.

That's why I go on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 AM

21,397 posts, read 10,465,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I HATE shopping at Walmart and it sickens me to know a lot of money I spend there is going to China from the articles I buy.

The REASON I shop at Walmart? We live in a small, fairly remote city in Northern Ontario and all our department stores are closed up and gone. Walmart took over. I like to shop at Canadian Tire and Sears Canada, but there are many articles that you can't get there, so I end up at Walmart.
Does it sicken you to know your money spent on your iPhone or Android is going to China?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Everywhere WalMart goes you find a drop in property values, businesses closing, higher pollution, more people on welfare (many of whom work at WalMart) and a distinct disregard for their workers and the people who buy their products.

This is so not true. Walmart goes into small towns that has very limited shopping choices. They create jobs, better produce, better selection and they create jobs.

Ever been to small town USA? If you're lucky you get a Dollar store which is basically a small Walmart.

Most of the rural areas appreciate the Walmarts / Dollar type Stores. It gives them someplace to shop and job opportunities for their teens.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Does it sicken you to know your money spent on your iPhone or Android is going to China?
Not to mention the cars you drive and much of the wine / food you eat.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,896,264 times
I don't. I shop at a nearby grocery store which basically has the same prices of Wal-Mart with better selection. For general merchandise I can just head over to the local dollar store which is cheaper than Wal-Mart. The atmosphere in Walmart just depresses me, but most likely because my local Walmart is located in an area where the majority of the population is on some kind gov't assistance.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:25 AM

4,969 posts, read 5,227,577 times
I shopped at Wal-Mart when it was really the only place to shop because there were no other stores. That particular Wal-Mart was well stocked and had a variety of items. I now go once every couple of months or so because some else wants to go there or is given a WM giftcard we can't use anywhere else. I went there on Friday because it was in the same shopping center as Best Buy. My husband wanted something at Best Buy. I'd rather pick my nose than to hang out in Best Buy so I went to Wal-Mart to kill time.

For others, Wal-Mart has an anything goes atmosphere. You can return junk you shoplifted without a receipt. There is no dress code. Bathing and grooming are optional. Specific clothing and style is also optional at times. If the other stores in town are having a sale, then Wal-Mart is too. If you buy something and it breaks, you can return it. They are open 24 hours so you come come in for the munchies. There are normal people who just want to go one place, get it done and go home.

Some people think shopping there saves them money. I disagree with that. I've done price comparisons between stores. Wal-Mart prices are not always the lowest price. I also live some place with more competition in stores. I'm not going there to price match groceries when I can shop without the herd at a store that has better quality merchandise. Wal-Mart has developed a mentality of you better get this now when you see it. People just mindlessly buy things without taking into account what they are really buying.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,195,765 times
Those two documentaries came out a good 10 years ago; assuming their portrayal was accurate to begin with, how much of it is even relevant now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Apparently no one has watched the documentary "Is WalMart Good For America?" or "Walmart-the High Cost of Low Price". They are on Youtube. Or examine the dozens of lawsuits levied against and won against WalMart. Then decide if how you spend your dollar matters.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:30 AM

25,695 posts, read 21,849,661 times
We avoid them as much as possible but they have put so many businesses out of business that there is no way in our relocation that we can totally avoid them. I think that online business is giving others a chance. But, call Amazon, you get Amazon India - someone names "Tina" with a East Indian accent and everyone in the background also with an East Indian accent. Same deal with Target. Sending customer service jobs to India and just leaving us with "must be able to lift 50 lbs", I have an issue with that also.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 AM

11,593 posts, read 5,639,001 times
To the poster who's upset that most of Walmart products are "made in China" - have you actually looked at where your items are made even from the high end stores - Ecko - made in China - a Kenneth Cole $125 jacket I bought at Macy's for $6.99 - made in China ect. ect..

There aren't many items we use that are made i the good old USA anymore. Dole even packages their produce outside of the USA. My mom stopped buying the fruit cups because they were packaged outside of the US after reading an article about other countries lack of safety standards. I had her look at the other similar items like Del Monte - all packaged outside the US. I then told her that if she actually knew the number of bug parts the Food Administration says is acceptable for the US standards - she's end up starving herself.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:31 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,910,848 times
1. Because it is the closest store to my home.
2. Because it has low prices (usually).
3. Because it has the same goods as Target, but Target is over 5 miles farther away.
4. Because it has the same groceries as Albertson's, but Albertson's is almost as far away as Target.
5. Because it would be stupid and environmentally unsound to burn the fuel to go twice as far to spend more money on the same goods!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events