U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 03:15 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,397,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
You really need to take aim at the cause, not the symptom. And you need to understand the causes. The welfare system is a symptom of need, not a cause.
I challenge you to do just a LITTLE RESEARCH.

The people below the poverty line in the USA have LARGE PERCENTAGES of the same luxuries the "not poor" have.

Air conditioning, cellphones, microwaves, cars....the list goes on and on.

AND with something like $35K income, Americans are in the top level of "wealth" in the world.

It used to be with only $50K, you were in the one percent or 10 percent of the world or something outrageous like that.

The typical person in the bottom 5 percent of the American income distribution is still richer than 68 percent of the world’s inhabitants.

Stop believing the lies.

Big government central planning Progressives NEED a permanent underclass to keep the GOVERNMENT BIG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 03:23 PM

10,608 posts, read 13,397,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not arguing about it varying, or that your store has a good selection of produce, but wow that is not what I have found in stores both in Northern California and Northern Nevada; it almost always goes like this for me:

Do you have kale, kohlrabi, asparagus, artichokes, turnips, bak choy, parsnips, heirloom tomatoes, and the answer has always been NO, and these are super Walmart's, and I don't think any of those are considered esoteric vegetables,all of the chain grocers carry them- why not Walmart?
Bull.

LOL oh right. HEIRLOOM TOMATOES and kohlrabi hahahahaha.

Not even at PUBLIX. And even artichoke hearts are not a STAPLE.

And I suggest you actually CHECK Walmart's list.

I shop there and they certainly DO have kale, asparagus, artichokes, turnips, BOK choy etc etc etc.

And ORGANIC.

Fresh 1 Asparagus 1ct: Produce : Walmart.com

kale - Walmart.com

Old 04-22-2015, 03:49 PM

3,210 posts, read 2,818,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Bull.

LOL oh right. HEIRLOOM TOMATOES and kohlrabi hahahahaha.

Not even at PUBLIX. And even artichoke hearts are not a STAPLE.

And I suggest you actually CHECK Walmart's list.

I shop there and they certainly DO have kale, asparagus, artichokes, turnips, BOK choy etc etc etc.

And ORGANIC.

Fresh 1 Asparagus 1ct: Produce : Walmart.com

kale - Walmart.com
I think what Wal-Mart carries is based on location. I've seen Wal_Marts that carry a wide variety of items when they are in an area that is more rural. In the cities where there is more competition, they don't have as much selection.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 9 days ago)

14,423 posts, read 16,702,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I think what Wal-Mart carries is based on location. I've seen Wal_Marts that carry a wide variety of items when they are in an area that is more rural. In the cities where there is more competition, they don't have as much selection.
They also buy locally when possible, so there are more and cheaper of the foods they can buy from the area and less and more expensive of the stuff they have to bring in.

I've never been unable to find what I was looking for when it was in season.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:51 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,040,342 times
I know it's almost cherry season. ( Yummy)

Wal-mart buys 70--75 percent of their apples and cherries from Washington.

Feeding Walmart | Washington and Puget Sound Business News Source | Seattle Business Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
They also buy locally when possible, so there are more and cheaper of the foods they can buy from the area and less and more expensive of the stuff they have to bring in.

I've never been unable to find what I was looking for when it was in season.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:56 PM

8,388 posts, read 7,382,268 times
We shop for perishables at the local independant store, which are much higher than Walmart with much less choice.. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Walmart or any other grocery store than the local independant.

We buy non perishables from walmart.com. As we always buy more than $50 at a time, they ship it to our door. The other day, I sat at my computer and placed a $257 order for groceries, etc. Took 30 minutes, less than it would have taken in a Walmart store and not having to fight our way through crowded aisles. There is a much larger choice of items, and bigger sizes than available at the Super Walmarts. Saved between an hour and 2 hours driving time. Delivered within a week, and set inside our door by FedEx. Did not have to drive one to 2 hours, and have to load the car from carts. Saved $10 to $15 in gasoline, and wear and tear on our car driving to a store. We have found a lot of time due to the wider choice we can buy a lot of things cheaper on line than driving to Walmart.

Going to Walmart or any grocery store except for perishables, is the old fashioned way of shopping for groceries. Today a lot of us are moving to have our groceries delivered, do away with crowded stores, save money on fuel and wear and tear on the car, save time and a lot less work and not nerve wracking.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:10 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,087,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I am an old lady living on Social Security and I manage NOT to shop at Walmart. It's not hard.
Fine enough, but do you shop at Target, KMart, Family Dollar, Dollar General or other discount chains?

Walmart isn't any different from any of its competitors in its purchasing or personnel policies. All of the big chains try to get the best price, offer products from around the world and none of the entry level employees make a bundle at any of the places.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,797,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fine enough, but do you shop at Target, KMart, Family Dollar, Dollar General or other discount chains?

Walmart isn't any different from any of its competitors in its purchasing or personnel policies. All of the big chains try to get the best price, offer products from around the world and none of the entry level employees make a bundle at any of the places.

This. Making a principled stand by not shopping at Walmart only to go and shop at Target or K-Mart is just pointless, the exact same negatives that people point out about Walmart are applicable to those stores as well. Target pays even less than Walmart does but since they give off a hipper, less redneck aura, they're far more welcome into coastal liberal areas.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:39 PM

8,282 posts, read 9,117,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sam's Club is on par with BJs that you require a membership which is not the same as Walmart.

I love shopping at Sams Club also than at Walmart.

I get free samples while Walmart never gives out free samples.

Memberships pays for itself if you have kids, the savings from purchasing discounted products adds up. Just from paper towels and cleaners alone if I purchase from Walmart it cost more than the price of the membership at any wholesale club.
Don't know about in general but my store does. We have two different ladies that are there handing out samples of various items, and coupons to purchase, nearly every day.

Old 04-22-2015, 06:42 PM

9,510 posts, read 14,306,716 times
I live in one of those very rural areas mentioned back on Page 1 of this tome. WalMart built their smallest stores here and in Indiana as test markets. Both stores prospered. No local outlets closed because the local outlets are focused on our rural outdoor market. WalMart is focused on the dependency class. I have a rule: Never shop at WalMart if the first day of the month falls on a Wednesday. That is because the EBT cards get topped off and social security and retirement checks all become available that day. There is a reason that the people in stores that day are called WalMartians. They even have whole sections on FaceBook and YouTube about them.

When the store opened here some 20 years ago there was a huge sign across the front about 10 feet high and 50 feet long:

Satisfaction Guaranteed

When they renovated the store last year they painted over the sign. Walmart learned that there are some people that cannot be satisfied no matter how hard you try. Read back through this thread and you will meet some of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events