Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 05:24 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,720 times

Advertisements

you can find me in walmart probably twice a week, sams probably 2-3 times a month

why?

because they have what i need for a good price

if you people hate wm, dont go there, why are they even on your minds?

i assume you like Target (Tar⊙Zyay) though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
We've stopped going there only to replace it with Target or another big box store. The problem with Wal-Mart is the same problem with other stores they pay their employees low wages & for the most part everything is outsourced. You can't get away from in really.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:08 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Some of us think that if you want to help the poor, charging them less for necessities is one place you might start.
No. Poor happens for many reasons and at different levels. For some, their 'poverty' is the result of bad choices. Wal-Mart actually enables bad choices for some. They see items at a price within their reach. It's quite convenient to grab some wants without taking into account needs. It is a disincentive for actual planning on how to accumulate wealth and savings.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:19 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And if you don't want to run around to 3 different stores to pick up the sale items, you can get price match for them at Walmart.
Obviously, there are some rules and restrictions.
You can do that. My grocery stores have better quality produce and meat. If you ever do a price comparison, Wal-Marts everyday prices are not always lower. My local grocery stores often have more local ties than Wal-Mart. I feel like I keep more money in my community when I shop local. I don't run around to three different grocery stores for better deals. If I shop three different grocery stores it is because they have something specialized that I want. For instance, our local stores make sushi in-store. I have a favorite place for that. I have another favorite place for in-store made tortillas. Another store carries some other special products.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
I don't care what the cost is, Walmart is a virus.

I was actually part of a team in Denver that stopped Walmart from opening an "urban store" that would have crushed local mom and pops:

Walmart pulls out of 9th and Colorado redevelopment project in Denver - The Denver Post

Old 04-23-2015, 06:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I hate Walmart and usually go somewhere else. However, a few weeks ago I needed some things at 7 a.m., and the Target across the street didn't open till 8. We also went camping last summer and needed supplies, and Walmart was the only place around.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:37 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,359 times
Ummm, most businesses pay their employees minimum wage or close to it if they can get away with it.

Sure, people can give a few example of stores that pay their employees higher wages, but for the most part, anyone who is working a cashiering/fast food job/whatever is going to get paid a small paycheck.

Let's not just blame Walmart for that, k?

Old 04-23-2015, 09:44 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
And if you don't want to run around to 3 different stores to pick up the sale items, you can get price match for them at Walmart.
Obviously, there are some rules and restrictions.
I never ran around to 3 different stores and Walmart only price-matches on advertised sale prices. Most sale prices are not advertised. Walmart also makes it a pain in the butt to match sale prices, always needing a manager to approve it, making the checkout process take twice as long.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
You can do that. My grocery stores have better quality produce and meat. If you ever do a price comparison, Wal-Marts everyday prices are not always lower. My local grocery stores often have more local ties than Wal-Mart. I feel like I keep more money in my community when I shop local. I don't run around to three different grocery stores for better deals. If I shop three different grocery stores it is because they have something specialized that I want. For instance, our local stores make sushi in-store. I have a favorite place for that. I have another favorite place for in-store made tortillas. Another store carries some other special products.

I agree with this. I usually find better quality and often cheaper produce at various grocery stores such as Safeway, Fry's and Sprouts out here.

Each store seems to have their basic strengths and there's only so many items I'll buy at each place. My normal grocery shopping has me going to Costco, Fry's or Safeway and sometimes Sprouts and WalMart as well as some local farmers markets.

The way I look at it, if you don't like Walmart, don't shop there, its perfectly fine to do, but don't be like the OP and act all upset when other people choose to do so.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,685,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I really liked the Walmart in Colorado Springs I used to shop at. It had all kinds of green cleaners and living green ****, that I am sure was attested to the fact that Coloradans are so health conscious. Now I shop here cause I can do a one stop shopping. Not fun running from store to store. I guess I support the Walton family fortune, while their workers struggle. This is what happens when you are poor.

If they weren't working at Walmart, what jobs do you imagine most of those workers would be doing and what expectation do you have that they would be paid anymore considering Walmart is actually one of the better paying big-box retailers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events