U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 PM

8,386 posts, read 7,379,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
You talk as if those stores are somehow better or more enlightened than Walmart. Target pays their employees even less.
Quote:
Do you have proof of that?
Absolutely. Here are the top 20 retail companies in the nation. As Walmart is now starting people at $10 an hour and raising others to $10 an hour that puts them in the top half dozen best paying retail companies in the nation. Look and see how many major high end retailers that did not even make the list. Fancy retail companies often pay minimum wage, plus periodic raises for longer term employees. Retail is not a high pay profession, and Walmart is one of the good guys pay wise.

The Top Hourly Wages In Retail Industry - Business Insider

Quote:
This is why capitalism got off track, it doesn't mean give into corporate greed and succomb. This is what's shrinking the middle class. It's time to re establish the mom and pop stores and take it back.
The public cannot afford for the retail business to go back to mom and pop stores only. There is no way that the public can afford to pay the high prices that would result from such a shift, as Mom and Pop stores often pay as much or more than Walmart sells their goods for. There is an old joke in the retail world.

Joke: The salesman was telling the shop owner, that if he increased the order by 20% he would get a 10% discount, and kept increasing the discount with the purchase of more goods. The store owner looked him in the eye and said, "Lets just cut to the end, How much do I have to order to get a 100% discount."

Manufacturing companies often cannot afford to handle small orders. Small orders increase their cost for the goods a great deal. The bigger the order, the cheaper they can sell wholesale, due to less cost of handling. Walmart, and others that buy in huge amounts, get the best possible prices.

Lets compare, men's relaxed fit denim Wrangler jeans. As Wrangler puts their name and 1 year guarantee on the jeans, Walmart is not selling a low quality as some think that is all Walmart sells. Walmart price, bundle of 2 pair, $32. Sears $50 each. And mom and pop stores due to their buying power, cannot compete with Sears. That is a good example of why so many people shop at Walmart.

Big box retailers, hold prices down so that lower income people can live decently. And don't think that only low income poor people shop at Walmart. If I can buy a pair of Wrangler jeans at Walmart for $16, why would I be stupid enough to go down to Sears and pay $50.

wrangler jeans - Walmart.com
Sears.com

And laying off the millions of people that work for the big retailers, would cause a huge jump in unemployment and the country cannot afford that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 02:37 PM

9,292 posts, read 5,792,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
I can shop there now because I actually read the labels. A lot of their stuff is now made in other places besides China. Unless I have too, like with electronics, I don't buy stuff made in China. A few years back, I bought very little there, now I can.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM

20,877 posts, read 22,462,461 times
I don't shop at WalMart because there isn't one around me and I don't drive. There is a Target that I can get to by the bus so I shop there. But if there were one nearby I would shop there.

For vilifying WalMart let me ask you this; do you drive a car? Where was it made? In the USA? Do you check to see where your purchases come from? Whole Foods buys products from China. Stores that tout home grown souvenirs like the "Made in Oregon" stores in Oregon all have many items made in China. Lots of clothing comes from overseas like Vietnam and India.

Many older people on Medicare choose WalMart prescription drug plans because they have by far the lowest prices for very costly prescriptions on the market these folks must have.

No one is exempt from shopping at or buying goods that come from a "Place of Evil.' There are only the elitists with more money who can afford to purchase items that are made locally but even they have goods that have been manufactured in the evil empires they look down upon others for supporting. And that goes from whatever banks they may bank at or investment portfolios they may own or food they buy.

In other words, they may pick on WalMart, but "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,085,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
That's interesting. About 10 years ago I almost took a cashier job at Target(got a better job offer so I never worked there) that started at $9 an hour. It's pretty crazy that they seem to have reduced pay for their employees in that time.
Neither Target nor any other chain retailers have the same rate for all of their stores.

Labor markets are different in a high cost of living place like California, than they are in inexpensive areas of the midwest or south.

The prices are different as well

Old 04-23-2015, 03:34 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,595,934 times
Of course I shop at Wal Mart where is am I going to get my high fashion clothing at?

Old 04-23-2015, 04:11 PM

14,174 posts, read 22,512,524 times
I don't shop there because the closest one to me is just dirty, overcrowded, and the shoppers and employees all look like they're one minor disaster away from living in a cardboard box. That, and I got burned years ago on those "low prices". You know, but something that seems too cheap to be true, then it breaks 2 months later. Or food items that are 15 minutes from their expiration date.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:16 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,355,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
And laying off the millions of people that work for the big retailers, would cause a huge jump in unemployment and the country cannot afford that to happen.
I'm not sure who's advocating for all of these employees to be laid off, but the impact wouldn't be as large as you think. These big retailers(and fast food chains) all pay so little that their employees largely rely on government assistance. The math works out to about $1,000,000 in government aid per Walmart store. If you did the math on all of the other retail giants and low-wage industries I'm sure it would add up to many times that in each community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Neither Target nor any other chain retailers have the same rate for all of their stores.
Labor markets are different in a high cost of living place like California, than they are in inexpensive areas of the midwest or south.
The prices are different as well
This was in the Midwest.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

27,237 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Bull.

LOL oh right. HEIRLOOM TOMATOES and kohlrabi hahahahaha.

Not even at PUBLIX. And even artichoke hearts are not a STAPLE.

And I suggest you actually CHECK Walmart's list.

I shop there and they certainly DO have kale, asparagus, artichokes, turnips, BOK choy etc etc etc.

And ORGANIC.

Fresh 1 Asparagus 1ct: Produce : Walmart.com

kale - Walmart.com
The vegetables I mentioned are ones that I regularly buy from other local grocery stores, i.e. Safeway, Savemart, Raleys, Bel-Air, Winco. And I don't give a crap what their website says, if they don't have asparagus in our local Walmart, what am I supposed to do, order it online?

I'm not attacking you for your infatuation with Walmart, so don't go after me because I commented on a very real issue, that at least some Walmart stores have crappy produce and a very limited selection of crappy produce. I'm not sure that Walmart even cares about selling produce, my guess is that there is more profit in Lays Potato Chips and no matter how much you loves the Walton's even you should admit they are probably not all that concerned about you and I eating our veggies

As far as kohlrabi, you should try it sometime, it's quite good

Old 04-23-2015, 04:50 PM

8,178 posts, read 14,267,784 times
Walmart has the products that my very small other grocery store doesn't. I have 2 choices, the tiny market or the small Wallyworld. I HATE that I have no choice - other than driving 45 minutes. I do not buy my meats at Walmart, I shop at a "local" butcher's over 40 miles away - or at the mini-grocery store in town. In town, but I do not live in a town. Not in the next town over, but through the 2 towns and out to the county area. When I need something on a Sunday, especially after 6 pm, Wally's is the only option unless it's something easy that the DollarGeneral has.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:05 PM

27,237 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Walmart has the products that my very small other grocery store doesn't. I have 2 choices, the tiny market or the small Wallyworld. I HATE that I have no choice - other than driving 45 minutes. I do not buy my meats at Walmart, I shop at a "local" butcher's over 40 miles away - or at the mini-grocery store in town. In town, but I do not live in a town. Not in the next town over, but through the 2 towns and out to the county area. When I need something on a Sunday, especially after 6 pm, Wally's is the only option unless it's something easy that the DollarGeneral has.
I get that..my sis in law is in exactly the same situation as you are; that's why I don't criticize people who do all their shopping at Walmart, but dang they don't need to be apologists for them and make excuses for them, they are what they are and i'm sure they are here to stay, at least until the Chinese come in and open an even bigger and cheap grocery chain, then they and Walmart can compete in a race to the bottom.

I consider myself very lucky, I have a number of alternative places to shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events