U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
Their parking lots are full 24/7/365 so yes, people do still shop at Wallymart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:19 PM

4,827 posts, read 6,940,322 times
Quote:
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?

Wal Mart is one of the main causes of our economic ruin????? NOT Wall Street? NOT big banks? NOT corrupt politicians??? No... Wal Mart..... LOLOLOLOL!!

Yes, I shop there and will continue to shop there. If I can get my hygiene products (name brand), office supplies, and certain food items for half the price I would pay elsewhere, guess where I'm buying??

You pay the big bucks. I'll bargain shop and get twice of what you're getting (exact same items) for the same amount (or less!)

Old 04-23-2015, 07:23 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,936,498 times
Quote:
This has nothing to do with Obama. This company forced many manufacturers in America into lowering their prices catastrophically, and this is has predated Obama by decades. The trade agreements Clinton made with China, the door of which was opened by Nixon, was accepted on the idea that China was a huge nation of potential consumers of American products. Except that didn't happen. People in China could not afford our products. And they flooded the market with the same product, made cheaper.

And do you realize that WalMart's employees are encouraged to get welfare, because they cannot afford WalMart's health plan, and many cannot afford food, period? Are you aware of the numbers of people who have lost their jobs and small companies when Walmart came into their town?

You really need to take aim at the cause, not the symptom. And you need to understand the causes. The welfare system is a symptom of need, not a cause. The idea that the only people on welfare are the undeserving is a myth that holds up to no scrutiny. The idea of Walmart gutting America is a well-established and factually based. It is literally un-American to turn a blind eye to what Walmart is doing, and its a cheap shot to blame the bottom- a typical trope that dissolves with any research.
This post bears repeating. The growth of poverty in America dates back to a time when Barack Obama was a school student. Manufacturing jobs started being sent overseas in great numbers long before he was a politician. We can credit the Reagan Administration for exacerbating that huge loss of good-paying jobs with its "supply-side economics." Reagan's desire to provide massive tax cuts for the wealthy did not result in the "trickle-down" improvements he promised.

Instead, these tax cuts brought a rapid ballooning of the federal debt, which wa s $934 billion dollars when Reagan took office in 1981. By the end of his second term, the debt had grown to an unimaginable $2.7 TRILLION, a three-fold increase, and Wall Street had been given a free rein to structure its policies to take from the poor and give to the rich.

All these policies did was put money in the pockets of people who bank their wealth and then transfer it to their children (with favorable tax structures for that brought about by lobbying from people like the Walton family. The "savings" of the 1% are rarely ever invested in anything that creates the kind of jobs people can use to support families.

As a result, joblessness has continued to grow and the working class has fewer and fewer unions to help them. It's a miracle we don't have MORE people who need food assistance to keep them able to even shop at a place like Walmart.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:28 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,041,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
This post bears repeating. The growth of poverty in America dates back to a time when Barack Obama was a school student. Manufacturing jobs started being sent overseas in great numbers long before he was a politician. We can credit the Reagan Administration for exacerbating that huge loss of good-paying jobs with its "supply-side economics." Reagan's desire to provide massive tax cuts for the wealthy did not result in the "trickle-down" improvements he promised.

Instead, these tax cuts brought a rapid ballooning of the federal debt, which wa s $934 billion dollars when Reagan took office in 1981. By the end of his second term, the debt had grown to an unimaginable $2.7 TRILLION, a three-fold increase, and Wall Street had been given a free rein to structure its policies to take from the poor and give to the rich.

All these policies did was put money in the pockets of people who bank their wealth and then transfer it to their children (with favorable tax structures for that brought about by lobbying from people like the Walton family. The "savings" of the 1% are rarely ever invested in anything that creates the kind of jobs people can use to support families.

As a result, joblessness has continued to grow and the working class has fewer and fewer unions to help them. It's a miracle we don't have MORE people who need food assistance to keep them able to even shop at a place like Walmart.
The bolded is crap. No one wanted to work in factories. Utter rubbish. My uncle was a vice president of a large manufacturing company in Texas for many years.. and no one was showing up for work, Hoss! How quickly we forget!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
The bolded is crap. No one wanted to work in factories. Utter rubbish. My uncle was a vice president of a large manufacturing company in Texas for many years.. and no one was showing up for work, Hoss! How quickly we forget!
WTF? Maybe it wasn't that they didn't want to work in a factory, maybe they didn't want to work for your uncle. Like it or not, what she said is the truth, Reagan started this snowball from hell and no one has either been willing, or able to stop it since. When I was a kid in the late 50's we owned a home, my dad worked in a dynamite factory, I clearly remember our neighbors and they were all homeowners; a teacher, a guy who made american standard toilets, another man who was a clerk in an auto parts store and a grocery clerk. Most factory jobs were union and had a pension plan. In the late 70s my husband and I bought our first home and things were very similar to what they were in the 50's, good jobs with pensions that could support a family.

Now what do we have? few unions, almost no jobs with retirement plans and jobs that once could support a family (like the ones I named) are either gone, or the wages have been cut so much that the jobs won't support one person let alone a family. And a whole lot of you act like it's a great thing that this happened to us and you seem to celebrate the fact that even though your real wages haven't gone up in 20 or 30 years you all can go shop at Walmart and buy gobs of cheap junk and it makes you all warm and fuzzy

Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,041,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
WTF? Maybe it wasn't that they didn't want to work in a factory, maybe they didn't want to work for your uncle. Like it or not, what she said is the truth, Reagan started this snowball from hell and no one has either been willing, or able to stop it since. When I was a kid in the late 50's we owned a home, my dad worked in a dynamite factory, I clearly remember our neighbors and they were all homeowners; a teacher, a guy who made american standard toilets, another man who was a clerk in an auto parts store and a grocery clerk. Most factory jobs were union and had a pension plan. In the late 70s my husband and I bought our first home and things were very similar to what they were in the 50's, good jobs with pensions that could support a family.

Now what do we have? few unions, almost no jobs with retirement plans and jobs that once could support a family (like the ones I named) are either gone, or the wages have been cut so much that the jobs won't support one person let alone a family. And a whole lot of you act like it's a great thing that this happened to us and you seem to celebrate the fact that even though your real wages haven't gone up in 20 or 30 years you all can go shop at Walmart and buy gobs of cheap junk and it makes you all warm and fuzzy
People didn't want to work in factories and that is absolutely why the companies went overseas.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:07 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,949,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

Globalization and competition from all over the world at labor costs much lower than the US.

Like it or not this is the future and it's going to get worse.

Low level jobs pay low salaries. Low salaries produce low revenue to Uncle Sam (FICA and income tax).

The insurance programs we are all forced to pay into (SS and Medicare) are going broke.
The social welfare programs are expanding and costing more each year.

Now does our future look bright ?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:08 PM

27,294 posts, read 11,408,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
People didn't want to work in factories and that is absolutely why the companies went overseas.
I have never heard of anything so absurd, what did they do rather than work in a factory? Stay home and go on welfare, go to work picking cotton?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 11 days ago)

14,426 posts, read 16,710,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We shop for perishables at the local independant store, which are much higher than Walmart with much less choice.. It takes about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Walmart or any other grocery store than the local independant.

We buy non perishables from walmart.com. As we always buy more than $50 at a time, they ship it to our door. The other day, I sat at my computer and placed a $257 order for groceries, etc. Took 30 minutes, less than it would have taken in a Walmart store and not having to fight our way through crowded aisles. There is a much larger choice of items, and bigger sizes than available at the Super Walmarts. Saved between an hour and 2 hours driving time. Delivered within a week, and set inside our door by FedEx. Did not have to drive one to 2 hours, and have to load the car from carts. Saved $10 to $15 in gasoline, and wear and tear on our car driving to a store. We have found a lot of time due to the wider choice we can buy a lot of things cheaper on line than driving to Walmart.

Going to Walmart or any grocery store except for perishables, is the old fashioned way of shopping for groceries. Today a lot of us are moving to have our groceries delivered, do away with crowded stores, save money on fuel and wear and tear on the car, save time and a lot less work and not nerve wracking.
When we have bad weather coming, just in case, I'll order online and if it does get bad I don't have to worry. I've also found that some of the brands and types of pet food the local store doesn't have are online, and I don't have to drag a fifty pound bad to the house, just in the door.

It's also a way to save money. This is, when you go to the store you have a list but there are always 'things' which just seem to jump into your basket. Online you even get a total before you buy, and if its above budget you can prune. That's easier said than done in the store.

And I don't buy five 99 cents packages of junior mints....

Old 04-23-2015, 08:12 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,217,359 times
Some of us are old enough to know, but not that old, that during the 80's when people lost their factory jobs they were not happy to have their jobs move to Mexico, China.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events