U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,238,490 times

Advertisements

After reading a bunch of the posts in this thread, try as I might I am still unable to stick my nose up into the air as far as a lot of you seem to be able.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,815,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
You won't go to Walmart due to the wages they pay, so you prefer to go to other chain stores, that pay even less than Walmart and offer the same or less benefits. What is the logic of that?

Walmart is one of the best paying retail stores in the nation, which is something you don't seem to be aware of. It is only your imagination, that people in other stores are better paid, and have more benefits.

Boy are you wrong. They sell exactly the same quality merchandise that other stores sell. Often the very exact thing from the same manufacturer, and can be as low as 1/3rd to price. As I pointed out yesterday using an example of Wrangler Jeans. Wrangler an old time American company, has closed all their manufacturing facilities in the United States with the last one closing in 2005. Those jeans are made in factories around the world. The same jeans were for sale at Sears and at Walmart. Sears price $50 a pair, and 2 pair for $32 at Walmart.

What so many don't seem to know, is that so many retail stores are owned by the same people, just operating under different names. And many are huge operations when all their holdings are revealed. Retail is all big business.

Both Sears and K-Mart are both owned by Sears Holding Company. Other holdings are Lands End, and Shop Your Way the big web based retail operations.

Other stores that are in the same ownership.

Safeway and Albertson's are the same company and many smaller groups of stores around the company have been taken over by Safeway for the past few decades, as Safeway bought and sold stores.

The Kroger Co. the countries larges grocery chain operates grocery retail stores under the following names: Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Owen's, Jay C, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes, Scott's Food & Pharmacy, Harris Teeter as well as multiple-department stores - Fred Meyer,Dillons Marketplace, Fry's Marketplace, King Soopers Marketplace, Kroger Marketplace, Smith's Marketplace and warehouse stores including Food 4 Less, and Foods Co

The fifth largest specialty retail chain is the Gap, which owns---Old Navy, Gap, and Banana Republic to try to capture every part of the price market. Cheapest Old Navy, higher priced Gap, highest price Banana Republic.

Department Stores

Bloomingdale's is owned by Macy's.

Neiman Marcus and Saks, both owned by Canadians.

Target owns Mervyns department stores

These are just a few samples, and just some of the most prominent. In the last few years, ownership has been changing rapidly. Retail is so intermingled, it is not even comical.

When people get mad at Walmart because they are a big company, they are not considering so is much of the rest of retail. They say Walmart sells things from China, but so do all the other retail giants, and the mom and pop stores. You can go around between stores, and find the identical merchandise for sale, be it Walmart or one of the other stores.

Walmart is cheaper in most cases for one reason. They buy in larger quantities and can sell it for less. They also have a better distribution system that cuts costs and aids in selling cheaper.

Don't blame Walmart for putting mom and pop stores out of business, as there are many other retailers that can buy and sell merchandise in quantity, to be able to sell merchandise for the same or less than a mom and pop sells it for.

Here is an example of volume buying.

One summer the store was offered the chance to buy Lazy-Boy recliners at a great discount, if we bought a whole rail road car full of them, and let them use fabrics that were no longer offered due to having only limited amounts. We agreed on the condition that there had to be at least 2 chairs in any one fabric and color, and they were a certain grade or higher. The model selected, had a wholesale value of $129, and a retail value of $259. We made the purchase and held them to christmas. We priced them to hold our regular markup (profit margin over cost) at $88 each. We sold the entire car load within 3 weeks. We destroyed the recliner market for other stores. We sold the exact same chairs, as the others were offering for 3 times our price.

That is how Walmart buys goods. They buy enough to be able to sell at a lower price than other retail stores. Same factories in most situations. Buy cheaper, and own the distribution system getting it to the individual stores so that costs are cut greatly, and you can sell for less. That is their entire business plan in a nutshell. If it was not for Walmart forcing prices down around the retail world, people would be paying a lot more for the things they buy, no matter where they bought it.

Great post!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:25 PM

4,230 posts, read 5,780,683 times
Another first world problem is complaining about Wal Mart, but the irony is that Target gets a free pass.

The fact that Wal Mart is now the world’s largest retailer says they’re doing something right.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 PM

13,657 posts, read 29,660,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

2. They're selfish-people in general and don't care about the cheap plastic crap that destroys our environment, the sub-par wages that the government (i.e., they) subsidize, etc.
We should all run to Target and buy biodegradable TVs and vacuum cleaners.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
In fact in Florida something like 16,000 WalMart employees have to receive some form of assistance, WIC or food pantries or food stamps. In fact, of all the companies in America, none have more welfare recipients on its rolls than Walmart by a huge margin. And it is systematic that they encourage people to take assistance, instead of treating them fairly.
Walmart is one of the largest employers in the country (if not THE largest), so of course they're going to have more people on assistance. If K-Mart and Target had the same number of employees they'd have the same number of people on assistance as well.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,815,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Another first world problem is complaining about Wal Mart, but the irony is that Target gets a free pass.

The fact that Wal Mart is now the world’s largest retailer says they’re doing something right.

As I mentioned, its the double standard. Target and Walmart are pretty much the same when it comes to employee compensation, benefits, both are non-union, Target employees on average earn even less yet one is wholly acceptable by the nose way up in the air crowd and the other isn't.

There'd be nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to their opinion except I've found it rather remarkable that those who bash Walmart will praise Target on the exact same basis. Its never made any sense to me but people will see and hear what they want to I guess.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 PM

147 posts, read 492,321 times
Walmart bashers, I'm glad you have money to burn. We don't, so we shop Walmart. Their food prices are always significantly below grocery stores. It is not my obligation to enrich stockholders of Kroger, Whole Foods or any of the other grocery chains by paying more for my groceries in their stores. The same is true for Health and beauty Aids and clothing retailers.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
Walmart bashers, I'm glad you have money to burn.
I'd venture to say that a good number of Wal Mart bashers don't have much money to burn on staples that would be found at Wal Mart such as soap and shampoo. Have you looked and smelled the average hipster lately? The only reason they can afford $5 lattes and $8 craft beers is because they're strung out on student loans, credit cards and dad's money.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
As I mentioned, its the double standard. Target and Walmart are pretty much the same when it comes to employee compensation, benefits, both are non-union, Target employees on average earn even less yet one is wholly acceptable by the nose way up in the air crowd and the other isn't.

There'd be nothing wrong with that, everyone is entitled to their opinion except I've found it rather remarkable that those who bash Walmart will praise Target on the exact same basis. Its never made any sense to me but people will see and hear what they want to I guess.

Sometimes I wonder if it's because WalMart is based in Arkansas and mostly became popular in the South before spreading nationwide. The South as a whole is largely anti-union, so maybe that's why some tend to hate WalMart. Target is headquartered in Minnesota and K-Mart is headquartered in Michigan, so maybe that's why they get a pass?

Old 04-24-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Sometimes I wonder if it's because WalMart is based in Arkansas and mostly became popular in the South before spreading nationwide. The South as a whole is largely anti-union, so maybe that's why some tend to hate WalMart. Target is headquartered in Minnesota and K-Mart is headquartered in Michigan, so maybe that's why they get a pass?

How many corporate suits did Target recently kick to the curb? a few hundred? I wonder if they still shop at Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events