U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 06:30 PM

15,357 posts, read 15,358,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbguy View Post
Because WalMart drove most of the other choices out of business.

GOOD RIDDANCE!

Now I no longer have to pay $3.49 for a single, tiny, superglue.........repeat that scenario for many items
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,601,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Why does this always fall on Wal Mart?

How come CVS, Walgreens, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, Bed Bath and Beyond, Macy’s, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, Best Buy ect are not viewed as threats? Dare I even say Amazon?

Anyone who tells you that they don’t shop at these places is either intellectually dishonest or 1%-er wealthy. I’m not spending a few dollars more for the same toothbrush.
Because Wal Mart is one of the biggest employers around just like McDonalds is the biggest fast food chain.
Big mouths like M. Moore go after the biggest and paint 'em evil to profit themselves. Even if it's not true if it's said enough times and makes a big enough splash it becomes truth in "some" people's minds. That's how 1%'ers like Moore rose to the 1% from obscurity.

You don't hear about Taco Bell etc al nor do you hear screaming about chains like Denny's et al nor all the mom and pop's that only pay minimum wage. My wife happens to be employed by a mom and pop store that only pays $8.05 hr as a cashier. The owner told her "I pay what federal law says I have to pay" like he legally can't pay more than that. I'm sure some believe that line sadly.

That's ok though, she chooses to work there AND we don't expect that kind of job to support a family or even one person since that'd be completely STUPID (sorry, should have said unrealistic).

Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 PM

22,947 posts, read 21,601,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Actually, Walmart goes into small towns and destroys existing businesses. That might be what it does best.
Not always. I've seen Walmart come into a small town and listened to the locals start yammering and wringing their hands that they were going to be driven out of business. Guess what? Almost nobody was . They did some price adjusting and figured out if they provided superior service they might just survive and that's what happened.
Same thing when Depot and Lowes came to the valley. The major "local" builders supply is doing just fine after going through what I posted above.

Those that sat back and whined,cried and did NOTHING? Well, they used to be in business...

Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 PM

282 posts, read 287,415 times
So many Wally World shills on here

Its a shame , are they all stockholders?

So sorry for the people who can't shop elsewhere .... if it's cheap you'll buy it ? Hold on , I gotta bridge in Brooklyn to sell.....

Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 PM

12,878 posts, read 9,569,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
1 in 6 Americans are now living on foodstamps.
Clearly, need to scale back the criteria so that at most 1 in 50 can qualify. The others don't need it; they just want it.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:23 PM

12,878 posts, read 9,569,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Apparently no one has watched the documentary "Is WalMart Good For America?" or "Walmart-the High Cost of Low Price". ...

Just because a movie is a documentary does not mean it is non-fiction. Documentaries are made by directors who have a particular point of view -- such as that WalMart is indeed bad. Documentaries are not the movie equivalent of a peer-reviewed scientific analysis published in an academic journal. Many documentaries are so biased that they should be classified as fiction.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:29 PM

27,504 posts, read 11,569,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
How is it Walmart's responsibility to encourage other employers to raise their wages?

Why would the CEO not make more than the cashiers?

Cashiers' jobs aren't worth much more than minimum wage. And I was one (although at a convenience store) for several years before I wisened up and realized that it was MY responsibility to work harder and make my own way.

Plus, as has been mentioned time and time again, Walmart DOES pay more than Target, etc.

Did you even read my post? I never said it was their 'responsibility', this is what I said:

"oh my yes, it's completely unrealistic to think that a chain whose gross profit was 129 billion in 2014 might just put a little of that into their employees wages in order to encourage other employers to raise their employees wages...why should they; there is no law requiring them to be socially responsible and the race to the bottom is fun"

I get it that you think Walmart is the best thing since sliced bread, I won't criticize you for that, or argue about it. But just think what the impact could be if a company as big as Walmart decided to be the leader in raising employees wages so that people could actually earn enough money to live on.

As far as this silliness "why would the CEO not make more than the cashiers?" again, not something I even hinted at, but since you brought it up, the CEO of Walmart makes an astonishing 1,034 times the salary of the median wage of Walmart employees.

Walmart's CEO Paid 1,034 Times More Than The Median Walmart Worker: PayScale

enjoy those Wally World rollbacks, but don't lose sleep at night over whether or not they can afford to give you all those special deals on Lay's and Pepsi

Old 04-25-2015, 07:35 PM

922 posts, read 766,416 times
Hate Walmart but I do go there once in a while to cash checks ($3!), buy money order (79 cents!) and motor oil ($25!). OK, I admit I even like their fried chicken. As far as other items, I buy from Amazon, Target and local grocery stores because they are cheaper than Walmart.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 1,842,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you even read my post? I never said it was their 'responsibility', this is what I said:

"oh my yes, it's completely unrealistic to think that a chain whose gross profit was 129 billion in 2014 might just put a little of that into their employees wages in order to encourage other employers to raise their employees wages...why should they; there is no law requiring them to be socially responsible and the race to the bottom is fun"

I get it that you think Walmart is the best thing since sliced bread, I won't criticize you for that, or argue about it. But just think what the impact could be if a company as big as Walmart decided to be the leader in raising employees wages so that people could actually earn enough money to live on.

As far as this silliness "why would the CEO not make more than the cashiers?" again, not something I even hinted at, but since you brought it up, the CEO of Walmart makes an astonishing 1,034 times the salary of the median wage of Walmart employees.

Walmart's CEO Paid 1,034 Times More Than The Median Walmart Worker: PayScale

enjoy those Wally World rollbacks, but don't lose sleep at night over whether or not they can afford to give you all those special deals on Lay's and Pepsi
So what? If I were the CEO of a huge company like that, with that much responsibility, then I would want to get paid a ton of money as well.

Do you think the CEO of Target is paid anywhere close to as low as the cashiers make?

And ya know, sliced bread was a pretty darn exciting invention, but I have to say that I do like Walmart.

And don't worry...I don't lose sleep over anything, certainly not about Walmart, Lay's chips or Pepsi.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:05 PM

27,504 posts, read 11,569,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So what? If I were the CEO of a huge company like that, with that much responsibility, then I would want to get paid a ton of money as well.

Do you think the CEO of Target is paid anywhere close to as low as the cashiers make?

And ya know, sliced bread was a pretty darn exciting invention, but I have to say that I do like Walmart.

And don't worry...I don't lose sleep over anything, certainly not about Walmart, Lay's chips or Pepsi.
nope, he receives 597 times the median salary of a Target employee which is less than 1/2 of the Walmart CEO but still disgusting. But why mention Target to me? I don't shop there, you must have me confused with someone else. Just in case you want to see how the CEO of Walmart's salary stacks up against other CEO's here's a list for you:

Fortune 100's CEO to Employee Incomes Compared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events