U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 07:09 AM

4,750 posts, read 2,268,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China
Huh? The manufacturing base isn't destroyed, total US manufacturing output is quite strong. Maybe you're confusing employment with production?

Quote:
Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship?
Open up the computer you typed this post on, look at the writing on the parts. Among the parts from Taiwan and Korea you'll find things made in mainland China.

Are you patriotic?

Quote:
So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
Convenient and cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:12 AM

6,074 posts, read 5,128,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I agree with every post you've written on this thread.

I think this point needs to be repeated until it gets through some people's heads.

You used to be able to work in retail and support a family on it, often having only one parent work while the other stayed home with the kids. Think about that. Think hard. Why did it change and when?
The whole history of business can be summed up in two words: shrinking margins. A century ago, my little town of 1,000 people had a butcher, a creamery, an egg candlery, a dry goods store, a hardware store, and a bakery. Then sixty years ago some wise guy put in a "supermarket", 48 feet wide! It had a meat counter, a dairy and egg case, bread....everything. Put all those independent businesses out of business. And before that, the Sears catalog tore the hell out of Main Street business.

Nobody wants to go back to paying double or triple the margins required to OVERPAY retail help.

Shrinking margins. Sam Walton just got on the right side of history, in a big way.

I love Walmart. 120 million of us shop at Walmart every week. If you have four $20 bills to rub together, you can buy a percentage ownership interest in Walmart and get in on the action.

The xenophobic protectionist path to poverty is not the way to go.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,632,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
"oh my yes, it's completely unrealistic to think that a chain whose gross profit was 129 billion in 2014 might just put a little of that into their employees wages in order to encourage other employers to raise their employees wages...why should they; there is no law requiring them to be socially responsible and the race to the bottom is fun"
Why did you pick gross profit margin? Probably because it is a big number. It ought to be big when they sell almost $500B each year.

It isn't a particularly meaningful number other than to show how large a retailer WalMart is.

Walmart's gross profit margin is about 24%. Target's is 29%.

Walmart's net profit margin is 3.39%. So they sold $482B of goods last year, and after all of their costs, they have 3.39% left over.

https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NY.../Profitability
https://www.stock-analysis-on.net/NY.../Profitability

There have already been comparisons made here to Apple, every liberal's favorite company. They do almost everything the anti-corporate people hate. The make almost nothing in the US. Everything except software and the Mac workstation is made in China. They stash vast amounts of money outside the US. The run a hedge fun in Nevada to avoid California income taxes. iTunes is run from Brussels so the transactions aren't taxed in the US. They bully their suppliers, and were ruled to have been the instigators of a price fixing scheme for e-books. They hire mostly white and Asian men. But because people like their products, and they are fun and cool, they are a good company.

For the original question of this thread - I occasionally shop at Walmart because they have easily the best prices for many automotive supplies, especially oil. Walmart also recycles oil. Which is not only convenient for a DIY person like me, it is the right thing to do.

Last edited by hoffdano; 04-26-2015 at 08:03 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM

27,233 posts, read 11,383,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There have already been comparisons made here to Apple, every liberal's favorite company.
Do you know how much you demean your argument when you resort to labeling everything that you don't like liberal?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 AM

1,896 posts, read 1,134,021 times
We have a new "Neighborhood Market" by Walmart. The nearest store was Safeway, and they had no competition & their prices were sky high. Now we are blessed with the new market and a Dollar Tree and Safeway is waking up. Walmart prices and choices are great! My only complaint is that the beef is way over priced and really not that tasty. Still go to the local Safeway for beef.

Also, the employees at Walmart are helpful and seem glad to see us..............why not shop at Walmart. Oh, yeah, as someone mentioned buy stock in Walmart; wish I would have done that when I was much younger...may do that..seems like there are some that have made a bundle, with Walmart stock!!!!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:19 AM

549 posts, read 516,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
My primary vendor for home and business.
You can pay more if you want; somebody has to.
Perfect example of the thinking that got us to this point to begin with...

Old 04-26-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The xenophobic protectionist path to poverty is not the way to go.
given the context of that I'm not sure you even understand what that means. And I think it's just a lovely idea enable retailers to pay less than living wage by subsidizing wages with welfare, for one thing it will just accelerate the race to the bottom and at that point none of us will have to worry about making a living wage, we will all be good little soldiers in the Walmart army...let's see which side of your mouth you talk out of when that happens

Old 04-26-2015, 08:26 AM

Ikea received a lot of criticism for paying low wages to it's retail workers so they came up with the pledge that none of their workers will earn less than a living wage, so Ikea's wages vary from one location to another. Ikea to raise workers’ pay to a ‘living wage’ - The Washington Post

Here is the living wage calculator that they use: Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

What do you think?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM

4,230 posts, read 5,744,709 times
Quote:
Ikea received a lot of criticism for paying low wages to it's retail workers so they came up with the pledge that none of their workers will earn less than a living wage, so Ikea's wages vary from one location to another. Ikea to raise workers’ pay to a ‘living wage’ - The Washington Post

Here is the living wage calculator that they use: Living Wage Calculator - Introduction to the Living Wage Calculator

What do you think?
Why do people keep thinking retail hell at the **** ant level was meant to be a lifetime career with a good wage?

Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,632,366 times
Quote:
Do you know how much you demean your argument when you resort to labeling everything that you don't like liberal?
I don't actually label everything i dislike as liberal. I dislike many things conservatives do.

But the anti big business crowd is all liberals. They hate Walmart. But they consciously choose to ignore the company that does possibly more "bad" things than anyone else short of poisoning our food supply.

You are guilt of cherry picking meaningless data. Comparing CEO pay ratios between Walmart and a company like Apple is just dumb. Apple has a highly skilled professional work force. Walmart doesn't. If you compared CEO pay at Apple and included the contract workers in China, the ratio might almost be a divide by zero exception, producing a near infinity ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events