U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM

27,291 posts, read 11,400,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
My aunt's experience is the same, she never made very much until she moved up to being a department manager at Kroger, even now, relative to her experience, she still doesn't make very much even after 20+ years so I'm not sure where people are getting this rhetoric of "back in the day, people were making bank working in grocery stores."
In 2003 my son was making $19 an hour working for Albertson's grocery in Northern California. Next time I see him I will ask him if he has any old pay stubs so I can 'prove it' to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 09:57 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,817,253 times
Quote:
Which is the truth ultimately. As much as people reminisce about "mom and pop" stores and how great they were, creating a legend that only exists in their own minds, I grew up in the stereotypical small town with "mom and pop" businesses as the majority of stores in town. The nearest Walmart was probably a good 70 or 80 miles away. The largest store was a Safeway grocery store about 15 miles away.

Having had that experience, I don't get what people have to be so fond of. The smaller businesses had much shorter hours, usually closing at 5, 6 or 7 at the latest. We had two small local grocery stores, a pharmacy and a fruit market. There were few employees, the pay was universally low across the board, the overall selection was lacking and the prices were quite a bit higher than you might find in your regular grocery store.

Its great that people want to buy "local" but we have all these big box stores and grocery chains for a reason....there was demand for them, people wanted more of a selection for a lower price and more flexible hours. It isn't some sort of conspiracy, its just overall changes in the economy, filling what the market is demanding. Much as we don't have dealerships selling horse buggies, a lot of these smaller businesses simply couldn't fill the demand of what people were looking for at the time.
I know what you mean. Local businesses suck. I live in a teeny town on the outskirts of a bigger (although not big) city. There is a locally-owned grocery store here that I go to sometimes when I don't feel like driving 15-ish minutes "to town." The prices are 1.5x higher than Walmart/Food Lion/whatever, the produce is always on its last leg, the meat is always brown, and the expiration dates on the pantry stuff are always almost out of date. The cashiers all complain about their jobs and swear that they don't get paid enough. Plus, in this tiny place, you can't do anything after 9pm or before 7am, including get gas or buy a soda. Not sure what the joy of all that is.

Quote:
My aunt's experience is the same, she never made very much until she moved up to being a department manager at Kroger, even now, relative to her experience, she still doesn't make very much even after 20+ years so I'm not sure where people are getting this rhetoric of "back in the day, people were making bank working in grocery stores."
I'm pretty sure unless you're a manager, butcher, something like that, that you aren't making living wages in a grocery store. I'm sure that was probably true in the past as well, although I was born in the 80s and wasn't around "back in the day."

Old 04-26-2015, 09:58 AM

7,542 posts, read 8,088,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no I don't like iphones, ipods, ipads nothing that starts with an i, but if the point you are going to make next is about CEO pay, Apple CEO earns around 15 million, median employee wags is 77,000 for a ratio of 192:1

The ratio of wages between a CEO and an entry level staff member is a pretty irrelevant statistic, just served up to stir the pot.

Its a harder job managing a very large firm like Walmart as opposed to smaller outfits like Target or even tinier regional chains.

Yet, working at any of those places is no harder or easier than working at the other.

The CEO/staff wage ratio just doesn't mean anything, I would expect WMT to have the highest ratio because of its size.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,817,253 times
Quote:
You know what I am talking about, don't play games. I am talking about the people I see in Walmart with carts overflowing with soda, chips, cookies, < CHEAP JUNK. Do all Walmart shoppers do that? Of course not, but what I am saying is that Walmart has done a superb job making people think they need that crap, far better than other retailers. The do it by making sure that their price on Oreos is the best in town even though their apples may be near the highest price, by product placement- put chip displays next to produce dept. I'm not criticizing they are in business to make money and they have learned who their shoppers are and have made a science out of getting them to fill carts with low food value, high profit margin products
What grocery store do you shop at that doesn't sell soda, chips or cookies?

Or is this just a way to take a quick stab at people who eat processed foods? It somehow always leads to that, that's for sure.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
What grocery store do you shop at that doesn't sell soda, chips or cookies?

Or is this just a way to take a quick stab at people who eat processed foods? It somehow always leads to that, that's for sure.
why are you pretending to be stupid, I know you aren't. Read my post again, it said nothing about other stores not selling those things, it said nothing about stabbing people who eat crap and pretend it's food. It was about the genius of product placement and marketing that Walmart exhibits, and it was a way to say that NOT everything is cheaper at Walmart they are just masterful at putting a very cheap product next to one that is not price competitively, or is by it's very nature more expensive (i.e. produce or meat)

Old 04-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The ratio of wages between a CEO and an entry level staff member is a pretty irrelevant statistic, just served up to stir the pot.

Its a harder job managing a very large firm like Walmart as opposed to smaller outfits like Target or even tinier regional chains.

Yet, working at any of those places is no harder or easier than working at the other.

The CEO/staff wage ratio just doesn't mean anything, I would expect WMT to have the highest ratio because of its size.
/groan... if a Walmart apologist doesn't like the numbers they claim the numbers don't matter. Can't you just say I like Walmart and let it go. My sis in law shops at Walmart 90% of the time, she lives in a tiny town in Missouri and Walmart is the only feasible place for her to shop unless she spends an hour driving. I get that, I don't blame her, I don't dislike her for it. But for heaven's sake even she (a conservative I might add) does not try to justify everything Walmart does. She thinks they should pay more, she would like it if they would price their meat as competitively as they do their other products, do those criticisms make her a 'liberal' or a 'Walmart hater'?

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,177,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

There have already been comparisons made here to Apple, every liberal's favorite company. They do almost everything the anti-corporate people hate. The make almost nothing in the US. Everything except software and the Mac workstation is made in China. They stash vast amounts of money outside the US. The run a hedge fun in Nevada to avoid California income taxes. iTunes is run from Brussels so the transactions aren't taxed in the US. They bully their suppliers, and were ruled to have been the instigators of a price fixing scheme for e-books. They hire mostly white and Asian men. But because people like their products, and they are fun and cool, they are a good company.
This is brilliant. 1, because I agree with it and 2, because you wrote it better than I could have.

For all the criticism of Walmart not treating their employees well, I have to ask compared to who? The so-called mom and pop stores they have supposedly run out of business? While many mom and pop places may have been nice quaint places, they simply didn't have the money to give their employees much in benefits at all and I think most gave less sick leave, less vacation and less in health care options than Walmart does.
I see many of the people Walmart hires in my area and not to be unkind, but many of the people they employ here couldn't get much of a job anywhere else. No one would hire them.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
For all the criticism of Walmart not treating their employees well, I have to ask compared to who? The so-called mom and pop stores they have supposedly run out of business?
no dear, not the mom and pop stores, the major grocery stores that they have run out of business

Old 04-26-2015, 10:54 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,798,050 times
Quote:
In 2003 my son was making $19 an hour working for Albertson's grocery in Northern California. Next time I see him I will ask him if he has any old pay stubs so I can 'prove it' to you.

Great, in 2000 I was making $7.50 an hour at Safeway in Northern California. Everyone has an exception to the rule, the reality is most jobs in the grocery business were low paying and that only continues nowadays.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:56 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,798,050 times
Quote:
no dear, not the mom and pop stores, the major grocery stores that they have run out of business

What major grocery stores are these......Kroger, Safeway, Winco, Target, Bashas, Seems like there is more competition that ever in the grocery business. If Walmart is such a problem, why do companies keep opening up new grocery stores out here, is it some sort of suicide pact perhaps......

I'd also like to know how you allocate blame at the feet of one company in Walmart while Kroger has more stores open than ever before. How do you determine that it is specifically Walmart and not any number of big corporate chains or rather a cumulative effect that led to whatever grocery stores you seem to be talking about to close down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events