U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 10:13 AM

1,603 posts, read 887,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Being able to eat IS a social concern. If you can't pay your bills and you can't get a job because the factory you worked at closed because they could not afford to pay a fair wage
I am familiar with market based wages, but I have never heard of a "fair wage".

Please elaborate.

Who determines what is "fair"? How is the level of "fair" determined? Is my "fair" your "fair"?

So on and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 10:15 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,210,551 times
Quote:
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
I'm guessing you think Apple's ok to buy from? Because you can say the same for that company.

3,510 posts, read 2,937,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I like to shop at Target over Wal-Mart because the employees are usually more helpful than Wal-Mart employees. It's less crowded. I feel safer there. I've never seen anyone get into a fist fight inside or outside of Target.

Which is perfectly fine and by all means you have the right to choose as you wish, my comment was only directed towards those who will complain about Walmart not paying their employees enough, about not offering healthcare, about squeezing out smaller businesses, and then still deem it perfectly acceptable to shop at Target to which the exact same complaints can be applied to, even more easily in some cases.

I've just always found it funny how WalMart draws all this negative attention while businesses like Target which are just as low-rent but regarded as "socially-conscious" seem to fly right on by.

Out here a lot of people complain about the wages at Walmart, but rarely do I hear anyone note that the wages at various grocery stores such as Safeway and Fry's are equal to or even less than what Walmart pays their employees. It seems those particular businesses get a pass because they are unionized so paying employees low wages is less of an issue somehow. That the lives of these employees are enriched through having to pay union dues which I did back as a 17 year old bagger working at Safeway, earning pretty decent pay for the time. Now its 15 years later and Safeway is still paying their baggers the same amount per hour that I earned back in 2000.

474 posts, read 766,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
I've always wondered why Target seemingly gets a pass and Walmart is regarded as the Great Satan. They're pretty much the same thing, Target is just WalMart for snobby people.
I worked at both Target and Wal-Mart in my high school and college years, and Target was so much better as an employee. I worked at Target for 3 years, Wal-Mart I put in two months before getting out, but when it comes to shopping I'll usually go to Wal-Mart, at least for groceries. Shopping at Wal-Mart helps my budget stretch and the food is just as good as anywhere else.

Now, I do very little non-grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. I decided to get a pair of tennis shoes there to since they were only $10, but they were destroyed after about two months, and t-shirts from WM tend to get holes in them a lot quicker.

Ultimately, I will shop where ever I can get the best value. Sometimes I'll pay a little more for way better service or a product that lasts longer, but groceries? It's the same products and I can be in and out quickly and cheaply without ever having to interact with an employee, so I have no problems shopping at Wal-Mart.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:17 AM

9,523 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Quote:
Which is perfectly fine and by all means you have the right to choose as you wish, my comment was only directed towards those who will complain about Walmart not paying their employees enough, about not offering healthcare, about squeezing out smaller businesses, and then still deem it perfectly acceptable to shop at Target to which the exact same complaints can be applied to, even more easily in some cases.

I've just always found it funny how WalMart draws all this negative attention while businesses like Target which are just as low-rent but regarded as "socially-conscious" seem to fly right on by.

Out here a lot of people complain about the wages at Walmart, but rarely do I hear anyone note that the wages at various grocery stores such as Safeway and Fry's are equal to or even less than what Walmart pays their employees. It seems those particular businesses get a pass because they are unionized so paying employees low wages is less of an issue somehow.
The whole wage complaint thing is ridiculous. How much does a grocery bagger or a stocker expect to get paid, and why? Because it takes so much skill, knowledge, strength, etc. to perform those tasks?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:20 AM

12,667 posts, read 9,909,380 times
Quote:
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist.
ALL (or most) large (chain) retail outlets do these things, not just Wal-Mart.

Quote:
Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?
It's not clear that this is a main cause of economic ruin. As I said, the other retail outlets are doing it too.

Quote:

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
How are you on City-Data? You have a computer right? It's assembled from parts some of which had some steps of manufacturing in China.

Even American-made goods have Chinese parts embedded.

Welcome to the global economy.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 AM

950 posts, read 710,786 times
As long as Walmart employs legal workers, I have no problem.

Posters like to glamorize the smaller stores yet many employees at Walmart filled out applications in order to get jobs that were better than what they had at smaller stores.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,937,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
The whole wage complaint thing is ridiculous. How much does a grocery bagger or a stocker expect to get paid, and why? Because it takes so much skill, knowledge, strength, etc. to perform those tasks?

Better paid employers are often happier, harder working employees. I've always said that the difference between the service you get at Wendy's and the service you get at In N Out is roughly about $2 an hour. If you're paying someone a bare minimum wage, they really don't have anything to lose, why would they put forth any real effort, what are you going to do, fire them and send them off to their next minimum wage job. You get what you pay for certainly rings quite true.

If I earned $7.50 an hour back in 2000 when gas was like $1.10 a gallon, when a gallon of milk was about $1.50, when a carton of eggs was less than $1, there's absolutely no reason for someone doing the same job in 2015 to be earning the same or even less than I did considering inflation and how much more expensive everything has gotten in the meantime. The CEO's pay essentially tripled in that time, while the pay of employees remained flat or even declined other than for those fortunate enough to have been on an old contract.

I do understand the argument by those arguing that higher wages are needed and I can certainly see the legitimacy of some of the complaints that are being made.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 AM

9,523 posts, read 6,513,970 times
Quote:
Better paid employers are often happier, harder working employees. I've always said that the difference between the service you get at Wendy's and the service you get at In N Out is roughly about $2 an hour. If you're paying someone a bare minimum wage, they really don't have anything to lose, why would they put forth any real effort, what are you going to do, fire them and send them off to their next minimum wage job. You get what you pay for certainly rings quite true.

If I earned $7.50 an hour back in 2000 when gas was like $1.10 a gallon, when a gallon of milk was about $1.50, when a carton of eggs was less than $1, there's absolutely no reason for someone doing the same job in 2015 to be earning the same or even less than I did considering inflation and how much more expensive everything has gotten in the meantime. The CEO's pay essentially tripled in that time, while the pay of employees remained flat or even declined other than for those fortunate enough to have been on an old contract.

I do understand the argument by those arguing that higher wages are needed and I can certainly see the legitimacy of some of the complaints that are being made.
Right. However, these same people complaining seem to forget that those of us earning higher salaries ALSO would like to get an increase, percentage-wise, in our wage.

If the average engineering job was $70k in 2000, when gas was $1.50, why is it still the same in 2015?

If a CNC Programmer or an LPN earns $15/hour, why should unskilled laborers feel the need to earn the same?
A cry for an increase in pay should not only benefit the bottom.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:37 AM

24,619 posts, read 6,123,042 times
Why? When I visit America, I buy cheap Wrangler jeans at Wal-Mart...... with elasticated waistbands. Fit like a glove!! Plus they have turkey fryers.......... sure wish I could take one home to England. I wouldn't use it, just put it on display as a talking point. Folk's would say, "what's that?" I'd say, "oh, that's my turkey fryer"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events