U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,081,656 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Status: "happy again, no longer catless! t...." (set 4 days ago)

14,421 posts, read 16,677,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Amazon does not charge nor pay sales tax for states in which they do not have a physical presence. That's why you still have to pay taxes on your TV purchase directly to the state.
Only if the state your ordering from has extended sales tax to online sales. They do not collect from Oklahoma. Walmart does. Given the two options I buy from Amazon (there being other reasons as well). I remember when California started collecting taxes. It was from pressure from the brick and mortor stores.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:05 PM

8,376 posts, read 7,362,552 times
Quote:
You used to be able to work in retail and support a family on it, often having only one parent work while the other stayed home with the kids. Think about that. Think hard. Why did it change and when?
lI don't know where you got that. I am someone that worked in retail in the 50s, which is a few years (60 to be exact), so know what I am talking about. Cashiers and nearly all workers got 50 cents an hour, or $20 a week income. Today, they get about 15 times that amount. Neither was decent pay. I was lucky as I worked in Big Ticket Retail selling furniture and major appliances so I was on Commission. The average person in retail got $20 a week, while I and other commission people I worked with averaged $200 plus per week. Of course that is the big ticket stores, that were at the top of the income potential. Small mom and pop furniture stores never paid that kind of money. That is exactly why I never worked for salary after getting out of the Navy in 1954. I always chose commission, percentage of business done when a sales manager, store manager, or business owner, and was good enough I could chose which store I worked for back then when I was in retail so I could make top money.

Yes people like me could earn a living for a family in retail including way back in the stone age as the young people today think it was, but the majority of the people made minimum wage and it was not a real living wage.

Fact: Those small mom and pop stores, were the worst paying retail jobs there were, as they did not make enough money to pay decent paying minimum wages, and still make a living for the owners.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:43 PM

5,242 posts, read 3,393,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
lI don't know where you got that. I am someone that worked in retail in the 50s, which is a few years (60 to be exact), so know what I am talking about. Cashiers and nearly all workers got 50 cents an hour, or $20 a week income. Today, they get about 15 times that amount. Neither was decent pay. I was lucky as I worked in Big Ticket Retail selling furniture and major appliances so I was on Commission. The average person in retail got $20 a week, while I and other commission people I worked with averaged $200 plus per week. Of course that is the big ticket stores, that were at the top of the income potential. Small mom and pop furniture stores never paid that kind of money. That is exactly why I never worked for salary after getting out of the Navy in 1954. I always chose commission, percentage of business done when a sales manager, store manager, or business owner, and was good enough I could chose which store I worked for back then when I was in retail so I could make top money.

Yes people like me could earn a living for a family in retail including way back in the stone age as the young people today think it was, but the majority of the people made minimum wage and it was not a real living wage.

Fact: Those small mom and pop stores, were the worst paying retail jobs there were, as they did not make enough money to pay decent paying minimum wages, and still make a living for the owners.
Okay, minimum wage was 0.75 in 1950, then they raised it to 1.00 in 1956, so if a store you worked at was paying 0.50, they were breaking the law. Incidentally even that $1.00 minimum had higher purchasing power in 1956 then $7.25 has now.

When you adjust for purchasing power, the minimum wage from 1956 to 1984 was greater than it has been 1985-present, with the exception of 2009 and 2010 when the $7.25 wage first kicked in - and then only barely more purchasing power than today, a few cents worth. Here's a chart on it: http://www.dol.gov/minwage/chart1.htm

This is why I got along better with my grandparents than my parents when discussing economic issues. My grandparents experienced the Great Depression and had a lot more empathy with what the economic situation is for us now. People that came of age in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s don't realize they were living in a kind of golden age.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:51 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,078,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Okay, minimum wage was 0.75 in 1950, then they raised it to 1.00 in 1956, so if a store you worked at was paying 0.50, they were breaking the law.
Not necessarily, as not every job was covered by the federal minimum wage especially back in the day.

Since the 50's, there has been a real expansion in the definition of "interstate commerce", the federal minimum wage is supposed to only cover employment by firms engaged in that kind of economic behavior.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
My store ranked slightly above average for our region according to the store manager.

They must make no profit like a fox because the Waltons are some of the richest people in the world.
No one said they make no profit. They just don't make much profit.

You do realize that the Walton's money is tied up in equity right? They aren't making huge dividends on that equity. It seems like you aren't too familiar with finance or money...

Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Only if the state your ordering from has extended sales tax to online sales. They do not collect from Oklahoma. Walmart does. Given the two options I buy from Amazon (there being other reasons as well). I remember when California started collecting taxes. It was from pressure from the brick and mortor stores.
You're right. Only five states do not have sales and use tax for online sales:

Alaska
Montana
Delaware
New Hampshire
Delaware

However, the rest do. This includes Oklahoma. While Amazon doesn't collect tax on online purchases made by residents in Oklahoma, these residents still have to pay taxes on their purchases. So if you live in Oklahoma and purchased a TV on Amazon, you owe taxes on that purchases.

Here is the form that you are required to use in order to pay the taxes you owe: http://www.tax.ok.gov/btforms/SCU20004.pdf

By failing to pay these taxes, you are criminally evading taxes.

I never understood why foreigners don't learn our laws.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,765,469 times
Quote:
No one said they make no profit. They just don't make much profit.

You do realize that the Walton's money is tied up in equity right? They aren't making huge dividends on that equity. It seems like you aren't too familiar with finance or money...
They're doing fine. And good for them. Their father discovered a way that ordinary Americans could get access to cheap imported goods and live on the modest wages they were able to earn in small towns and rural areas. Without the Waltons, we'd have a lot more poverty.

I realize the current Waltons did not create Walmart, but in the United States you are allowed to bequeath your money to whomever you want, after giving 55% (my info may not be up to date, but it's close) to the government.

Old 05-02-2015, 07:00 PM

4,429 posts, read 3,103,104 times
Quote:
You're right. Only five states do not have sales and use tax for online sales:

Alaska
Montana
Delaware
New Hampshire
Delaware

However, the rest do. This includes Oklahoma. While Amazon doesn't collect tax on online purchases made by residents in Oklahoma, these residents still have to pay taxes on their purchases. So if you live in Oklahoma and purchased a TV on Amazon, you owe taxes on that purchases.

Here is the form that you are required to use in order to pay the taxes you owe: http://www.tax.ok.gov/btforms/SCU20004.pdf

By failing to pay these taxes, you are criminally evading taxes.

I never understood why foreigners don't learn our laws.
Take a survey anywhere in America (grocery store, parking lot, etc). Ask them if they have purchased items online in the past and follow up if they know about the use tax. I bet 95% will give you a blank stare. Not saying it's right but just how it is.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,608,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Take a survey anywhere in America (grocery store, parking lot, etc). Ask them if they have purchased items online in the past and follow up if they know about the use tax. I bet 95% will give you a blank stare. Not saying it's right but just how it is.
I hear IRS only has the resources to go after large corporations. That's why individuals won't pay the $50 owed on their new iPad or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
Here is the problem with raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour.............all workers now making $15 an hour will want their pay raise to be about $6 more than Walmart workers.

It will be a chain reaction and major inflation ( similar to Jimmy Carter's days) will sweep the nation.
Again, we're damned if we do, and we're damned if we don't. In life there are always going to be those on the bottom rung that won't make the cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events