U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:49 AM
J24
 
Location: Portland, OR
448 posts, read 654,165 times
Reputation: 892

Advertisements

I don't think Walmart pays any of their employees minimum wage, at least the federal minimum wage. In states where they go along with the feds, at $7.25/hr, you will be making more at Walmart than you would be at most fast food restaurants where you would be only making $7.25/hr.

While Walmart might not be paying their unskilled employees $15/hr, they're paying them more than they had before they got that job. I don't think a shelf stocker or bagger should be getting paid $15/hr. It is a job that requires no skill that anyone could do. Same goes for flipping burgers.

If you want to be paid more, go learn a skill and get a better job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 AM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo
5,243 posts, read 4,044,580 times
Reputation: 6706
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Why? When I visit America, I buy cheap Wrangler jeans at Wal-Mart...... with elasticated waistbands. Fit like a glove!! Plus they have turkey fryers.......... sure wish I could take one home to England. I wouldn't use it, just put it on display as a talking point. Folk's would say, "what's that?" I'd say, "oh, that's my turkey fryer"....
Did you hear about the man with 3 penises ?
His pants fit like a glove.
(An old Steve Martin joke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 AM
 
3,174 posts, read 1,629,375 times
Reputation: 15313
People just love to jump on the "I Hate Walmart" bandwagon. Not me. Walmart isn't much different from any other business. I love Walmart's prices and convenience. Nobody else has opened a department store near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM
 
16,484 posts, read 17,501,756 times
Reputation: 23526
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
This company forced many manufacturers in America into lowering their prices catastrophically, .
At what point were these companies forced to do business supplier contract with Walmart? Walmart walks in says we need to have price point x. The company can say ok or no way take a hike


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't shop at Wal-Mart (except for the few instances when I need to shop at midnight...
.
Really? How can you say I don't shop at Walmart except for a few instances? You either shop Walmart or you don't.

Personally I shop at whoever has the best price for a item. I don't care if it's Walmart, Costco, Target, etc. You're dealing with a corporation in either case. They all look for best price, lowest cost and highest return. The item is the same item. The only difference is price and the perception that one is somehow better than the other
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Talmadge, San Diego, CA
12,966 posts, read 24,000,274 times
Reputation: 7682
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Get a grip people - Walmart is no different than many of the big companies that have automated, outsourced and cut people benefits and pay. If you don't like them - don't shop there. The bottom line for any company is the almighty buck - gone are the days when companies had ethics and loyalty to their workers.

I shop there for some items because they are $1 - $4 cheaper than other places - when their prices rise - I'll go where ever the next cheapest price is. I love Aldi's and the $ store because I can stretch my food $$.
I agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Round Rock, Texas
10,061 posts, read 9,305,978 times
Reputation: 13128
Why do we shop there? Because the prices can't be beat and it's convenience. Why in the world should I pay more for an item than I have to? I want to go shopping for groceries, buy a TV, and a garden rake all in one trip. I'm totally spoiled by Walmart and Target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,793,491 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Why do we shop there? Because the prices can't be beat and it's convenience. Why in the world should I pay more for an item than I have to? I want to go shopping for groceries, buy a TV, and a garden rake all in one trip. I'm totally spoiled by Walmart and Target.

LOL, that's strangely specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:23 AM
 
23,903 posts, read 31,123,865 times
Reputation: 28539
I shop there because I can do all of my shopping (lawn stuff, cleaning, kitchen stuff, groceries, personal care, vitamins...everything) in one fell swoop, and at generally the lowest price.

Kind of a no-brainer to me. I don't go there at high volume times though as I don't have the patience for the long lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Seminole County, FL
7,741 posts, read 5,322,246 times
Reputation: 9362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post


Really? How can you say I don't shop at Walmart except for a few instances? You either shop Walmart or you don't.
Oh come on, now. You get what I was saying.
In case you didn't, or just because you like to nitpick:

My sentence made perfect sense.
I don't shop at Wal-Mart. I don't like it. There have been a few instances when I had to buy an item or two from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,221,655 times
Reputation: 2742
I don't like it either, but rather than drive 32 miles to the next town that has stores other than wally world.
I do buy stuff there......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top