Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2015, 03:49 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,658,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
L I don't give a damn about the rest of the world or it's authoritarian problems.
In a nutshell, here is why this evil festers . . . No one cares. As a realtor, Im sure you also benefit from the way they buy zoning changes and the "20 mile" plans they have in place for certain areas. But, if its good for you, it's ok. all about you
It is sad when you care about people or your extended community, and take a stand, you are looked at as a pariah. More hilarious, a lot of walmart shoppers will claim to be "patriots" and "Christians". lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 04:03 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
maybe that sounds ridiculous to you, but not to me...the only fast food burger I eat is at in-n-out, I like it but the main reason I eat there rather than McDonalds or Burger King is because their starting wage is $10.50 an hour and I want to support a company that is willing to do that.
I miss In n Out. I love their burgers. Them over McDees, hands down In n Out. And they were cheaper than the larger and nicer of McDees burgers.

I sure wish they'd come to OK... sigh.

But the reason I'd rather get my burger there is its a lot better burger, not the pay scale they use. I would not buy my dinner from a place that paid the staff more unless I liked their food enough to pay the price.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:33 AM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
If I needed a toaster or another small appliance, that would be the closest place to get one. Otherwise, I never go there.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:41 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
Seriously. With a ridiculous track record of total corruption, horrible employee treatment, destroying the American manufacturing base by cutting prices to nothing and shipping jobs to China....I really do not understand why these stores still exist. Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town, how can Americans still give their money to one of the main causes of our economic ruin?

Not only that, but how can so-called patriotic Americans give their money to buy products made by a country that is a dictatorship? We had a decades long embargo against Cuba, (supposedly) because of their alignment with Soviet Russia. But China, who mows its people down with impunity, pays its workers pennies an hour and hosts many of the most polluted cities in the world, they get a total pass in the name of economics. And it isn't even economics that benefits US, or the Chinese worker- it only enriches a handful of people. I am sure that WalMart demanding lower prices had more to do with the closing of our own factories than any other single cause.

So how can anyone continue to shop there? What are your reasons?
Because they don't care about any of that stuff. Many of the people who shop there, who are aware of Walmart's business practices, care more about paying less than any of the things you mentioned.

Personally, I haven't shopped there in nearly a decade. I don't shop at Target or Kmart either. I shop local as much I possibly can.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I support my Chinese overlords! But, it's not the same WalMart that Sam and Ms Helen envisioned. I remember the Made in America banners at the entrance.
I remember when WalMart treated their employees very well. Sad what its become.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiesu View Post
Do you realize that Coach bags are now manufactured in China??? And they still charge hundreds of dollars for them. So does Dooney and Burke. It's not just Walmart!!!!!!!
I don't buy ANY of those products. No designer labels, no Apple products, etc. There are still many American companies to buy from.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
I love Wal-Mart! Great store, happy employees, shelves stocked with what I need. I try to always put FOX NEWS on all the TV's in the store just to **** off the libs like the OP!
Why wouldn't a conservative like you not shop local/American? Even if it did cost you more money?

Is it more important to save a buck then support your fellow Americans? Doesn't sound very patriotic to me.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I don't shop at Wal-Mart (except for the few instances when I need to shop at midnight...
But it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart being corrupt, or its "treatment of employees" (which really, I don't find THAT appalling, since NOBODY is forcing one to work there... I worked there for 3 nights some years ago. Didn't like it, and quit.) rather it's simply because I don't like the store itself.
Same with Winn-Dixie. I just don't care for it.

To me this is like people who constantly bash McDonald's as if it's the ONLY large corporation that pays crummy wages and has shady business tactics.
WalMart and McDonalds are not the only ones who act in such a disgraceful manner. That's why I avoid large corporations as much as humanly possible.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Nobody shops there anymore. It's too crowded.

Seriously though, they have good prices if you know what you're looking for. Like K.C Masterpiece BBQ sauce $1.50 a bottle when it's $2.29 and up everywhere else.
Meh. Paying an extra .79 to make sure a local business stays in business, the business owner is able to continue his commerce and a community isn't taken over by a faceless big box store is fine with me.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:32 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,884 times
Apart from incredibly rural areas where its the only game in town,

That about says it right there. Don't enjoy "Chinamart" but it is either that or drive 20 miles to get a few items other stores don't carry. Wish we had a Renys in town here. They sell stuff as cheap as, if not cheaper than, WalMart and they are a Maine-based department store. I would even settle for a Target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events