Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:20 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,427,127 times

Advertisements

Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.

Tyrus Byrd, a former city clerk, was officially sworn in as mayor on Tuesday after beating incumbent Randall Ramsey. Ramsey had served as mayor of Parma for 37 years under two terms.

Police, Officials Resign After Small Missouri Town Elects First Black Female Mayor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM

7,138 posts, read 10,976,883 times
Quote:
Some Parma residents say they aren't worried about safety now that the police force has shrunk. "I think it's pretty dirty they all quit without giving her a chance," resident Martha Miller told KFVS. "But I don't think they hurt the town any by quitting, because who needs six police for 740 people."
Now that makes sense. Good bye bloated police department.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:16 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,068,187 times
Does anyone know why these officers and officials quit? They cited "safety concerns" - without context that makes no sense. Did the new mayor criticize them before?

Mick

Old 04-20-2015, 09:28 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,066,022 times
The new mayor will experience all the issues of running her city in the manner she chooses.. including finding qualified people to work in all positions of government...

I would say that all those personnel ..five of six.. quitting is a message to the new administration.. we dont trust you and wont work for you... I just bet that's going to be a peachy place to work... lets see how many of her friends and acquaintances get jobs in that administration

Old 04-20-2015, 09:45 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,147,461 times
I rather suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye, but media has done its hit piece. Actually sending someone from the big city out to a small town and finding out what beef these folks actually have would require going to a small down and actually talking to the people there and what journalist wants to do that?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:41 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,718,752 times
Thumbs down *

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960
Most of the police force and several officials resigned after the small town of Parma, Missouri elected its first African American woman as mayor, reported KFVS.
What a bunch of idiots.... Im sure she will do fine!!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,076,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The new mayor will experience all the issues of running her city in the manner she chooses.. including finding qualified people to work in all positions of government...

I would say that all those personnel ..five of six.. quitting is a message to the new administration.. we dont trust you and wont work for you... I just bet that's going to be a peachy place to work... lets see how many of her friends and acquaintances get jobs in that administration
Good. Hope more with that mindset quit. Go get another job if your so qualified and hate what you do.

Our defense budget is too bloated anyway. They're trying to make EVERYBODY a criminal.

Except the real criminals of course.

Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,743,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I rather suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye, but media has done its hit piece. Actually sending someone from the big city out to a small town and finding out what beef these folks actually have would require going to a small down and actually talking to the people there and what journalist wants to do that?
1) Entire police force resigns.

2) The media reports on this unusual - and, given that it's a police force, highly relevant - development.

3) The usual suspects bleat "Hit piece!" for no apparent reason other than to draw attention away from the police in question.

Very, very predictable response. After all, we wouldn't want any scrutiny at all on this issue, now would be?

Think about it. A mayor of 37 years is defeated. The police all resign. That screams only one thing - the good ol' boy network is no more, and these people might actually be expected to be public servants, so they bail.

And now back to your regularly scheduled bleating about the big bad media...

Old 04-21-2015, 04:51 PM

19,731 posts, read 11,974,262 times
Oh, it is definitely a story. Just might not be what many assume at first blush. I suspect if the new mayor could bring in a forensic accountant she would unearth a great deal of fraud. Remember what happened in Bell, CA.

Curious since the townspeople say they never actually SAW the police officers, if they actually existed? Just a thought. Obviously, the one who remained exists. I read somewhere that they were part time and that many did not live in Parma.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:57 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,939,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Oh, it is definitely a story. Just might not be what many assume at first blush. I suspect if the new mayor could bring in a forensic accountant she would unearth a great deal of fraud. Remember what happened in Bell, CA.

Curious since the townspeople say they never actually SAW the police officers, if they actually existed? Just a thought. Obviously, the one who remained exists. I read somewhere that they were part time and that many did not live in Parma.
This was my first thought. Quit and hightail it out of town before all the corruption is brought to light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events