U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2015, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
30,392 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Reputation: 28930

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Its time for every civilian to attach high tech cameras on their person and in their cars, film and record EVERYTHING. If someone in law enforcement sees you, they should also see your camera. Running.

Smile pretty for the camera.


Yeah...no.

I've never had a run-in with law enforcement. Come to think of it, neither has anyone in our large family or any of our friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
Reputation: 13611
This officer's conduct was unprofessional and unacceptable. If he has a problem with the woman's actions then either arrest her if she is breaking the law or have a dialogue with her in order to get her to behave differently. Reacting aggressively and destroying property is not the way to interact with the public. This is one of the reasons so many people are now distrustful of police officers. Wearing a badge is not a license to act with impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 07:49 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Because police kill people when they are not properly trained
Police kill people when they're properly trained. It isn't one thing or the other and a college education won't make a bit of difference. Hotheads won't stop being hotheads because they went to university for a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Are you serious? Military Academy is four years.
The hell does the Military Academy have to do with MPs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I said "military officers, certainly receive a lot more training then any police officer does."
...are you trying to save face or do you actually think every officer in the military serves in a law enforcement capacity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 08:59 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,199 posts, read 4,775,644 times
Reputation: 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
You're making stuff up. I just Googled "10 foot law" and there is no such thing anywhere. Not most places, not anywhere.
You think that you or any bystander would have legal right, as a citizen, to just walk up to where the biker gang was being held on the lawn in front of that house?

A 'yes' answer to that question would be an ignorant answer.

A 'no' answer to that question would mean that the answerer recognizes that there are laws regarding boundaries set by the police in this or any other situation.

So, which answer do you choose?


As for the comment of mine that you responded to, I did a poor job in phrasing that comment and I do apologize. *Boundary line limits are determined by the focal point and spread outward. The distance of the boundary does depend on the circumstances, and, by the judgement of the person who sets the boundary--in this case the things were contained to a somewhat small area, so the boundary size would be somewhere around 10' (which would probably be the area size set in most places). If the bikers had run, had shot weapons, had set off an explosive device, etc., then the boundary line area would be greater.



*as explained to me when I asked a friend who is an instructor for the police, and, just because I have a friend who is an instructor does not mean that I have blinders on when cops do the wrong thing--just like I don't have blinders on when a bystander acts like a moron.

P.S. his 'opinion' was that the officer probably did have the right to arrest the woman, since she was distracting him while the operation was live, but that he didn't because he was giving her a pass, much like some officers do when they stop a speeder and then let them go (give them a pass) without being ticketed. (edited to add, this is regarding the officers actions, not the marshals)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
7,142 posts, read 8,430,229 times
Reputation: 7702
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You think that you or any bystander would have legal right, as a citizen, to just walk up to where the biker gang was being held on the lawn in front of that house?

A 'yes' answer to that question would be an ignorant answer.

A 'no' answer to that question would mean that the answerer recognizes that there are laws regarding boundaries set by the police in this or any other situation.

So, which answer do you choose?
Yes, you have a legal right as an America citizen to walk up to were a biker gang is being help by the police, as long as it's in a public area. It's not ignorance, it's knowing what your rights are.

The fact that you make up imaginary laws against it, doesn't make it illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,199 posts, read 4,775,644 times
Reputation: 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, you have a legal right as an America citizen to walk up to were a biker gang is being help by the police, as long as it's in a public area. It's not ignorance, it's knowing what your rights are.

The fact that you make up imaginary laws against it, doesn't make it illegal.
Prove it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:19 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
You think that you or any bystander would have legal right, as a citizen, to just walk up to where the biker gang was being held on the lawn in front of that house?
A 'yes' answer to that question would be an ignorant answer.
A 'no' answer to that question would mean that the answerer recognizes that there are laws regarding boundaries set by the police in this or any other situation.
So, which answer do you choose?
It's either a law and exists on the books or it's not. Which do you choose?

Quote:
As for the comment of mine that you responded to, I did a poor job in phrasing that comment and I do apologize. *Boundary line limits are determined by the focal point and spread outward. The distance of the boundary does depend on the circumstances, and, by the judgement of the person who sets the boundary--in this case the things were contained to a somewhat small area, so the boundary size would be somewhere around 10' (which would probably be the area size set in most places). If the bikers had run, had shot weapons, had set off an explosive device, etc., then the boundary line area would be greater.
Proof. Provide it or stop posting.

Quote:
P.S. his 'opinion' was that the officer probably did have the right to arrest the woman, since she was distracting him while the operation was live, but that he didn't because he was giving her a pass, much like some officers do when they stop a speeder and then let them go (give them a pass) without being ticketed. (edited to add, this is regarding the officers actions, not the marshals)
Distracting a cop is not a crime. Stop trying to make up laws to justify a bad cop's behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,199 posts, read 4,775,644 times
Reputation: 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
It's either a law and exists on the books or it's not. Which do you choose?
I would think that my choice was obvious, well, it should be to someone with a brain.



Quote:
Proof. Provide it or stop posting.
lol @ your 'stop posting' order, like you have the right to give anyone such an order, yanno, cause you're a mod and all. bwahaha
I provided my source if that isn't good enough for you then expand your horizons by doing your own search.


Quote:
Distracting a cop is not a crime.
If that's what you want to believe.
Go for it, I dare you.

Quote:
Stop trying to make up laws to justify a bad cop's behavior.
*Yawn* Seems to be the lame 'catch phrase of the day' for folks who hate all cops (you can't even come up with something original on your own, meh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:05 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
Reputation: 5262
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I would think that my choice was obvious, well, it should be to someone with a brain.
lol @ your 'stop posting' order, like you have the right to give anyone such an order, yanno, cause you're a mod and all. bwahaha
I provided my source if that isn't good enough for you then expand your horizons by doing your own search.
If that's what you want to believe.
Go for it, I dare you.
*Yawn* Seems to be the lame 'catch phrase of the day' for folks who hate all cops (you can't even come up with something original on your own, meh)
You're a total forum troll cliche. You make up stupid crap then tell other people to disprove it. You make strawman arguments to distract from your own argument's obvious shortcomings. You try to act as though you're intellectually superior despite already making yourself look like a fool. And you used the ridiculous "Well my uncle..." trope to defend your made up BS. Oh, do you know a training officer?
You lost this argument. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 PM
 
Location: 23.7 million to 162 million miles North of Venus
5,199 posts, read 4,775,644 times
Reputation: 4219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
You're a total forum troll cliche. You make up stupid crap then tell other people to disprove it. You make strawman arguments to distract from your own argument's obvious shortcomings. You try to act as though you're intellectually superior despite already making yourself look like a fool. And you used the ridiculous "Well my uncle..." trope to defend your made up BS. Oh, do you know a training officer?
You lost this argument. Period.
What ever gets you through the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top