U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:31 PM

3,049 posts, read 2,016,914 times

Advertisements

I'm offering a free busted window - to anyone I find leaving their child in a hot car! And I sure won't mind getting arrested, either! When the cops arrive, I'll simply place my hands behind my back and say, "Take me to jail! I'll do my talking in court."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:37 PM

7,873 posts, read 5,443,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm offering a free busted window - to anyone I find leaving their child in a hot car! And I sure won't mind getting arrested, either! When the cops arrive, I'll simply place my hands behind my back and say, "Take me to jail! I'll do my talking in court."
Who said anything about leaving children in hot cars? Has nothing to do with this thread.
A car won't get hot in 1 or 2 minutes with the windows cracked open, or with the a/c running.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM

8,989 posts, read 4,904,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It is becoming increasingly clear as time goes on that the biggest danger in these sorts of "free ranging" situations is not potential kidnappers and criminals, it is the legal consequences of being noticed by busy bodies and tattle tales. It's not logical, but it is reality and as ridiculous as it sounds people need to start taking this in to consideration when making parenting decisions nowadays.
Thank you, John Walsh.

Sure, his TV show probably caught some crooks but IMHO, it turned us into a nation of informers.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:12 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,489,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i had no idea it had gotten this bad. read the whole article for multiple horror stories.

earlier story here:
People are getting to be such weird busybodies these days. When I was a little kid, I used to like to go with my dad while he was doing errands. I remember him leaving me alone in the car while he went into a bar to drink, for a couple of hours. Lots of people walking by the car, and nobody even gave me a second look.

I never knew until now, what delinquent parents I had.

Personally I'm happier to see people leave their kids in the car, then bring their screaming kids into the store with them.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM

3,222 posts, read 2,841,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
I find it ridiculous to think that one should pull the kids out of the car at every instance.
What if they're asleep and you just need to run inside and pay the clerk $20 for the gas pump? What do you do? Unbuckle them, drag them in just for the 30 seconds you'd be out of the car?
I used to do that when my kids were little. A toddler was abducted about two hours away from where we lived. Mom had put the keys in the ignition, turned on the vehicle to get the air conditioning going, and buckled the child in the car seat. Mom put the groceries in the vehicle and returned the cart to the corral. In that time, someone stole the vehicle with the child in it. I believe the child was returned unharmed to the parents within 24 hours.

The situation scared me. If the gas pump didn't spit out a receipt, I got all three of my kids out of their car seats and we went in. It was a hassle, but I did it. It was too hot to leave the car turned off. I certainly wasn't leaving the keys in the ignition or kids in a hot car.

I'm not a helicopter parent. Kids in a car alone is asking for trouble. My kids were smart enough and self motivated enough that they could have unbuckled the car seats and tried to drive if they were so inclined. I didn't need that either.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:44 PM

8,547 posts, read 5,314,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I used to do that when my kids were little. A toddler was abducted about two hours away from where we lived. Mom had put the keys in the ignition, turned on the vehicle to get the air conditioning going, and buckled the child in the car seat. Mom put the groceries in the vehicle and returned the cart to the corral. In that time, someone stole the vehicle with the child in it. I believe the child was returned unharmed to the parents within 24 hours.

The situation scared me. If the gas pump didn't spit out a receipt, I got all three of my kids out of their car seats and we went in. It was a hassle, but I did it. It was too hot to leave the car turned off. I certainly wasn't leaving the keys in the ignition or kids in a hot car.

I'm not a helicopter parent. Kids in a car alone is asking for trouble. My kids were smart enough and self motivated enough that they could have unbuckled the car seats and tried to drive if they were so inclined. I didn't need that either.

I think that your fear was understandable considering the abduction was close to home. I would not leave my kids in the car with the keys in the ignition. I think that's different then what the article suggests or what people mean by leaving kids alone in the car for a few minutes.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:08 PM

5,476 posts, read 4,619,391 times
I'm wondering what caused parents to be so overprotective, when so many of them weren't raised that way. Has the world changed that much that we need to be mindful of every potential accident and catastrophe?

When I was a kid, during summer vacation I'd be gone almost all day. All the kids in the neighborhood would do the same, and around dinnertime you'd hear the fathers whistling and calling for their kids. I doubt my parents knew where I was during the day and they didn't seem to care. There were a few kids in the neighborhood whose mothers would lock them out of the house and only let them in at dinnertime.

My seven and nine year old boys used to get themselves off to school and returned home before I got out of work. The youngest would head out over a friends house to play until I got home. While something bad could have happened, I suppose, it didn't. They were pretty self sufficient kids and they are as adults. Yet my youngest and his wife - who were both very independent as children - now guard over their kids like a kidnapper is lurking around every corner.

I'm just baffled by the change in just one generation. What happened???

Old 04-21-2015, 04:49 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My brother and SIL won't leave my 13-year-old nephew home alone while they run a quick errand. One of them has to be home with him. When I was 13 I was babysitting other people's kids in the neighborhood.

This. My parents used to leave me home alone back when I was a little kid. I babysat my little brother at the age of 10, they'd leave us in the car occasionally and for a very short time if they had to run into the store or at the gas attention. I'm thinking my mom and dad would both have criminal records in this day and age.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM

6,953 posts, read 2,616,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

Situations like that are so rare that it doesn't really make sense to let them dictate your safety protocols. That's called living in fear.

Old 04-21-2015, 05:01 PM

6,953 posts, read 2,616,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'm wondering what caused parents to be so overprotective, when so many of them weren't raised that way. Has the world changed that much that we need to be mindful of every potential accident and catastrophe?

When I was a kid, during summer vacation I'd be gone almost all day. All the kids in the neighborhood would do the same, and around dinnertime you'd hear the fathers whistling and calling for their kids. I doubt my parents knew where I was during the day and they didn't seem to care. There were a few kids in the neighborhood whose mothers would lock them out of the house and only let them in at dinnertime.

My seven and nine year old boys used to get themselves off to school and returned home before I got out of work. The youngest would head out over a friends house to play until I got home. While something bad could have happened, I suppose, it didn't. They were pretty self sufficient kids and they are as adults. Yet my youngest and his wife - who were both very independent as children - now guard over their kids like a kidnapper is lurking around every corner.

I'm just baffled by the change in just one generation. What happened???
24 hour cable news and the internet happened. When you need headlines to fill the entire day instead of just an hour at 6 and 11 you dig deeper to find them, and missing or abused children are good for ratings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or