U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM

23,939 posts, read 17,598,784 times

Advertisements

i had no idea it had gotten this bad. read the whole article for multiple horror stories.

Quote:
At the end of a trip home to see my parents, I let my then-4-year-old son wait by himself in a car while I ran into a store. He needed headphones to watch a video on our flight home. Someone filmed me leaving him, going into the store, coming out, and driving off, and promptly called the police. Ultimately I was charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor a charge most people associate with buying beer for underage teenagers and, with the aid of lawyers I was only able to afford through family generosity, arranged to perform 100 hours of community service and take parenting lessons. In return, the county prosecutor decided not to pursue the matter any further.
“What a horrible mother:” How a call from a “good samaritan” derailed these mothers’ lives - Salon.com
earlier story here:

Quote:
I made a split-second decision to run into the store. I had no idea it would consume the next years of my life
The day I left my son in the car - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,115,133 times
This is like the free ranging post isn't it? Everything these days is child abuse your supposed to coddle your kids & raise them to be wussies.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 AM

6,856 posts, read 2,555,136 times
It is becoming increasingly clear as time goes on that the biggest danger in these sorts of "free ranging" situations is not potential kidnappers and criminals, it is the legal consequences of being noticed by busy bodies and tattle tales. It's not logical, but it is reality and as ridiculous as it sounds people need to start taking this in to consideration when making parenting decisions nowadays.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
It is becoming increasingly clear as time goes on that the biggest danger in these sorts of "free ranging" situations is not potential kidnappers and criminals, it is the legal consequences of being noticed by busy bodies and tattle tales. It's not logical, but it is reality and as ridiculous as it sounds people need to start taking this in to consideration when making parenting decisions nowadays.
exactly.

if it had been like this when I was growing up, my parents would have been in jail on a weekly basis.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:56 AM

21,474 posts, read 22,724,584 times
There was an interesting point in the Salon article about how a parent is putting their child more at risk by driving them around in a car than they are by leaving him locked in the parked car on a cool day for five minutes.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 AM

8,545 posts, read 5,269,960 times
I remember discussing this particular story on the parenting forum here on CD and there were some (not the majority of posters but still a small handful) arguing that it wasn't even ok to leave a child in the car while you returned your grocery cart to the coral at the grocery store or dropped a book in the library book return slot or paid for gas at the gas station, etc. All things that would take a minute or two and all things where the car was in sight. It was eye opening and a little bit frightening to know that there are some who take things to that extreme.

When I was a kid our parents would give us the choice to come into the grocery store with them or wait in the car. We often chose the car. It was common back then (70's, 80's). It's weird to think how much attitudes have changed regarding this in just a few decades.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 AM

7,782 posts, read 5,346,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I remember discussing this particular story on the parenting forum here on CD and there were some (not the majority of posters but still a small handful) arguing that it wasn't even ok to leave a child in the car while you returned your grocery cart to the coral at the grocery store or dropped a book in the library book return slot or paid for gas at the gas station, etc. All things that would take a minute or two and all things where the car was in sight. It was eye opening and a little bit frightening to know that there are some who take things to that extreme.

When I was a kid our parents would give us the choice to come into the grocery store with them or wait in the car. We often chose the car. It was common back then (70's, 80's). It's weird to think how much attitudes have changed regarding this in just a few decades.
This.
I find it ridiculous to think that one should pull the kids out of the car at every instance.
What if they're asleep and you just need to run inside and pay the clerk $20 for the gas pump? What do you do? Unbuckle them, drag them in just for the 30 seconds you'd be out of the car?

Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
This.
I find it ridiculous to think that one should pull the kids out of the car at every instance.
What if they're asleep and you just need to run inside and pay the clerk $20 for the gas pump? What do you do? Unbuckle them, drag them in just for the 30 seconds you'd be out of the car?
yes. or risk possibly going to jail and various expensive legal nightmares.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 AM
J24

448 posts, read 655,739 times
Quote:
I grew up in the 90's and it was common then too. My parents would leave me in the car all the time (obviously not for long periods of time or in hot weather). I also would stay home alone for short periods of time pretty frequently.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:19 AM

12,138 posts, read 8,115,133 times
Quote:

I blame what they call couch parenting. Sit on the couch and act like your involved in your kids life. Yet in the same breath they will call someone else out for letting thier kids play outside alone or letting them sit in thier car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or