U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 07:57 AM

49,077 posts, read 39,540,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I believe civil rights extend to all citizens, no matter the color of their skin.

<three sentences later>

This old, bald, fat white guy just wanted a chance to tase someone.
How can you switch gears so quickly from a fair tone of civil rights and respect for all and then go all racist like that?

Old 04-22-2015, 08:00 AM

38,675 posts, read 15,482,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I hope he does jail time, as he should. Maybe he can hang up pictures of his Bahama vacation in his cell and weep for himself.
I would temper those expectations.. He has been charged with manslaughter - max prison term = 4 years. Given this then.....

I'm gonna say that no 12 person jury is going to send a 73+ year old man to prison for accidentally shooting a convicted felon during the act of preventing him from illegally selling a gun on the street. Either it will be a hung jury or they will find him not guilty. If it is a hung jury, it would be my guess the DA won't try to try it again.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,165,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I would temper those expectations.. He has been charged with manslaughter - max prison term = 4 years. Given this then.....

I'm gonna say that no 12 person jury is going to send a 73+ year old man to prison for accidentally shooting a convicted felon during the act of preventing him from illegally selling a gun on the street. Either it will be a hung jury or they will find him not guilty. If it is a hung jury, it would be my guess the DA won't try to try it again.
Bingo. Max prison time of 4 years, probably with possibility of parole after 2 years, and he'll probably get some credit of a month or two with any time served during the trial process before he was out on bail.

He's a guy who's donated money to the local police department, served the community as a volunteer, and in the end, the person he shot was illegally selling guns and who knows what other crimes he may have committed beforehand.

If he gets any time at all, I bet it's 6 months or less.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:06 AM

49,077 posts, read 39,540,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

That's a somewhat likely scenario which means the DA might go for probation, surrending his guns etc.

All it takes is one person on the jury to think, "well, the guy was selling guns and was part of the illegal gun violence that is a scourge in this country".

People get slaps on the wrist all the time for manslaughter, especially with so many years of no prior incidents and it being an actual accident and not DUI etc. Going to be a tough case to get much of a sentence out of.

Personally, I'm thinking something like 6-12months min. security, probation etc. is what he'll get.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:14 AM

38,675 posts, read 15,482,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's a somewhat likely scenario which means the DA might go for probation, surrending his guns etc.....
If he offers a plea deal. If it actually went to trial as charged, then it's all or nothing.

I suppose a lot will depend upon how the fellow taking the vacation in the Bahamas and his lawyer(s) feel this might go. They might think it is worth it and demand a trial.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,987,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
After the stress of a trial what in the world is wrong with taking a vacation? Is he supposed to shut himself up in his bedroom at home? He was found not guilty. I don't think he was happy it happened. Should he wear sack cloth and ashes for a few weeks or years?
Beautifully said. Being a police officer is VERY stressful, and if he made an egregious mistake, his life is ruined. In fact, even if it's found to be a "justified shooting" his life as he knew it is pretty well over.

And for the record, my husband is in a law-enforcement related field.

I don't know who would want to be a police officer today. It's all stress, life-and-death decisions in the blink of an eye, and non-stop second guessing.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:25 AM

698 posts, read 433,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Shrug, I can see the reasoning behind it. He already had the vacation scheduled, and after this incident, was probably being hounded by the media locally and wanted to escape it.

He looks remorseful and he's apologized to the man's family, it was a horrible mistake, but it was still a mistake. He didn't shoot on purpose. I doubt he "enjoyed" his vacation at all.
Only if you believe his BS story about thinking he was holding a taser. There is no way that you can confuse a stainless steel revolver with a black plastic taser. The revolver would weigh significantly more, the grip is a completely different size and shape and as you are looking down the barrel it would be clear that you are holding a shiny metal gun and not a matte black plastic taser. The guy is lying, plain and simple.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:29 AM

698 posts, read 433,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Which rules are specifically different in this case?
You know that if someone "by mistake" shot and killed a cop they would not be out on bond and if by some miracle they were they would never be allowed to leave the country.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:40 AM

1,593 posts, read 1,743,974 times
I haven't really kept up on offshore banking and the regulatory fallout after 9/11 but I suppose he's also in the Bahamas to be setting his financial house in order before what will possibly be one financially devastating civil lawsuit.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,005,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Beautifully said. Being a police officer is VERY stressful, and if he made an egregious mistake, his life is ruined. In fact, even if it's found to be a "justified shooting" his life as he knew it is pretty well over.

And for the record, my husband is in a law-enforcement related field.

I don't know who would want to be a police officer today. It's all stress, life-and-death decisions in the blink of an eye, and non-stop second guessing.
Tough cookies. His life isn't over, its just going to be a lot more stressful for the next few years... and he has no one to blame but himself.

On the other hand, the suspect that he shot wrongfully... that guy's life really is over. Dead, buried and never to walk the earth again.

If a person can't handle the stress, or the life and death decisions then they shouldn't be in the profession. PERIOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or