U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:15 AM

826 posts, read 659,202 times

Advertisements

Jukesgrrl, very true, and very sad. The answers are right there before our eyes, and we miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:05 AM

1,300 posts, read 780,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Many families eat out because parents are tired. They're tired of shopping; they're tired of prepping; they're tired of the never-ending cleaning; and they're tired of arguing with their children over eating. And no doubt, at this point some superior person will jump in and chastise young parents for not being better disciplinarians. I'm not going there. I've been doing this for longer than some of you have been alive, and I'm sympathetic. Day in day out cooking for a family is often drudgery, but it's more frugal than eating out all the time. I hereby award a cookie to any working parent who manages to do it without occasionally relying on take-out. As for the rest of you, who sometimes succumb to the siren call of Chipotle, I totally get it. You get a cookie, too.
For me I've always enjoyed going to my local supermarket and buying groceries. Never saw it as a chore as I can choose exactly what I want to eat and save money too as I rarely buy anything at regular price. Maybe I'll occasionally 'splurge' and buy a bag of chips that isn't on sale for 99 cents, but otherwise if there's no discount on something I'd like to by, I'll usually just wait for a sale.

Also if you're tired of cooking everyday, then why not make bigger batches that will last several days? I enjoy cooking, but sometimes I'm either too busy or more often too lazy to cook everyday and so when I do cook I always make a big enough batch so that there will be leftovers for several days so that I can come home the next day, take it out, warm it up and eat. Don't have to cook and clean everyday. I do enjoy eating out and could probably afford to do it everyday if I wanted to, but I don't mainly for health reasons and as well it just doesn't make sense to waste so much money to eat out everyday when its so much cheaper and usually healthier to make your own food and eat at home.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:05 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,397,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've been surprised at how much dining out has gone up over the last year or so, especially fast food. I went to Subway yesterday (had to go to Fedex Office and needed a quick lunch) and a foot long oven roasted chicken, chip, and drink was $10 and change. Places like McDonald's, Wendy's, and even White Castle are now getting expensive. It's actually cheaper for me to go to Chipotle, McAllister's, or most local lunch joints than to go to a fast food chain.
Why are you surprised? With burger flippers asking for big pay raises and the price of electricity going through the roof due to the closing of coal mines meaning both the food producer and the seller have to raise their prices, the cost is being passed along to consumers.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:42 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,845,697 times
Would rather cook in than eat out. I/we can control what goes into our food, how much we make and it is cheaper for us. Eating out generally for us is something that is special ie: anniversary, friends visiting (rarely happens). That said our only regular "dine out" is on a Friday night when we purchase a $10.00 pizza from a local pizzeria for take-home. But the posters are correct. Dining-out food IS getting expensive. Some of that is the special taxes assigned to it. But a lot has just gone up in price. I have noticed that.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 AM

17,265 posts, read 14,837,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why are you surprised? With burger flippers asking for big pay raises and the price of electricity going through the roof due to the closing of coal mines meaning both the food producer and the seller have to raise their prices, the cost is being passed along to consumers.
I actually think $10 for a foot-long sandwich, chips and a drink sounds pretty cheap, lol. I wouldn't consider a foot long sub in the same category as a burger, you can still get a burger lunch at a fast food restaurant very cheaply.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:03 AM

309 posts, read 195,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I still cook for my children, but the tedium of chopping, cooking, and cleanup also killed any potential enjoyment of cooking that I might have had if I weren't the oldest in a family of 9 growing up and my mother's #1 helper in the kitchen (and everywhere else, too). We never, ever ate out. No fast food ever, either. My father would never have considered it.
If you have children, then why not get one to chop and another to clean up, as soon as they are of reasonable age that is?

Old 04-23-2015, 05:12 AM

6,171 posts, read 4,956,679 times
I live in a rented room with no cooking facilities other than a travel microwave and a mini fridge. Anyway my metabolism is pretty fast and I can end up eating an entire home cooked meal in one sitting and not have anything left over for the next day or so. Eating out basically costs the same as making a single meal in my experience. I rarely go out to sit-down restaurants. It's generally a few slices of pizza or a sub with soup or fries from a local Italian take-out.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 AM

10,053 posts, read 7,007,155 times
No wonder it's usually Americans who get food poisoning. They eat out way too much.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 AM

15,640 posts, read 8,764,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
For me I've always enjoyed going to my local supermarket and buying groceries. Never saw it as a chore as I can choose exactly what I want to eat and save money too as I rarely buy anything at regular price. Maybe I'll occasionally 'splurge' and buy a bag of chips that isn't on sale for 99 cents, but otherwise if there's no discount on something I'd like to by, I'll usually just wait for a sale.

Also if you're tired of cooking everyday, then why not make bigger batches that will last several days? I enjoy cooking, but sometimes I'm either too busy or more often too lazy to cook everyday and so when I do cook I always make a big enough batch so that there will be leftovers for several days so that I can come home the next day, take it out, warm it up and eat. Don't have to cook and clean everyday. I do enjoy eating out and could probably afford to do it everyday if I wanted to, but I don't mainly for health reasons and as well it just doesn't make sense to waste so much money to eat out everyday when its so much cheaper and usually healthier to make your own food and eat at home.
Let me guess: you're single? I have three teenage children, all of whom are competitive swimmers. Just last night, my youngest ate an entire 2# bag of grapes in one sitting. Then, he ate two huge servings of the three-bean casserole I made for dinner and complained that he was still hungry twenty minutes later. My kids can pretty much demolish a refrigerator's worth of food in two days. What are these leftovers you speak of?

Anyway, this is not personal, and I don't need your advice. I've been cooking for a family for twenty-five years, and I can make my way around a grocery store and kitchen just fine, thank you very much. I was simply expressing sympathy for people who find cooking to be a chore and are tempted by the ease of restaurant meals, expensive as they are. I'm glad you enjoy cooking. Many don't find it as pleasurable as you do, especially busy working parents who are sometimes overwhelmed with the never-ending demands of job, home, marriage, and children. As such, I completely understand the appeal of Subway.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-23-2015 at 07:35 AM..

Old 04-23-2015, 08:15 AM

38,193 posts, read 15,329,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
Lol. The thing is, I can't imagine anyone who eat it without any meat. Pasta and plain sauce is just not a full meal for me that is. I need meat! Even the Italians have spaghetti with meatballs! Lol

As for cherry picking. Let's talk about pot roast. We did this the other day as well.

Chuck roast $9.00
Mushroom $3.00
Potatoes(only 2) $2.20
Carrots $2.50
Onions $1.00
That's almost $18

I agree about the tip and what not but we only drink water when we go out. If I add dessert, then I have to add desert for the home meal too.
You can get a 3lb bag of potatoes for $3.00. Likewise $2.50 worth of carrot should be at least 2lbs of carrots. That pot roast dinner should make enough for several meals for two people. Likewise on the spaghetti dinner posted earlier. A box of noodles is 1 lb. That should make numerous meals for two people.

You will have plenty of left over ingredients that can be used to cook other meals where you don't have to buy everything from scratch. This is where the real savings comes from.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 04-23-2015 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events