U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:42 AM

15,796 posts, read 8,809,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I know many families with both spouses working, including myself, who cooked dinner every night.
I do, too, but I also understand why busy suburban families eat in restaurants frequently. It's hard work to cook at home day after day, especially for a person who also holds down a full-time job, and I think anybody who does it would admit as much. It's also the reason for the popularity of convenience foods. Cooking from scratch, which is the most frugal way to prepare meals, is exhausting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 AM

4,445 posts, read 5,183,049 times
Well said LINative, and we get little in return for it, except more taxes and higher cost for health care.

We prefer to eat at home as we know, my kitchen is clean, our hands are washed as knowing well what is the food.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:45 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,462,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've been surprised at how much dining out has gone up over the last year or so, especially fast food. I went to Subway yesterday (had to go to Fedex Office and needed a quick lunch) and a foot long oven roasted chicken, chip, and drink was $10 and change. Places like McDonald's, Wendy's, and even White Castle are now getting expensive. It's actually cheaper for me to go to Chipotle, McAllister's, or most local lunch joints than to go to a fast food chain.
I agree. It seems like a lot of people are eating out these days. Restaurants here in NE Ohio are always packed. (five guys, chipolte etc)

Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM

15,425 posts, read 8,076,227 times
At least we put our money where our mouth is

When you add up the cost for the food and especially the drinks, add tax, then a 15-20% tip, all of a sudden you're at $150 +. I'm working in Peru and we can go to 4-5 star restaurants here and not worry about the cost as it's usually about 1/3 of the cost in the USA. Just returned from Spain and restaurants there are about half of the USA cost.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:26 AM

8,562 posts, read 6,687,216 times
Even as a single homeowner who does all the chores myself including yard work and stuff, and has a full time job, I still manage to cook. I think maybe too many people never learned to cook is the problem. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to do all the prep work. Then stick it in the oven or spend another 15 minutes sauteeing. Most meals can be done in less than half an hour of actual work, with enough leftovers to have the next night.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Even as a single homeowner who does all the chores myself including yard work and stuff, and has a full time job, I still manage to cook. I think maybe too many people never learned to cook is the problem. It only takes 10 or 15 minutes to do all the prep work. Then stick it in the oven or spend another 15 minutes sauteeing. Most meals can be done in less than half an hour of actual work, with enough leftovers to have the next night.
Every year, I take a week-long sabbatical to a hermitage where I prepare meals for myself from scratch every day. You're right; it takes little time. Shopping, prepping, cooking and cleaning for a family day after day is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm not saying it's impossible. I've done it for many years, but let's be real here: it's a lot of work.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:05 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,499,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Every year, I take a week-long sabbatical to a hermitage where I prepare meals for myself from scratch every day. You're right; it takes little time. Shopping, prepping, cooking and cleaning for a family day after day is a whole other kettle of fish. I'm not saying it's impossible. I've done it for many years, but let's be real here: it's a lot of work.
Makes me wonder how our mothers did it, and without a microwave and other easy kitchen gadgets. Mine worked my whole childhood, and we only ate out once every week or two and that was on a weekend! I wish I'd appreciated all she did more, rather than gripe at having pot roast leftovers again. I didn't even come close to her standards while raising my kids, we had a lot of pizza.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:06 AM

8,562 posts, read 6,687,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Well maybe I cook differently, but it really isn't that much work. The trip to the grocery store takes an hour a week. I even do my own dishes but most have a dishwasher. Loading that and wiping down the kitchen doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

If I were exhausted and really strapped for time during the week, it's easy to make a pot of soup/stew/chili on the weekend and freeze it. Use frozen vegetables in it that require no prep and you still come out way ahead on costs. I see you can even buy a bag of frozen diced onions now for people who don't have 2 minutes to do that. I also sautee/grill up extra chicken breasts and freeze them. Defrost in the microwave and add some bread and a bag of salad. Or it just takes a few minutes to make tuna salad. Scrambled eggs and toast and ham takes 5 minutes, is a delicious change-up for dinner, and is a super easy clean-up.

Invest in a crockpot and a pressure cooker and learn how to use them. Seriously, there are so many options for fast delicious meals at home if you use the tools available.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 AM

23,625 posts, read 31,227,884 times
Don't people know how to cook anymore?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Makes me wonder how our mothers did it, and without a microwave and other easy kitchen gadgets. Mine worked my whole childhood, and we only ate out once every week or two and that was on a weekend! I wish I'd appreciated all she did more, rather than gripe at having pot roast leftovers again. I didn't even come close to her standards while raising my kids, we had a lot of pizza.
My mother, too. We ate a lot of crockpot meals. I like to cook, but I am sympathetic to those who eat out frequently. Our go-to meal for nights when nobody wants to spend time in the kitchen is quesadillas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events