U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,807,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Well maybe I cook differently, but it really isn't that much work. The trip to the grocery store takes an hour a week. I even do my own dishes but most have a dishwasher. Loading that and wiping down the kitchen doesn't take more than 10 minutes.

If I were exhausted and really strapped for time during the week, it's easy to make a pot of soup/stew/chili on the weekend and freeze it. Use frozen vegetables in it that require no prep and you still come out way ahead on costs. I see you can even buy a bag of frozen diced onions now for people who don't have 2 minutes to do that. I also sautee/grill up extra chicken breasts and freeze them. Defrost in the microwave and add some bread and a bag of salad. Or it just takes a few minutes to make tuna salad. Scrambled eggs and toast and ham takes 5 minutes, is a delicious change-up for dinner, and is a super easy clean-up.

Invest in a crockpot and a pressure cooker and learn how to use them. Seriously, there are so many options for fast delicious meals at home if you use the tools available.
Lilly, I don't need you to tell me how to cook. I'm nearly fifty-years-old, and I've been doing this for 25+ years. I can handle myself in a kitchen without your condescension. My point is only that I'm sympathetic to working families who eat out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 AM

33,836 posts, read 41,921,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I know many families with both spouses working, including myself, who cooked dinner every night.
Yep. I always got home before Mrs. NBP so I did the vast majority of the cooking, even now when all but 1 1/2 of the kids are gone (oldest son still eats here most nights).

We rarely went out when the kids were growing up, a treat was McDonald's for the kids maybe once a month unless we were traveling, which really was only at Christmas and maybe a few days in the summer.

I may order pizza in or we'll get Chinese maybe once a month now.

All of the above, and I'm not going to look for it, is a lead in to the report last month that people now spend more on restaurants than they do on groceries with families eating out 5 times a week.

And I know a couple of you have some sort of anti-overweight mission going on but the story had absolutely nothing to do with obesity or portion size.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

9,144 posts, read 7,175,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Lilly, I don't need you to tell me how to cook. I'm nearly fifty-years-old, and I've been doing this for 25+ years. I can handle myself in a kitchen without your condescension. My point is only that I'm sympathetic to working families who eat out.
Sorry I wasn't telling YOU to learn how to use the tools (if that's what was condescending) -- that was directed towards the people who eat out and complain they're broke. I should have used the pronoun "they."

Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 AM

13,675 posts, read 13,502,093 times
This is pretty much why I have financial problems (and weight problems). I used my tax rebate to buy a vaccum sealer and a chest freezer and spent the last 3 days cooking enough food to last me for the week.

My problem is that I work fairly long hours from home, so I really do love getting out of the house to drive around and grab a quick meal. But I also enjoy cooking, so I also spend a lot on groceries. In general, food is my biggest expense.

We'll see how it goes.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:32 AM

44,406 posts, read 17,735,465 times
A crock pot, pressure cooker and a wok, along with some planning, can eliminate the need to eat out as much even in a busy household.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:37 AM

27,148 posts, read 15,690,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I think the "study" about broke Americans missed a little something called TAXES.

Pardon the pun but taxes takes a much bigger bite then restaurants.
On lower middle class and working poor Americans they only pay about $5,000 on federal taxes and no more than 10% of tax on top of purchases, that's not too much of a chunk compared to eating out more often because they can't or don't want to cook meals at home or bring a bag lunch to work.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,807,631 times
Many families eat out because parents are tired. They're tired of shopping; they're tired of prepping; they're tired of the never-ending cleaning; and they're tired of arguing with their children over eating. And no doubt, at this point some superior person will jump in and chastise young parents for not being better disciplinarians. I'm not going there. I've been doing this for longer than some of you have been alive, and I'm sympathetic. Day in day out cooking for a family is often drudgery, but it's more frugal than eating out all the time. I hereby award a cookie to any working parent who manages to do it without occasionally relying on take-out. As for the rest of you, who sometimes succumb to the siren call of Chipotle, I totally get it. You get a cookie, too.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:50 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,957,114 times
Could be true. We don't eat at restaurants and we are debt-free. I am guessing though there are two issues: (1) We don't eat at restaurants because the food is, more likely than not, unhealthy and I can make something better at home for 1/2 the price. (2) it takes a lot more than avoiding spending money at restaurants to not to be broke - combination of commonsense, having enough money to support a basis lifestyle and developing and maintaining a budget.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,332,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Many families eat out because parents are tired. They're tired of shopping; they're tired of prepping; they're tired of the never-ending cleaning; and they're tired of arguing with their children over eating. And no doubt, at this point some superior person will jump in and chastise young parents for not being better disciplinarians. I'm not going there. I've been doing this for longer than some of you have been alive, and I'm sympathetic. Day in day out cooking for a family is often drudgery, but it's more frugal than eating out all the time. I hereby award a cookie to any working parent who manages to do it without occasionally relying on take-out. As for the rest of you, who sometimes succumb to the siren call of Chipotle, I totally get it. You get a cookie, too.
You've already mentioned that you don't work so you are a full time stay at home.

When you do work full time you learn to make the best use of your free time.
I shop every 2 weeks and prepare more than enough for dinner so that we can have a "national leftover night" once a week.

I don't make fancy dishes except on the weekends and I don't cook meat every night.
Eating out once every 2-3 weeks is a treat.

And I did that for over 30 years while working full time.

Most of the young ones eat out a lot because they don't know how to cook.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:55 AM

20,318 posts, read 16,490,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I love all these "studies". I bet you could find a study that "American's spend too much money on toe nail clippers."
It is true, though. Not just restaurants, what we value has changed, and it has contributed to many Americans financial problems. My grandparents would never in a million years have paid $150 a month for cable TV, they would never have bought a $3000 TV, or a $400 video game system, even though they had the money...going out to eat was seen as a luxury. No one got a new car for their 17th birthday unless their parents were filthy rich. We have never in history been this much of a consumerist society as we are today, and yes, the amount we go out to eat as a society is part of being a consumerist society. There are many reasons for it, including 2 income households, and also the incredible proliferation of easy credit over the last few decades.

IMO though there is no denying that attitudes about spending money have changed significantly. I'm not above it, my grandparents would have been appalled if they saw what I spend money on, including phone and cable, clothes. etc. I have savings, I have an emergency fund, but not even close to what I'll need if I ever want to retire...and I know living as a modern consumer is the biggest reason why. If I had the same attitude about money as my grandparents, I'd be a millionaire by now.

Again, I'm not saying they were "better" than us or anything like that..but attitudes were certainly different, and for many Americans, the change has been to our detriment in general. I do think the increase in going out to eat is relevant as a reflection of that change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events