U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:28 PM

1,112 posts, read 808,267 times

Advertisements

I am glad to say that we eat out minimally. Not to mention I hate the crap service and sometimes bad food where I get sick.

When I prepapre meals at home, I cook exactly how we like. We save a bunch of money to boot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 02:29 PM

5,847 posts, read 3,122,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
Why not scrap the after-school activities and make their after-school activity teaching the kids how to cook, at least when they are at an age they can be trusted around an oven? They will be only grateful afterwards.
Because Harvard, Yale and Stanford admissions officials couldn't care less if young Eddie can cook.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 PM

8,000 posts, read 3,759,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I know many families with both spouses working, including myself, who cooked dinner every night.
Exactly, as women are suppose to be able to ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4DR4vEgrs

`

Old 04-22-2015, 02:45 PM

309 posts, read 196,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because Harvard, Yale and Stanford admissions officials couldn't care less if young Eddie can cook.
Do they care if he can play football?

Old 04-22-2015, 02:54 PM

21,518 posts, read 22,791,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Many families eat out because parents are tired. They're tired of shopping; they're tired of prepping; they're tired of the never-ending cleaning; and they're tired of arguing with their children over eating. And no doubt, at this point some superior person will jump in and chastise young parents for not being better disciplinarians. I'm not going there. I've been doing this for longer than some of you have been alive, and I'm sympathetic. Day in day out cooking for a family is often drudgery, but it's more frugal than eating out all the time. I hereby award a cookie to any working parent who manages to do it without occasionally relying on take-out. As for the rest of you, who sometimes succumb to the siren call of Chipotle, I totally get it. You get a cookie, too.
I had a similar conversation with my mother recently. She was a SAHM, and she rarely cooks these days, so she and dad eat out fairly often. (Which they can afford.) She says it's because all those years of shopping and cleaning and "Mom/Hun, what's for dinner?" every night just killed any enjoyment of cooking as a creative process.

Old 04-22-2015, 02:56 PM

15,894 posts, read 8,847,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You implied that people that watch what they spend on eating out are on "tight budgets" and that is not always the case.
I implied no such thing. All sorts of people live with budgets, from those just scraping by to those with ample resources. That being said, if one is struggling to meet savings goals, spending on food prepared and eaten away from home is one of the first places I'd look to reduce spending, because it's low-hanging fruit. I've quoted my post below for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If money is tight, that's certainly a budget category that should be cut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Huh?

Both of my parents worked full time, and mom.always cooked for us. As a matter of fact, she managed to do all of those things some stay-at-home moms today want accolades for doing while they're home all day.
Yes, and so did mine. Let's not make this into another mommy war thread, please. My point about two-income families was only that many are functioning on a time deficit, so restaurant meals are appealing. In no way am I discounting the efforts of working parents. I honestly have no idea how my mom kept up with everything. She says she was sleep-deprived, and I believe her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I had a similar conversation with my mother recently. She was a SAHM, and she rarely cooks these days, so she and dad eat out fairly often. (Which they can afford.) She says it's because all those years of shopping and cleaning and "Mom/Hun, what's for dinner?" every night just killed any enjoyment of cooking as a creative process.
That's the case for my mom, too. I barely remember eating out when I was young. My mom had something prepared for dinner every night. If she was working 3-11, there was something in the crockpot. Now that she and my father are retired, she's making up for lost time. They rarely eat at home now.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-22-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,195,715 times
I avoid restaurants for the most part because i know i can save money on "tips" that stuff adds up. 100 dollar bill you're forced to pay 120, i can use that 20 bucks for a rainy day.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:08 PM

38,675 posts, read 15,482,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Add a food processor to that. Unless you are an Iron Chief, it takes time cutting and slicing raw veggies (stir fries). While they do sell frozen presliced veggies, they are not good for many dishes. Soggy.
I have two food processors, a large one and a small one bought a long time ago. However there are many times I don't use either. The trick is to keep your knives very sharp and brush up on some basic skills on use. You also don't need an expensive knife. A $35 Victorinox 8" Classic chef's knife will out cut anything out there, lasts a long time and can be put in a dishwasher. Just keep it sharp.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 PM

309 posts, read 196,198 times
My mom taught me to cook, clean, shop, iron and do all sorts of household chores all through my childhood and teenagerhood. I always had some duties I was relied on to do, and mom's workload became a little lighter (much lighter with the time). And she often asked for my input regarding what to cook for dinner, so we did not fight over it much.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:18 PM

15,894 posts, read 8,847,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
My mom taught me to cook, clean, shop, iron and do all sorts of household chores all through my childhood and teenagerhood. I always had some duties I was relied on to do, and mom's workload became a little lighter (much lighter with the time). And she often asked for my input regarding what to cook for dinner, so we did not fight over it much.
My husband learned through Boy Scouts. That cooking merit badge is one of the best things about Scouting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events