U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 06:33 PM

304 posts, read 314,673 times

Advertisements

These are households earning 75k or more a year (61st percentile and up) hardly a cross-section, or indicative of average American spending habits. The median American household makes around 50k. The title of the article is almost irresponsibly misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,619,522 times
I'm an American and I'm not broke. The title of the thread makes it sound like ALL Americans are broke which isn't true. Those who are broke from going out to eat over spend in other ways, not just eating in restaurants. It's just another broad all encompassing statement that's an exaggeration.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:54 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,752,548 times
We rarely go out to restaurants unless we are traveling. Reason #1 is that my wife really enjoys cooking. Reason #2 is that we like to have some wine with our dinner and we don't drink and drive.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 PM

8,046 posts, read 7,070,867 times
This is no shock. I'm always surprised at how many people eat out all the time. It shows in their profiles also.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:26 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 48,440,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I've been surprised at how much dining out has gone up over the last year or so, especially fast food. I went to Subway yesterday (had to go to Fedex Office and needed a quick lunch) and a foot long oven roasted chicken, chip, and drink was $10 and change. Places like McDonald's, Wendy's, and even White Castle are now getting expensive. It's actually cheaper for me to go to Chipotle, McAllister's, or most local lunch joints than to go to a fast food chain.
The Mexican place Quodoba is very expensive too which is why I only go if I hit the lottery. lol I purchased two tacos and a grilled chicken quesdilla was $18.00 total.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:28 PM

6,218 posts, read 8,370,173 times
For a single person, eating out smartly amounts to the same amount of money as buying and cooking food at home, sometimes eating out is actually cheaper.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 PM

3,806 posts, read 5,003,185 times
It is by far my greatest discretionary expense every month.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:18 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,933,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
At least we put our money where our mouth is

When you add up the cost for the food and especially the drinks, add tax, then a 15-20% tip, all of a sudden you're at $150 +. I'm working in Peru and we can go to 4-5 star restaurants here and not worry about the cost as it's usually about 1/3 of the cost in the USA. Just returned from Spain and restaurants there are about half of the USA cost.
Something tells me most of the restaurants one dines in outside the U.S. whether it's Peru, Spain, or many other countries are owned by families who work there and the profit they turn over supports their extended family.

They are not owned by corporate conglomerates who add exorbitant executive salaries, huge advertising budgets, and stockholder payouts to the price of your hamburger. Yes, fast-food meals are ridiculously priced in the United States of Corporations, and it's only going to get worse the more voters allow the Fortune 500 to run our government.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:39 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,933,764 times
Next time you're dining in any American-owned fast-food restaurant think about this. McDonald's, said to be suffering serious losses currently, is altering some of its practices and updating menus in a scramble to keep up with the changing tastes of the public. McDonald's president and CEO, a Mr. Don Thompson, received a total compensation package of $9.5 million in 2013 alone (many, many perks on top of a "base salary" of $1.225 million, as the company's fortunes were tanking).

So plans were made for Mr. Thompson's "retirement" and he has been replaced by a lower-level executive named Steve Easterbrook. His base will be a mere $1.1 million annually with perks and incentives guaranteeing it to be jacked up far into the stratosphere of close to $10 million, even if he is also a "failure." In the meantime, Mr. Thompson will received a golden parachute in the form of a $1.5 million cash payment Sept. 2, 2015, and another $1.5 million payment March 2, 2016. He will receive an extra $192,308 payment in September, which McDonald’s said was "in lieu of sabbatical" along with other payments, including up to $25,000 for outplacement services. In return for this $3+ million cushion, Mr. Thompson signed a non-compete contract for 24 months and will serve the McDonald's board as a "consultant" on an as-needed basis.

You wonder why you can't afford to feed your kids at a drive through these days? And you wonder why the workers at corporate chains are often only making $3 an hour? And you wonder why their CEOs would rather sabotage Obamacare than cover medical insurance for their employees? Chain restaurants owned by stockholders are ALL like this. The 1% must have what they think is due to them for their genius.

PS: I hope you didn't miss that $25,000 payment for "outplacement services." SERIOUSLY?! This guy has an estimated personal net worth of $20 million and he needs outplacement services? Well, of course he does. We can't expect him to stand in line at the Unemployment Office with all the other middle-aged men who were forced into retirement this year! I don't say this often but FFS.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-22-2015 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: addded info

Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 PM

769 posts, read 497,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I had a similar conversation with my mother recently. She was a SAHM, and she rarely cooks these days, so she and dad eat out fairly often. (Which they can afford.) She says it's because all those years of shopping and cleaning and "Mom/Hun, what's for dinner?" every night just killed any enjoyment of cooking as a creative process.
I still cook for my children, but the tedium of chopping, cooking, and cleanup also killed any potential enjoyment of cooking that I might have had if I weren't the oldest in a family of 9 growing up and my mother's #1 helper in the kitchen (and everywhere else, too). We never, ever ate out. No fast food ever, either. My father would never have considered it.

Eating out is a huge luxury for me nowadays. I don't get to do it often for budgetary reasons. But if I were ever to become rich, hiring a personal chef would be the only thing I would splurge on.

Growing up, we cooked breakfast every day for nine people (no cold cereal in our house), packed lunches for all the kids on school days or cooked lunch for nine on the weekends, and of course cooked a multi-course dinner for nine every night. My father insisted on the latter. My mother did not work outside the home, but I don't see how she could have. She had 7 children in 10 years, no dryer, no microwave, no crockpot, no disposable diapers, and no driver's license, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events