U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you trust dr. oz?
yes 29 12.72%
no 157 68.86%
not sure 24 10.53%
who the heck is dr. oz? 18 7.89%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:11 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,803,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't. he may be a gifted surgeon, but he's a quack when it comes to pushing his weight loss gibberish and other dubious 'cures.'

Angry Dr. Oz ready to fight his critics on Thursday’s show

In terms of information regarding his actual field of expertise, sure, he's probably one of the very best cardiothoracic surgeons in the nation. As far as his views on alternative medicine, he has some good ideas and has made a lot of valid points regarding the state of medical care in the U.S. and largely waiting for people to fall apart before treating them, somewhat similar to waiting for your engine to go out and then replacing the whole thing instead of doing regular oil changes, but he does push a lot of supplements and products with questionable at best efficacy and limited studies on them. Products like raspberry ketones and green coffee extract are things I became familiar with years ago and even then none of the studies showed any real effect in humans so it was surprising to me when he started pushing them.

Not everything he advocates is bad or useless but his judgment when it comes to stepping outside of his basic area of medical expertise has been questionable at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM

36 posts, read 26,506 times
Only gullible people would believe that the products he's promoting will work like magic. The most famous here in our country that was advertised "As seen on the Dr. Oz Show" is the Garcinia Cambogia which by now has many different manufacturers/Brands. I haven't tried the product. Too afraid because I don't even know which one is legit and fake. Because every product has "As seen on the Dr. Oz Show" on it. When it comes to money now days manufacturers are not mainly concern if their product would be effective or not as long as they can sell it.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:29 PM

910 posts, read 509,319 times
Not at all. He's too Hollywood and it's all about the money.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM

8,000 posts, read 6,768,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I thought Dr Oz was great until he gave in to promoting products that aren't up to par.
I agree. He crossed the line.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:33 PM

950 posts, read 672,169 times
I am not surprised that 100 people voted ..NO
I am totally shocked that 16 people voted ..YES

Old 04-23-2015, 02:42 PM

17,444 posts, read 14,921,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I am not surprised that 100 people voted ..NO
I am totally shocked that 16 people voted ..YES
Why? Trust doesn't mean you take everything they say as gospel, but I don't think he's less trustworthy than other docs, and if I needed surgery or a doc I would absolutely go to him.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 PM

950 posts, read 672,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why? Trust doesn't mean you take everything they say as gospel, but I don't think he's less trustworthy than other docs, and if I needed surgery or a doc I would absolutely go to him.

as PT Barnum said............."There is a sucker born every minute"

If I needed surgery there are many doctors I would go to instead.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:52 PM

1,700 posts, read 796,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I haven't trusted him since he sent Dorothy to get the broom knowing full well that he didn't have the power to return her to Kansas.
this just made my day

Old 04-23-2015, 02:58 PM

862 posts, read 667,137 times
I work in a pharmacy and several times every day the subject of Dr. Oz is brought up usually by our customers. The interesting thing about that is that at least at our pharmacy there are usually only two groups of people who bring up Dr. Oz. The elderly and those who had moved to our neighborhood from other places outside the US such as Russia, The Middle East, Africa, Japan and so forth. When they ask the pharmacist or even the staff a question many of them not only bring up Dr. Oz but even whip out their smartphones and demand the staff to watch a clip of Dr. Oz on their phone and often they would get VERY defensive when you tell them that you don't agree with Dr. OZ. Just yesterday a woman who had recently moved to our area from the Bahamas had asked our pharmacist for advice on something. He gave her the advice only for her to scream "...that's not what Dr. OZ says !!". She too had took out her phone and tried to show the pharmacist a clip of Oz but when our pharmacist told her that he didn't want to see it as she already asked him for advice...let's just say she was asked to leave the pharmacy thanks to her screaming.

Now with the elderly our pharmacy is located next to a retirement complex and with many of them while they may not whip out their phones and show Dr. OZ clips they do make it clear, to us anyway that the word from Dr. Oz is as good as gold. We had one woman in her 70s who actually had told us once that because he is on television Dr. Oz must always be right. Sad !!

Do I trust Dr. Oz ?? I will put it this way I usually take everything that I see and hear on TV & radio with a big grain of salt and that includes Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard, Dr. Joy Browne, those two guys on Red Eye Radio, Dr. Phil, our local Denver "troubleshooter" Tom Martino and yes Dr. Oz.

Last edited by tantan1968; 04-23-2015 at 03:09 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 04:35 PM

8,623 posts, read 5,915,195 times
I was waiting to find this as I know the good folks at C-D love a good controversy so they can add their two cents.

Lots of these posts are but what has been said/typed/reported/posted by news networks and then parroted back here.

I don't see a lot of scientific evidence proving OZ is a quack - that was manufactured by the MSM and all have chimed in calling him such. He is a HARPO creation; wait until he files some lawsuits for slander.

When will every daytime talk show come under fire? It needn't be factual info but most people eat it up...why else are the shows on? How about the show "The Doctors"? Will that come under fire next?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or