U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 06:48 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,779,629 times

Advertisements

Maybe the vet's bragging aspects about this action are a bit off, otherwise I have no problem with her actions.

I am very big on defending the Mr. Wilsons of the world (from "Dennis The Menace") who simply want to be left alone on their own property. I could care less about how much someone loves their cat, their poodle, or heck their pet snake. On my property, it's my rules. If I don't want a cat bothering me, by any definition which I consider a "bother," then so be it--it's my property and I don't want it here. I could care less about any "incidental" type of behavior, I just don't care nor do I WANT to care. If your cat is unwelcome here, or your dog, or your ferret, then keep it out of here. Period. Otherwise, as far as I'm concerned, I'm fully justified in getting it out of my hair however I freaking feel like it. On my property, I AM THE LAW.

To me, a pest is a pest. To the someone who said "killing a cat is different than killing a cockroach?"--how? To me a pest is a pest. I could care less how much someone else loves that cat, or that dog, or that snake, or that bird, or that penguin, whatever. I don't care, nor do I want to care. It's MY PROPERTY. It's my castle, my kingdom. Your cat doesn't pay my mortgage and has no rights here. Here, I decide what has value, not somebody else. Like I said, I AM THE LAW. If your cat hops on the hood of my $40,000 BMW and gets paw prints all over it after I spent $100 having it detailed, that is no different to me than a cockroach in the pantry. It is a pest.

Now, understand, we have 2 cats which just showed up here from heaven knows where, and I've been very compassionate towards them, and I much prefer being that way as opposed to being mean and all "get off my lawn" in my disposition. I like such people better than the Mr. Wilsons of the world myself. However, I nonetheless respect (if not admire) the Mr. Wilsons of the world who want to be left alone. They shouldn't have to buy 70 acres to do this either, their neighbors should keep their pets contained 100% of the time no exceptions allowed ever, or else they just can't have the animals period. It's not my obligation to have my life interrupted by pests and have to be all careful about how I rid myself of the nuisance, I should be able to fix the problem quickly and swiftly however I stinking feel like it. If you as the neighbor don't like this, then keep your animals contained or else just don't have them at all.

And no, the same standard doesn't go for children, for one reason--children are more important. (I am not speaking of how much children should be allowed to get away with before the parents step in, I'm referring to how a neighbor can't go shooting kids like they may feel like with shooting cats etc.) What is with people who think animals are as important as people, or even more so, it beats me, but it's a wacko and stupid opinion to have, to be perfectly blunt.

There's something to be said for being neighborly in terms of being nice vs mean and aggressive if someone's cat wanders onto your place, I understand. However, I also understand people who want to be left alone on their own place, and their disposition should be respected. You do whatever you have to do to accommodate these persons, and keep your pets on your own place whatever that takes.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:50 PM

430 posts, read 645,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So will you offer to pay off her school loans or should she pay those off with her $8.00/hr cashier job? Or maybe go back to school and postpone her life for another 4-6 years and add tens of thousands of more dollars to her debt?

She was fired. She received the scorn of a nation. You will forget this story in a week. She is an internet meme right now so it will be months before she can get another job, if not longer, even with her license. Don't be a glutton.
Of course not. She chose to attend the school and pay the tuition, and she chose to take her chances entering a profession that she is not mentally fit for. She can sue the school for accepting a sociopath, but I have no obligation to pay her loans and neither does anyone else in society.

Attending college or professional school does not guarantee a job. For anyone.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 PM

430 posts, read 645,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
On my property, it's my rules.
Wrong. Your property is in a state, and you go by the laws of the state. Sorry bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I'm fully justified in getting it out of my hair however I freaking feel like it. On my property, I AM THE LAW.
Nope. You'd be breaking the law in virtually any state to injure a cat wandering onto your property. Are you a criminal? You sound like one.

Try to handle anything on your property "your way" if you want, but just don't expect us to feel sorry for you when you end up in jail or with a hefty fine for your criminal actions on your own property.

No man is an island.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:54 PM

9,610 posts, read 17,757,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has posted this, but here is a petition asking the board in Texas to revoke her license.

https://www.change.org/p/texas-state...share_petition
I signed it.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:58 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,530,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Guys, I do not have the time to reply to individual comments.

If she really did just go out and kill that cat knowing full well that it was her neighbors pet then that's another story.

But we do not know that for a fact. You are making a fair amount of assumption to get to that point.

The point still remains that your outrage is miss placed, unless of course you're a vegan who does not own any leather products or animal bi-products (almost impossible). We're all just as guilty as this women. We all have blood on our hands from eating meat. How do you think those cows are killed. A bolt of metal through the head, just like little kitty.

If you eat eggs you're killing newborn male chicks. Tossing them alive into a grinder by the millions. But you won't admit it. You're so removed from what really happens you won't accept the truth.

If you really cared, you'd be eating tofu and donating 20% of your income to feed starving children in third world countries. But you're not doing that are you? So who are you to judge?
So wait, you are saying she killed the cat for food, and the hide to make something to wear out of it? Really?

If not, you have no point, and feel a need to stand up for her. If its wrong for a people Doctor to trap and kill people in their spare time, it is just as wrong for Vet to trap and kill animals, imho. She is a trained professional, and has a responsibility to act like one.

She could always go back to Wyoming, get the proper liscense, and try bow hunting - a kitty her own size.

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/mountain_lion-wide.jpg

Maybe - just maybe, that would be something to brag about on social media.

If she had been some random Walmart cashier, people would still be upset - but the act wouldnt have been quite as damning.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 PM

5,805 posts, read 2,168,594 times
Has this nasty supposed animal caregiver started her own "Gofundme" yet? Her picture and stupid grin indicates she's rather immature and thinks life revolves around her..and since I've read quite a few her condoning her behaviour'''She might just make some cash out of this!!

My heart goes out to this kitty's parents..Elderly don't do well with such horrific endings of a fur buddy...Geesh..They are just like children/family

Old 04-23-2015, 07:18 PM

27,457 posts, read 15,144,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
FIFY.

Just because we can't solve the entire world hunger problem, does not mean we can't save millions of lives.

But you just go ahead and dismiss it as "not your problem". Tiger the cat gets more press than the starving kids in third world countries.

And America probably could feed the world, but instead we're busy feeding the cows, pigs and chickens.
Yeah. So we can eat them not because we care about them.

Should we ONLY discuss starving children in the Current Events forum?

I happen to think that caring about animal welfare and caring about child welfare are not mutually exclusive.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM

2,784 posts, read 2,585,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Nope. I love cats too, and mine will stay indoors/outdoors, going through the cat door whenever she damn well pleases.
Guess you don't much care for the native bird population then. Or your cat getting run over.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
So wait, you are saying she killed the cat for food, and the hide to make something to wear out of it? Really?

If not, you have no point, and feel a need to stand up for her.
No. I'm saying most of the folks here kill and eat animals so they should take a good look in the mirror before being so judgmental about this vet (provided that what she is saying (feral cat) is true).

I also made the point that it's considered humane to kill feral cats, so they can't kill the native bird population and they can't breed and make more feral cats.

So if she's telling the truth, then it's not a big deal. Even if she didn't then it's still being blown WAY out of proportion.

My wife's OB/GYN doctor is a hunter. Guess he should be banned from his profession because he enjoys killing his meal, rather than paying someone else to do his dirty work.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Yeah. So we can eat them not because we care about them.

Should we ONLY discuss starving children in the Current Events forum?

I happen to think that caring about animal welfare and caring about child welfare are not mutually exclusive.
Exactly. We feed them so we can eat them, when that land could grow food for starving humans.

People are pretty evil selfish bunch (myself included) so I find it a little absurd that we enslave and murder (beloved) animals on an unprecedented scale, but we're all OK with it.

But kill a pet and we go on a witch hunt.

Guess I learned something from this thread. It's not about the animals death and suffering (as I though), it's about people and their sense of loss. Which I understand, but this lady claimed she though it was a feral cat, not the neighbors pet.

If she really did premeditate the whole thing and post on face book then she has lost her marbles. That's 100% career suicide. So either she's telling the truth, or she's insane. Sorry, but no one smart enough to get a degree is that dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or