U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 01:55 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,576,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Unfortunately this is not the first time, that people in Texas (where she is residing), have killed their neighbors pets, and then posted pictures of it on the internet for the entire world to see. A certain segment of Texans seem to think that this is perfectly normal, and something to be proud of.
A couple years ago some redneck family from Texas shot and killed a young boy when they believed that he and his family had trespassed on their property while out to ride 4x4s. In reality that family was never even on their property - but the idiots believed that they were and that it was perfectly OK to kill strangers just for stepping on their land. Actually, according to the article, "Texas does have a "castle" law that allows property owners to shoot if someone is trespassing on their property at night."

Texas Couple to Face Murder Charge for Shotgun Blast at Car that Killed Boy - ABC News

So if your car breaks down in TX after dark, and you have no cellphone reception, pretend that you're in a Walking Dead setting. Don't even dream about asking for help, they can legally kill you and they just might.

Here in MI, a guy is being prosecuted for firing at a girl banging on his door in the middle of the night. While it is possible that he sincerely believed his home was being broken into (he's living close to Detroit in a not very safe area) the law absolutely does not allow him to just kill someone without knowing that his life was indeed in danger - i.e. you can't just shoot a person for knocking on your door, they have to break it down first. Which is just plain common sense. Apparently they see things differently in TX.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:56 PM

9,285 posts, read 16,124,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Here are some thoughts on people who become irate about cats killing birds and squirrels and so forth. There are no numbers of feral cats that can out number humans who kill those critters by wantonly destroying their habitats year after year. I have seen cats stalk their prey. They won't bother with anything strong and health they know can get away from them. Nine times out of ten, I have seen them miss. Humans are more accurate when they plow the ground under or chop down trees with nests or cement over borrows. As people move in on city and suburban land, they cut down trees and cement over ground where hundreds of wildlife live.

Over the past ten years or so in my former city, I saw so many animal habitats destroyed to make way for human habitats it was sickening. A few cats killing a few birds who were more than likely ready to perish of old age anyway could never make up for the amount of destruction of animal habitats caused by human beings.

Sometimes its just wanton destruction. When people put bird feeders and squirrel feeders in their yards so they can have the pleasure of attracting these animals, they are inviting prey animals to a smorgasbord. Then they blame the prey cats and dogs and whatever else for killing birds or squirrels on their property. It's like inviting people to your house for a sumptuous meal and then telling them not to eat anything.

Environmentalists and nature experts advise against putting these things in people's back yards because it messes up the environment but people will anyway. People are the number one killers of other animals whether intentional or otherwise, not cats.
BUT..... BUT..... BUT.... I LOVE my hummingbird feeder!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
No apology necessary. I agree. TX doesn't have the monopoly on that attitude, though. When I lived in rural MS, people would shoot strays for target practice. And the vet who committed this atrocity is from Wyoming - the state that is among the five worst states for any type of animal protection (along with Kentucky, Iowa, Utah, and New Mexico).

REALLY surprised Missouri isn't down there in the dregs with the states you listed....

Old 04-24-2015, 01:58 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,569,650 times
Quote:
The problem is that her family and her coworkers saw nothing wrong with what she had done. That is a cultural thing. In another state, people would say, "You killed a defenseless animal with an arrow? Whats wrong with you?"But in Texas apparently people say, "Wow, awesome. Here you hold it up, and let me take a picture of it. We'll put it on Facebook. Your coworkers at the vet clinic are going to get such a kick out of this."

I have no doubt that sick people are killing cats everyday in every state in this country. The difference is that in Texas, they put the pictures of it on Facebook for everyone to see. And no one sees anything wrong with it, until people out side the state start taking notice. Personally I couldn't live in that type of a place. Sorry Texas.
You are labeling everybody in the state of Texas over this? I can see how Texans would be all broken up over you not wanting to live there. I don't see the whole state as being like that at all. I have visited Texas and found most of the people to be very friendly and not animal abusers.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times
Just found this. She did absolutely nothing wrong, and all you people in big cities, should just mind you own business. LOL. The only thing she is guilty of is bad judgment for posting it on Facebook.

Quote:
Friday (April 17)
6:44 p.m.
Despite the controversy, fired veterinarian Kristen Lindsey does have supporters in Washington County.

Shannon Stoddard stopped by the Washington Animal Clinic with balloons and a thank you note.

"She's amazing. She’s caring,” Stoddard said. “She’s a good vet, so maybe her bad choice of posting something on Facebook was not good. But I don't think she should be judged for it."

Washington County Resident Preston Northrup said "all these people in the cities just don't understand what goes on in the country and they get in an uproar. They ought to just mind their own business."
http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/V...300293461.html

Old 04-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
This is probably not about mental illness. So many people are mean and cruel, given a chance, that it's too common to be considered an illness. That's why there have been so many murders, rapes, wars and genocides from the very beginnings of the human race. That's why there is factory farming of animals in completely inhumane conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Sure, there's something wrong with mean people from my point of view, but that wrongness isn't technically mental illness. It's a very common human trait, like color blindness or extreme ignorance.
Actually it is a diagnosable mental illness. They are narcissistic sociopaths. I don't necessarily disagree with the rest of your statement. The only thing it proves is that a lot of people who are mentally ill.

Last edited by KaaBoom; 04-24-2015 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Stupid stereotypes are stupid.

I wasn't aware one family/social circle represented the largest state in the lower 48.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
seeing how a single person in a state with a population of nearly 28 million has made the entire state unlivable for you, what will you do if a similar situation happens in Oregon?

i guess you'll have to move?
It's not one case. It's fairly common in Texas.

Texas firefighter kills dogs, posts pictures on Facebook - Houston Chronicle

Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,868,781 times
Quote:

Then don't come to Texas. We really don't care.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:43 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,477,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Exactly. She could have genuinely thought she was helping as feral cats are a problem as they breed more feral cats = more cat suffering and more dead birds.

Feral cats are not a natural thing as they have been introduced en masse by humans.

And BTW any small animal that has an arrow through it's head is dead and can't feel anything. The body sometimes will go on twitching for awhile.
Re the bolded: that explains the genuinely happy, proud grin on her face in the picture, I guess.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
A couple years ago some redneck family from Texas shot and killed a young boy when they believed that he and his family had trespassed on their property while out to ride 4x4s. In reality that family was never even on their property - but the idiots believed that they were and that it was perfectly OK to kill strangers just for stepping on their land. Actually, according to the article, "Texas does have a "castle" law that allows property owners to shoot if someone is trespassing on their property at night."

Texas Couple to Face Murder Charge for Shotgun Blast at Car that Killed Boy - ABC News

So if your car breaks down in TX after dark, and you have no cellphone reception, pretend that you're in a Walking Dead setting. Don't even dream about asking for help, they can legally kill you and they just might.

Here in MI, a guy is being prosecuted for firing at a girl banging on his door in the middle of the night. While it is possible that he sincerely believed his home was being broken into (he's living close to Detroit in a not very safe area) the law absolutely does not allow him to just kill someone without knowing that his life was indeed in danger - i.e. you can't just shoot a person for knocking on your door, they have to break it down first. Which is just plain common sense. Apparently they see things differently in TX.
If my car broke down anywhere between Arizona and Florida, I would not feel safe knocking on someone's door for help. Just saying.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM

7,456 posts, read 5,444,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

Nothing shocking here. Maybe more guns will fix human stupidity... lol...

Months or a year or more back, on one of the forums around here, there was a news article about some sociopath who rigged a trap with a shotgun in his garage and killed a local teenager who got too close to the dark, open garage. The guy had some problems with thieves, but there never was any evidence that the teen in question was the thief.

Sadly, one would be shocked (or maybe not) at the number of bloodthirsty nuts around here who defended the guy's actions. Same idea with another case around the same time about some guy firing shots at police who happened to cross onto his property.

All I can say is that I seriously hope anyone who supports a "kill first, ask questions never" policy ends up broken down on a Texas road with no cell phone and nobody but kill-crazy hicks for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or