Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 05:42 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,242,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I don't eat meat.
Most of us don't eat pets (ours or anyone else's). Texas cat-hunting vet possible excluded. She didn't say if she was planning to eat her neighbor's cat after the photo-op.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:46 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,648,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Most of us don't eat pets (ours or anyone else's). Texas cat-hunting vet possible excluded. She didn't say if she was planning to eat her neighbor's cat after the photo-op.
So feral cats and dogs are on the menu for you then?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:00 PM

28,840 posts, read 30,085,033 times
Quote:
You have to keep in mind how a subjective situation is different from an objective one. I value the lives of my pets over the lives of other people I don't know. If vets take an oath to protect animals they certainly shouldn't support the slaughter of billions every year, should they?
Not all vets feel like that....

watched a show on Nat Geo today where they were rounding up feral cats and spading them, then letting them run free thereafter...there are a lot of good people out there who love their jobs b/c they are helping animals.....

Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,648,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Not all vets feel like that....

watched a show on Nat Geo today where they were rounding up feral cats and spading them, then letting them run free thereafter...there are a lot of good people out there who love their jobs b/c they are helping animals.....
I'm not talking about euthanasia of homeless animals or terminally ill pets, but that's a good point. I believe in TNR. I am talking about supporting the meat industry.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:14 PM

50,138 posts, read 35,802,333 times
Quote:
You have to keep in mind how a subjective situation is different from an objective one. I value the lives of my pets over the lives of other people I don't know. If vets take an oath to protect animals they certainly shouldn't support the slaughter of billions every year, should they?
I don't think you can extend it that far...that's like saying all doctors should support pro-life political groups. Like doctors, I think the most important tenet of any professional oath is "First, do no harm".

Anyone who ever had a pet die in the care of this vet is most likely agonizingly questioning everything about the care it got now, as I would be...did she take it upon herself to "euthanize" a pet she was supposed to be saving, since she is apparently all-knowing in which pet's life is worthless and which is not? This is betrayal of a tall order IMO, and much worse than a regular person harming an animal. Hoping very much she didn't get taxpayer assistance to attend vet school.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,940,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Whats up with Texas? Texas firefighters killing dogs. Texas veterinarians killing cats, and the list goes on and on.
You seem like an intelligent person.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,242,592 times
Quote:
So feral cats and dogs are on the menu for you then?
Nah, too gamy.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Quote:
I don't eat meat.
That has absolutely nothing to do with the maiming and torturing of someone's pet. No one here is advocating the killing of cats for food. You don't make any point here. People who do eat meat have every right to condemn this monster who took an oath to save animal lives not wantonly destroy them.

If you cannot see the difference, there is something wrong in your judgement. If you are sympathizing with the cat killer as you appear to be, you are no better than she is.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,507,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Geez guys....

Firstly, I'm a cat lover myself and I've had to put down my sick pets (vet) and rehome others (child that developed sever allergies).

When I lived in the city, I looked after some abandoned cats and used to try to find them a home etc.

But I have no problem with someone humanly killing a feral cat that was on their property.

I have a hard time believing that she knew it was her neighbors cat and killed it anyway. And if she did actually know, then why the hell would she post it on-line?

This lady made a dumb mistake, a very dumb mistake and as a vet, she should have known that it wasn't a feral cat.

But does she deserve to have her career ruined? What's a vet's degree cost?

And as for those that have a problem with her happy smile. Well... hunters (I'm not a hunter BTW) are how we as humans survived for millions of years. Evolution has taught us that a successful hunt = survival = happy.

As for animal suffering and cruelty? Well I guess all of you posting here must be vegans.

It's standard industry practice to grind all baby male chicks (while still alive) into a grinder. Why? Because they are not profitable to industry.

Egg industry grinds millions of baby chicks alive - Animal News: Animal Planet

What about all those starving kids in third world countries, while you drive around in your SUV sipping your $5 starbucks? Just giving up your morning coffee could literally save human children lives, but yet we all ignore that little fact. Four people die every second of the day due to hunger. We/you could save them for a few dollars a day, but most of us don't.

So I would suggest taking a good look in the mirror before picking up your pitch forks.
you begin your post bu telling us you are a cat lover, but then go on to illustrate just how untrue your original statement is. cats are forever pets. you strike me as someone who loves cats, probably just kittens, until they become an inconvenience. please don't get another cat, ever.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:36 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,131,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
Tell that to the DA who is charging her. You obviously aren't very experienced reading statutes, but she didn't have the owner's consent so she is guilty. If there is no owner of a feral animal, it is impossible to gain consent, and therefore still guilty.
This leads me to 2 questions:

1. Does the presumption of innocence no longer apply? Guilty unless certain conditions are met sure sounds like it.

2. My attorney told me that one of the tenets of American law is that any act not specifically prohibited is permitted. Did he misinform me? The reason I ask is because one cannot gain consent from an entity that does not exist (the owner of a feral animal) - unless some other statute says that feral animals are owned by the people of Texas, or by Texas Parks & Wildlife. It seems to me that if an element of an offense cannot be satisfied, then the act in question cannot possible be construed as a criminal act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp View Post
All the statute is saying is "the one exception is if the animal has an owner and that owner gives consent. Otherwise, knowingly causing harm to the animal is a criminal act."

If you read the statute again, it even explicitly meontions feral animals as those which it is illegal to harm.
I'm specifically asking about the part that mentions killing an animal without the owner's effective consent. For the sake of this discussion, let's limit our scope to that, not to the broader category of harming an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events