U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 07:32 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,503,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
It seems Dr. Lindsey has an equine veterinary business registered in Wyoming. Any action taken in TX may not be enough to prevent this person from working with animals.

Kristen Lindsey has an active equine business registered in Wyoming - Greenville Cats | Examiner.com
Next on Dr. Lindsey's blog - How I Shot A Feral Horse to Protect My Community. Photo of proud doctor standing on the carcass below.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Talk to your neighbors (we're talking about pets/domesticated animals here, not vermin.) Let them know that this issue is important enough to you to take further action, like ...
Call Animal Control.
Borrow a humane trap, take trapped animal to pound.

Breaking the law by shooting your neighbor's pet, and in states like Texas, at least, shooting a feral domesticated animal, is pretty much a bad idea. Poisoning said animals would also be verboten.

Honestly, I fail to understand why the most violent approach should ever be considered as the first line of defense, especially since it's also illegal.
Because it's what's easiest, and that is the only thing that matters to me. You're speaking of a situation that's interrupting my time off at home. With regards to ANYTHING that interrupts my free time, convenience is ALL I care about. I already have a job, one I'm PAID for, I don't want or need another one.

What else, do I need to trap every mouse non-lethally and take them to the pet shop? Should I trap every wasp and take them to a bee keeper? If trapping it works and is EVERY BIT AS EASY as shooting it, then I'm fine with the idea, but the minute it becomes more of a fuss and eats up too much of my free time and I'm not being paid for it, I lose interest.

If people in rural southern areas are like this, it's because we moved to the country to be left alone, and the woods often times provides us cover for "shoot, shovel and shut up" to operate. Leave us alone, and we'll be more than happy to leave your pets alone. Harass us, then you lose any moral right to complain about what follows. To the extent that the law says we can't rid our premises of pests quickly and expediously, the law is wrong.

Like I said, we let our cats roam and we're all fine with it, but if bothered someone, I'd handle it by keeping my cats indoors or rehoming them. Period. Also nuisance dogs are NOT welcome here, and yes, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW, if your dog keeps harassing me on my property and you neglect to control it despite being warned, I'm not going to keep messing around with the matter. I'm solving it, quickly. The law can suck a long one for all I care.

Last edited by shyguylh; 04-26-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 08:52 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,581,673 times
Thank goodness the views you hold are in the minority. And thank goodness what you are advocating has laws to prevent it. Your choice to break the law has its consequences. The problem begins when your attitude and actions influence your children to believe that is a valid way to think and act.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:04 AM

25,456 posts, read 23,285,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Thank goodness the views you hold are in the minority. And thank goodness what you are advocating has laws to prevent it. Your choice to break the law has its consequences. The problem begins when your attitude and actions influence your children to believe that is a valid way to think and act.
and your choice, to not understand, his/her point of view....I can? What is so hard about a responsible pet owner keeping their animals to their own property?

I'm sorry, like I said before, I wouldn't ever kill someone's pet, but, sometimes you get pretty sick and tired of someone else's pet tresspassing. I had a neighbor, once, who had a dog she walked off leash, and it always stopped and peed on my rose bushes nad they died....because it was every day, and I talked to her many times, but she didn't care....I was forced to take out all those bushes and plant grass, b/c she refused to pay for them....all my beautiful roses....

Old 04-26-2015, 09:49 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,503,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Because it's what's easiest, and that is the only thing that matters to me. You're speaking of a situation that's interrupting my time off at home. With regards to ANYTHING that interrupts my free time, convenience is ALL I care about. I already have a job, one I'm PAID for, I don't want or need another one.

What else, do I need to trap every mouse non-lethally and take them to the pet shop? Should I trap every wasp and take them to a bee keeper? If trapping it works and is EVERY BIT AS EASY as shooting it, then I'm fine with the idea, but the minute it becomes more of a fuss and eats up too much of my free time and I'm not being paid for it, I lose interest.

If people in rural southern areas are like this, it's because we moved to the country to be left alone, and the woods often times provides us cover for "shoot, shovel and shut up" to operate. Leave us alone, and we'll be more than happy to leave your pets alone. Harass us, then you lose any moral right to complain about what follows. To the extent that the law says we can't rid our premises of pests quickly and expediously, the law is wrong.

Like I said, we let our cats roam and we're all fine with it, but if bothered someone, I'd handle it by keeping my cats indoors or rehoming them. Period. Also nuisance dogs are NOT welcome here, and yes, I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE LAW, if your dog keeps harassing me on my property and you neglect to control it despite being warned, I'm not going to keep messing around with the matter. I'm solving it, quickly. The law can suck a long one for all I care.
I believe that pet owners also are responsible for containing their animals. This includes the rural people who let their dogs run wild rather than controlling them. As to pet cats, I believe they should be kept indoors, except when they are out on a leash or in a safe enclosure. My cats are indoor. Not sure how you'd do that with barn cats. Our barn cats (when I was a kid) had the run of the neighborhood, and all the mice they could catch. Nobody seemed to mind them.

It's a false equivalency to bring up vermin like mice and rats. You know they are not house pets, and it is legal to kill vermin on your property. Insects likewise, so you can drop the mice and wasps (which beekeepers do not keep, BTW) from your arguments.

Out of curiosity, how inconvenient do you think it is to be investigated for lawbreaking? And then possibly charged, have to go to court, pay a fine/do community service/whatever the consequences are. Sounds more inconvenient to me than putting a can of food in a humane trap, and dropping the caught creature off. <shrug> Maybe that's just me.

Look, I understand the impulse. There have been more than a few people who could have used abrupt and violent euthanasia in my life. But I have never so much as struck them, much less tried to kill them. In a civilized society, there are things we don't do, no matter how much we understand the urge and reasoning.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,570,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
you begin your post bu telling us you are a cat lover, but then go on to illustrate just how untrue your original statement is. cats are forever pets. you strike me as someone who loves cats, probably just kittens, until they become an inconvenience. please don't get another cat, ever.
Eaxctly how did I illustrate "how untrue my original statement is"?

I had to have one of our cats put down because they had FIP. We paid for a vet to come to our house and we comforted our cat the whole time. It was a devastating experience since he was only about a year old.

Five years later I had to call 911 because my 2.5 year old daughter couldn't breathe. The sheriff and FD that arrived before the ambulance were freaked out and called for the ambulance to hurry the hell up.

We had no choice but to re-home our pets. Which we did BTW. A couple from OK drove an 800 mile round trip to take our two cats.

Or do you consider your child almost dying to be an "inconvenience?"

You need to learn how to read better. Either that or you're an idiot.

Last edited by Colorado^; 04-26-2015 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 02:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,109,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Really? How do YOU know what 'one's' position is?

This is one of the most ridiculous statements I've read on this thread.

Just reading the posts from different people who most likely eat meat but are horrified by what this vet did will show you that your premise (stated above) is absolutely false.
Before you freak out, think about what I said logically. Eating meat is unnecessary for good health. Meat production involves the killing animals. Therefore, when one eats meat, while part of modern society with choices, they are directly supporting the unnecessary killing of animals.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:10 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,603,162 times
My feral cat the first night in our house...
Attached Thumbnails
Texas veterinarian kills cat with bow-img_0788.jpg  

Old 04-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My feral cat the first night in our house...
That looks like a socialized kitten, not a feral cat.

Feral cat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A feral cat is a domesticated cat that has returned to the wild, or the descendants of such an animal. It is distinguished from a stray cat, which is a pet cat that has been lost or abandoned, while feral cats have never been socialized. The offspring of a stray cat can be considered feral if born in the wild.[1] In many parts of the world, feral cats are the offspring of unaltered domestic cats.

Last edited by Colorado^; 04-26-2015 at 02:37 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Before you freak out, think about what I said logically. Eating meat is unnecessary for good health. Meat production involves the killing animals. Therefore, when one eats meat, while part of modern society with choices, they are directly supporting the unnecessary killing of animals.
And not just any animal, but one (cows) which are consider sacred by over a billion people.

Quote:
The cow remains a protected animal in Hinduism today and Hindus do not eat beef. Most rural Indian families have at least one dairy cow, a gentle spirit who is often treated as a member of the family.
Imagine hindu's farming, slaughtering and eating 35,507,500 cats annually. But you know, it's not our county or religion, so somehow people think it's not hypocritical.

The human mind is great at condemning others slights, while justifying their own barbaric behavior as perfectly OK.

Social acceptability does not equal morality.

In the U.S., on average, we eat 31 animals per person, each year. Sure looks like we're a bunch of sociopath killers to me. Bunch of pots calling the kettle black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or