Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 02:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
You don't understand my point at all. I don't sypathize with the cat killer in the slightest. My point is that it is hypocritical for someone to be so opposed to this woman killing a cat if they eat meat. By eating meat, one takes the position that it is okay to kill animals even when it is clearly not necessary. This woman killed an animal when it wasn't necessary and now there is outrage from meat eaters. What exactly makes this animal special in a way that billions of others aren't? Is it because it's someones property? If this is the case she should be required to replace the cat, not a hard thing to do at all, just go to the local shelter. Is it because someone cares about the cat? If this is the case, I proclaim right now that I care about ever single sentient animal on this planet, now all animals are on equal standing. It is really simple, most people in this thread are complete hypocrites.
I 100% agree with you that animals in the food industry are treated horribly and that needs to change. But I am not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve here? Do you want non-vegetarians to stop trying to have this woman punished? IMO, it is great that so many people from all walks of life are disgusted by her actions.

Old 04-26-2015, 02:54 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Stray cats are the number one carrier of rabies to humans. Is it illegal to bow hunt in his state?
Statistic? Cats hardly ever carry rabies, at least that's what my vet told me.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:01 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoDog View Post
I apologize if this has been shared already, but I couldn't find it, so I figured I'd post just in case.

News media releases and info and important websites on Texas vet who killed cat - Greenville Cats | Examiner.com

Since a Texas veterinarian posted the photo of a cat shot with a bow and arrow, the post has gone viral and outrage in the animal advocacy community can be felt around the world. This article will post a few updates, along with website links to keep up on the latest information on this case.

The situation began when Kristen Lindsey, veterinarian for Washington Animal Clinic in Brenham, posted the photo of herself holding a dead cat with an arrow through the head to her Facebook page late Thursday evening. Her post read

"My first bow kill, lol. The only good feral tomcat is one with an arrow through it's head! Vet of the year award ... Gladly accepted."
Sorry, but I'm just seeing this as part of the nation's distain for cats, and I find it disgusting. Would she have bragged so much had she killed a stray dog? Would she have felt the same pride had she picked off a puppy? Cruelty to animals is cruelty to animals. You are not awesome if you kill your customers' pets! She should have her license revoked.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:17 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Sorry, but I'm just seeing this as part of the nation's distain for cats, and I find it disgusting. Would she have bragged so much had she killed a stray dog?
Actually yes. Texans do that too. There was the Texas firefighter who proudly shot his neighbors dog and posted the pictures on Facebook too.

This woman said she loves killing "things". She is just a sociopath. She would probably rather kill a human-being, but that's too risky. So she just settles for killing what ever she can.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:23 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
You don't understand my point at all. I don't sypathize with the cat killer in the slightest. My point is that it is hypocritical for someone to be so opposed to this woman killing a cat if they eat meat. By eating meat, one takes the position that it is okay to kill animals even when it is clearly not necessary. This woman killed an animal when it wasn't necessary and now there is outrage from meat eaters. What exactly makes this animal special in a way that billions of others aren't? Is it because it's someones property? If this is the case she should be required to replace the cat, not a hard thing to do at all, just go to the local shelter. Is it because someone cares about the cat? If this is the case, I proclaim right now that I care about ever single sentient animal on this planet, now all animals are on equal standing. It is really simple, most people in this thread are complete hypocrites.
I am not opposed to killing a cat if it is for humane purposes. I have had to have my pet cats humanely killed due to terminal illnesses for which there was no cure like Cancer and congestive heart failure and end stage renal disease. It's called being euthanized and it was done with an injection in which the cats did not suffer or feel terrified as this cat must have done.

I am opposed to killing a perfectly healthy cat by shooting it in the head with an arrow after trapping it in a leg hold trap. I don't believe the meat I have eaten has ever been killed in this manner and the attitude of the people who killed it was with malice and cruelty as was the monster who killed this cat.

I understand what you are saying and I do not think you have a valid point. You do sympathize with the cat killer if you don't oppose her killing of it. Period. Bringing in the fact that other animals are killed no matter how or why in comparison only shows that you lump all animal killings in the same category whether they are killed out of cruelty for someone's sick pleasure or to for food. There is a difference whether you want to admit it or not. I get really tired of people like you making these ridiculous apples and oranges comparisons.

The fact that you believe it is possible to replace one animal with another shows even more how little you grasp of the situation or really do care about either animals or people.

Just because you do not eat meant does not make you more humane than someone who does.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I 100% agree with you that animals in the food industry are treated horribly and that needs to change. But I am not sure what exactly you are trying to achieve here? Do you want non-vegetarians to stop trying to have this woman punished? IMO, it is great that so many people from all walks of life are disgusted by her actions.
Do you really believe that's my intention? People are truly disgusted by this woman's actions, which is good. I am trying to show that if they hold the viewpoint that what she did was wrong then eating meat is wrong as well.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Default Pants On Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Stray cats are the number one carrier of rabies to humans. Is it illegal to bow hunt in his state?
Okay, now tell another one.

WHO | Rabies

http://healthvermont.gov/news/2012/092712_rabies.aspx

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...ts/rabies.html

Old 04-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I am not opposed to killing a cat if it is for humane purposes. I have had to have my pet cats humanely killed due to terminal illnesses for which there was no cure like Cancer and congestive heart failure and end stage renal disease. It's called being euthanized and it was done with an injection in which the cats did not suffer or feel terrified as this cat must have done.
That is an entirely seperate issue.

Quote:
I am opposed to killing a perfectly healthy cat by shooting it in the head with an arrow after trapping it in a leg hold trap. I don't believe the meat I have eaten has ever been killed in this manner and the attitude of the people who killed it was with malice and cruelty as was the monster who killed this cat.
You are correct, the meat that you eat isn't treated like this. It is treated FAR FAR worse than this for FAR longer periods of time.

Quote:
I understand what you are saying and I do not think you have a valid point.
Where is my logic flawed?

Quote:
You do sympathize with the cat killer if you don't oppose her killing of it. Period.
That is absolutely absurd. Complete nonsense.

Quote:
Bringing in the fact that other animals are killed no matter how or why in comparison only shows that you lump all animal killings in the same category whether they are killed out of cruelty for someone's sick pleasure or to for food.
Eating meat isn't necessary in modern society. It is done purely out of pleasure. Therefore it is no different than someone's sick pleasure.

Quote:
There is a difference whether you want to admit it or not.
Yes there is a difference, the difference is people look at certain animals as pets, others as food and others as wildlife. It is completely arbitrary and in fact is exactly the same as any other prejudice.

Quote:
I get really tired of people like you making these ridiculous apples and oranges comparisons.
I would imagine people dislike it when they are proven to be hypocrites.

Quote:
The fact that you believe it is possible to replace one animal with another shows even more how little you grasp of the situation or really do care about either animals or people.
Nonsense.

Quote:
Just because you do not eat meant does not make you more humane than someone who does.
That is the same as me saying just because you don't trap and kill cats in your yard for fun doesn't make you more humane than someone who does. I cause less suffering to sentient beings than you do. If that doesn't make me more humane than you, what does?

Old 04-26-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
And not just any animal, but one (cows) which are consider sacred by over a billion people.

Imagine hindu's farming, slaughtering and eating 35,507,500 cats annually. But you know, it's not our county or religion, so somehow people think it's not hypocritical.

The human mind is great at condemning others slights, while justifying their own barbaric behavior as perfectly OK.

Social acceptability does not equal morality.

In the U.S., on average, we eat 31 animals per person, each year. Sure looks like we're a bunch of sociopath killers to me. Bunch of pots calling the kettle black.
Exactly!!

Old 04-26-2015, 03:40 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Do you really believe that's my intention? People are truly disgusted by this woman's actions, which is good. I am trying to show that if they hold the viewpoint that what she did was wrong then eating meat is wrong as well.
No, I was curious what your intention was because you didn't make that clear in your previous posts. It almost came across like only those who are vegetarians are entitled to be outraged by the murder of the cat. But you clarified it above, so now I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events