U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 06:38 AM

17,415 posts, read 14,902,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
If she was a hunter and posted a picture of her and a dead deer would that be any different to you?
Was the deer a domesticated pet belonging to the elderly neighbors? Did she shoot it through the eye and then hold it up by said arrow sticking out of it's eye? Did she brag on social media saying the only good deer is one with an arrow through its' head? If yes to above, AND she's a veterinarian (which is a critical point in this debate and the reason for most of the outrage) then yes, there would be equal outrage.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,399,626 times
Quote:
If she was a hunter and posted a picture of her and a dead deer would that be any different to you?
That depends on the circumstances.

Years ago, I lived very near a little mom and pop store/restaurant located on a scenic route. They had outdoor tables for guests and a large pen with a pet deer in it. The kids all liked to feed the deer and it was tame.

One night during hunting season, some (blankety - blank) actually shot the deer in its pen. I guess the person just didn't want deer season to end without killing something. So brave! Such skill!

This happened way before phone cameras, social media, youtube, etc. If it happened today and was caught on camera, yes, that would elicit the same outrage.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:32 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,112,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Was the deer a domesticated pet belonging to the elderly neighbors? Did she shoot it through the eye and then hold it up by said arrow sticking out of it's eye? Did she brag on social media saying the only good deer is one with an arrow through its' head? If yes to above, AND she's a veterinarian (which is a critical point in this debate and the reason for most of the outrage) then yes, there would be equal outrage.
She didn't say the only good cat was one with an arrow through it's head, she said feral cat. Why does the animal have to be a pet for it to matter, if the cat was feral would it make any difference to you?

Old 05-15-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That depends on the circumstances.

Years ago, I lived very near a little mom and pop store/restaurant located on a scenic route. They had outdoor tables for guests and a large pen with a pet deer in it. The kids all liked to feed the deer and it was tame.

One night during hunting season, some (blankety - blank) actually shot the deer in its pen. I guess the person just didn't want deer season to end without killing something. So brave! Such skill!

This happened way before phone cameras, social media, youtube, etc. If it happened today and was caught on camera, yes, that would elicit the same outrage.
That's essentially what any hunter who baits does though.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
She didn't say the only good cat was one with an arrow through it's head, she said feral cat. Why does the animal have to be a pet for it to matter, if the cat was feral would it make any difference to you?
She's a VET...she took an oath to protect animals. She killed someone's pet, but even if it had been feral she did it in a cruel and painful way then bragged about it cheerfully smiling. THAT is the point, that is why the outrage...what don't you get about this?

My grandfather had a farm. He had to kill animals sometimes. If one of the cats had kittens and one of the kittens was deformed or sick for instance and the mom cat wouldn't take care of it...but he did it as humanely as he could, he took no joy from it..he did it to prevent the kitten suffering, not as fun family sport. He would never have posed for such a picture. This lady is a vet, people entrusted their cherished pets with her. Again, do you really not see how this is different than Bubba and Joe out hunting? She is being held to a higher standard because of her profession and the oath she took and that is exactly the way it should be IMO.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-16-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-16-2015, 02:08 PM

1,339 posts, read 641,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Her mother took the picture. After Lindsey posted the picture of the cat dangling from the arrow on Facebook, there was a flurry of responses. Mostly "likes" but one poster questioned the authenticity of the photo and thought it had been photoshopped.

At that comment, Lindsey's MOTHER posted on FB that it was real, and boasted she had taken the picture. She then said "She was practicing in the yard. Jack and I saw the whole thing go down"!!! (Exclamation points by mom)

Ugh. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
Yep, her mother, treasurer of Big Horn County Wyoming. Info posted below is public info via Big Horn County Wyoming

Treasurer

Becky Lindsey

Mailing Address:
420 West C Street
P.O. Box 430
Basin, WY 82410

email: becky.lindsey@bighorncountywy.gov

Phone: 307-568-2578
Fax: 307-568-2013

Old 05-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
She's a VET...she took an oath to protect animals. She killed someone's pet, but even if it had been feral she did it in a cruel and painful way then bragged about it cheerfully smiling. THAT is the point, that is why the outrage...what don't you get about this?

My grandfather had a farm. He had to kill animals sometimes. If one of the cats had kittens and one of the kittens was deformed or sick for instance and the mom cat wouldn't take care of it...but he did it as humanely as he could, he took no joy from it..he did it to prevent the kitten suffering, not as fun family sport. He would never have posed for such a picture. This lady is a vet, people entrusted their cherished pets with her. Again, do you really not see how this is different than Bubba and Joe out hunting? She is being held to a higher standard because of her profession and the oath she took and that is exactly the way it should be IMO.
That's not what I asked, is it? If she was a vet and she hunted a wild deer the same way would you have the same problem with it? Would others?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
That's not what I asked, is it? If she was a vet and she hunted a wild deer the same way would you have the same problem with it? Would others?
AND I answered several posts ago, that yes, if this VET did it the same way, cruelly and holding it up and grinning ear to ear, YES I would feel exactly the same. YES, most of us would be equally appalled if a VET killed any animal like that, and posed with glee afterward. Do you understand my answer more clearly this time?

Old 05-16-2015, 05:10 PM

672 posts, read 611,338 times
Quote:
Did she eat the cat?

Last time I checked a cat wasn't a game animal in the U.S.. Were not like Australia where people make belts out of feral cats.

Right or wrong many do look at species differently. Game animals, pets, etc..

If you are reptile enthusiast and see people killing harmless snakes and turtles, you get upset. People who only consider certain mammals pets well gladly stomp on a snake or eat a turtle in certain parts of this country.

I think no-matter the different positions posted in this thread the bottom-line would be her lack of intelligence.

She is a veterinarian. She should have had the basic intelligence to know what she did would be a issue with a large population of people if they found out. She should have had enough intelligence to know many would see it as a crime. She should have been smart enough to know posting a picture of what she did would be met with condemnation and extreme backlash.

She and her mother should have known that making light of her actions and bragging about them would hinder her career, provoke threats and cost her employment where people bring the same type of animals to be healed and treated.

Anyone with just a little bit of common sense would have known the firestorm of posting such a picture, bragging about it and having family admit they were present and took the picture in such a casual manner would cause a severe reaction from many.

How could you not know this in the world we live in?

I have dogs and livestock. I love my dogs. I love dogs period. If I had a dog or pack of dogs attack my livestock, I have a right and duty to protect them. If I had to, I wouldn't be stupid enough to post pictures of someones dog that was dispatched on social media. Which has been done by some several times that made national news. Besides being insensitive to the situation it's just darn stupid and inflammatory and unnecessary.

Now I have a cat too. A barn cat. It is well taken care of and has had all its shots. Your notion of people not taking care of their cats because they wonder is a little over the top. You can't fence in a cat. Those that have indoor cats you can't always keep a cat inside 24/7 without them eventually getting out.
It's not going to happen the entire life of a cat.

Your neighbor's cat that is wondering through your yard has done what to you? Absolutely nothing.
Now if the cat was running out of your hen house with a chick in its mouth, that's a little different story.

And if that happened to you don't put pictures of yourself online killing someones pet or animal for no reason. You don't hunt what your not eating or protecting your animals.

Killing just for killing isn't hunting.

Bottom-line she lacks judgement. Created the controversy engulfing her life and that of her family.

Regardless if you are anyone else doesn't value the cat's life as a pet, believe it is feral or think dispatching the animal is acceptable for any reason or no reason at all, only a moron would brag about it and post pictures for the whole world to see.

Old 05-16-2015, 05:17 PM

672 posts, read 611,338 times
I wouldn't trust the care of my animals to a person that has such bad judgment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or