Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 01:32 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times

Advertisements

I have heard about the drop thing but have never been a manager at a fast food restaurant and they were the ones to do it. However, a few of these places told me if I was robbed I'd have to pay them back. I turned down the jobs because of that. At one McDonald's I worked at we had a manager stealing money and she was using my cash register to do it. I got written up because she claimed it was me until she was busted. At a restaurant I waitressed at if the register was uneven I had to pay the difference. Luckily I balanced evenly but if not it would have come out if my pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
Popeye's wanted their managers to put money in the safe once they got 'x' amount of cash in their drawer. In this woman's case, things got so busy in the restaurant, that she didn't have time to return cash to the safe right away. Which is understandable. Restaurants need to understand that policies can only be followed as much as possible. $400 is not such a huge loss for a major restaurant chain. They need to deal with it instead of retaliating against a woman who almost lost her life working for them. Not only her life, but the life of her unborn child.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM

435 posts, read 635,213 times
What's really bad also, is some restaurants require waiters to pay if customers walk the check. Unbelievable!

Old 04-23-2015, 03:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Texas like so many other states is an at hired at will state which means a company doesn't need a reason to fire an employee, as a result there are no bits for a lawyer to chomp at.
Not even nearly true. Being hired at will does not exempt an employer from being sued for wrongful termination. It simply allows either party to end the working agreement for reasons that are not illegal reasons. While it varies by state, generally, failing to reimburse an employer for losses sustained in an armed robbery would not be considered a legal reason, which is probably why Popeye's corporate backed away from that statement quickly.

Old 04-23-2015, 03:09 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
She lets the employees handle the rush for the less than 5 minutes it takes to make a drop.
I used to handle more than $1000,000.00 cash daily as one of the managers of a truck stop and no matter how busy we were those drops got made when they were supposed to be made.
1 million in cash daily........I suspect your zero key might have gotten stuck!

Old 04-23-2015, 04:09 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
As someone who works the teller line at a bank as part of my job duties, I completely understand the policy in regards to doing drops for excess cash. However, there may be times where it is simply not feasible. For instance, I've been the only teller in the branch on two occasions in the past week. A manager may be with a customer and may not be available to go to the vault with a teller to drop in excess cash and every financial institution with a brain makes any access to a vault dual control meaning at least two people have to go to access the vault. Let's not even discuss when you have a line out the door.

With one big deposit, you could easily be over your limit and no way to get rid of it. Not every bank has a lower-level coin vault which is out of view of customers to drop excess cash in until you can get into the big vault. I understand why cash policies are in place but those policies should be enforced within the reason of a reasonable employee.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
First off, let me say I am in no way anti business, in fact, quite the contrary, I support most things businesses do. HOWEVER, there is a real deterioration in the way companies, especially retail and food service businesses, protect and care for their employees.

I see it all the time where a business will throw a long time employee under the bus and go out of their way to kiss the butt of a customer, even if the employee was doing the right thing. I worked for a company where a customer returned 5 of the same items in a row, claiming they were defective. The manager finally told him he was doing something wrong with them and said this was the last one he could give him free.

The customer called the home office and they immediately called the manager and told him he would phone the customer and apologize, take back the "defective" item, give him a new one, and also give him a $25 gift certificate to make things better ! After that, we all knew the rules and that the company would never stand up for us, so we simply took back anything anyone returned and we did everything we could to make sure the customer got whatever they wanted.

And companies wonder why employees are disloyal !

Don

Old 04-23-2015, 09:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As someone who works the teller line at a bank as part of my job duties, I completely understand the policy in regards to doing drops for excess cash. However, there may be times where it is simply not feasible. For instance, I've been the only teller in the branch on two occasions in the past week. A manager may be with a customer and may not be available to go to the vault with a teller to drop in excess cash and every financial institution with a brain makes any access to a vault dual control meaning at least two people have to go to access the vault. Let's not even discuss when you have a line out the door.

With one big deposit, you could easily be over your limit and no way to get rid of it. Not every bank has a lower-level coin vault which is out of view of customers to drop excess cash in until you can get into the big vault. I understand why cash policies are in place but those policies should be enforced within the reason of a reasonable employee.
Exactly. I've worked in two different places when it came to cash registers. One was a famous amusement park in which there would be no drops except the closing drops (though it was pretty rare to see people accused of steeling from them) and a gas station with drops when you hit $100 above what you started with AND closing. I found that unless you had a free moment, it was hard to say to customers "Can you give me a minute" because many were impatient and wanted assistance NOW and for us to cater to every whim. That said, once things would slow down, I'd do that before doing other duties on my shift if it was getting over.

I don't know if this manager was busy or what other duties they had. I also don't know if they have a prioritizing activities. These issues could make it so that she might not have been able to do a drop. I think companies need to realize the idea of discretion and knowing if the book should be thrown at an employee or not. She had a track record of this but not getting robbed at gunpoint over it. I don't know the strike system and if being forced to payback losses from a robbery was a condition of employment for corporate or the owner.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
That is a pretty hard and fast rule with many businesses.........anything over 50-100 bucks gets dropped into the safe.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:14 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It looks like she was fired because she didn't want to pay the money back. Agree with not dropping money is a fireable offense, if it was repeatedly done. I wonder how many times she did it? One time imo, isn't a good enough reason to fire her. Not saying you're saying it is.
So what if it was only once .She disobeyed the rules and the company lost $400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events