U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 05:16 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,856,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Washington (CNN) Gen. David Petraeus, once a widely celebrated military leader who oversaw operations in Afghanistan and Iraq and was touted as a potential presidential candidate, was sentenced to serve two years on probation and to pay an $100,000 fine on Thursday for sharing classified information with his biographer and lover, Paula Broadwell.

"Today marks the end of a two-and-a-half-year ordeal," Petraeus said outside the Charlotte federal courthouse following his sentencing. "I now look forward to moving on with the next phase of my life."

Petraeus, who resigned as director of the Central Intelligence Agency in November 2012 after the relationship became public, avoided jail time as part of a plea deal. Prosecutors agreed to not send Petraeus to jail because the classified information was never released to the public or published in the biography of him that Broadwell wrote.
Petraeus sentenced: 2 years probation; $100K fine - CNNPolitics.com

I wish the general well.

This saga has always struck me as tragic. It was widely rumored that following his military service David Petraeus might have a career in politics. And indeed, after retiring he was soon appointed CIA Director by President Obama. There was speculation that elective office might follow, perhaps as a Republican on a national ticket.

Now, I am a liberal. But David Petraeus seemed to me the quintessential public servant, and I know this country is governed by two parties. I looked forward to the possibility of seeing Petraeus continue his service by running for office. That will never happen.

I believe it is a loss for the country.

It's also baffling. The military is not like the civilian world. It's a lot harder for someone who isn't extremely squared away to acquire four stars than it is for someone to become, say, a CEO or a Senator or Governor. West Point. Field grade officer. General officer. Each additional star. CENTCOM. ISAF Command. Central Intelligence. At each of these bottlenecks, Petraeus faced increasingly fierce competition from increasingly accomplished and talented individuals. He rose above them all. Of the brightest, his star shone brighter still.

And he fumbled it all away on not only a foolish affair but in an inexplicable security breach. That dual presence of such extreme achievement and gross negligence is so utterly incongruous.

Like I said, a tragedy of almost Shakespearean levels.

Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 05:39 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,089,548 times
The Honey Pot. Not that she was spying for an enemy but results of doing something wrong while in the throes of love is an old story. Unusual that someone of his stature would not put the brakes on while he could.

Imagine the updated Threat Briefings will include this and by all rights they should.

GEN Petraeus was an honorable and successful man. I liked him and think it is a shame how he ruined his life and (potentially) betrayed his country. Hopefully he can regain his honor in one way or another.

Agree with your assessment of the winnowing process he went through, yet in the end he failed. A mortal after all.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:06 PM

38,608 posts, read 15,466,732 times
It should be noted the slag he was was banging and giving secrets to, is also married and has two young children. Such lovely people working for and in the government and being treated to first class living by the taxpayers.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,283,443 times
More men have gone down in history over a woman

An unacceptable lapse.... to an honorable and distinguished career

A great warrior and leader

It has to stop there... in this case there was no room for error.. and he erred

In most cases this would be a felony... he got charged lightly

Now.. was anything leaked..and can she be contained? I wonder what the plea deal was

Old 04-23-2015, 06:16 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,872,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It should be noted the slag he was was banging and giving secrets to, is also married and has two young children. Such lovely people working for and in the government and being treated to first class living by the taxpayers.
But....In the good general's defense: Have you seen his wife? Woof......

Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,023,912 times
When they want to get someone "out of the way" they get a woman involved.

I liked him. He didn't play the PC game in DC and told it like it was.
I guess TPTB didn't like that.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 PM

5,106 posts, read 6,089,548 times
adding to my previous post:

this is the pure reason officers must be held to the highest of standards.

Even I who have no love for PVT Manning could make a case that what Manning did was little different than what GEN Petraeus did: Give sensitive and possibly classified info to a reporter/writer/journalist. Doesn't matter why either did it, intent, or that one's literary contact published it whereas apparently the paramour writer didn't. But it makes me think Manning's lawyer should get cracking on mitigating his sentence.

A 4 star General is no better than a PVT/PFC and shouldn't be held to a different accounting.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:11 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,292,603 times
The punishment is inexplicably light, I have witnessed men punished greatly for acts or crimes far less sensitive. Petraeus should be punished harshly. He maintains immense knowledge understanding,training, coupled with extensive experience regarding "the" intelligence and procedural protocol.

Thanks to Petraeus title and position he possessed substantial capacities regarding Intel; his punishment should be far greater! Considering he, the director of CIA and speculated man of integrity labeled a hero,role model, and warrior warrants supreme punishment! Some even whisper of his superior brilliance yet-we are willing to neglect his offense and charge him as if he were a teen that vandalized a statue or pretty building!

We should ask petraeus how he would have punished a Soldier, CIA agent, or member under his chain of command if they committed the same infraction.

I find his sentencing grossly undeserving and disrespectful to our cerebral intelligence.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM

15,113 posts, read 8,628,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
The punishment is inexplicably light, I have witnessed men punished greatly for acts or crimes far less sensitive. Petraeus should be punished harshly. He maintains immense knowledge understanding,training, coupled with extensive experience regarding "the" intelligence and procedural protocol.

Thanks to Petraeus title and position he possessed substantial capacities regarding Intel; his punishment should be far greater! Considering he, the director of CIA and speculated man of integrity labeled a hero,role model, and warrior warrants supreme punishment! Some even whisper of his superior brilliance yet-we are willing to neglect his offense and charge him as if he were a teen that vandalized a statue or pretty building!

We should ask petraeus how he would have punished a Soldier, CIA agent, or member under his chain of command if they committed the same infraction.

I find his sentencing grossly undeserving and disrespectful to our cerebral intelligence.
Totally agree with you.

The enlisted get their privates stomped on, while the 'perfumed princes' (nodding at you Hack) get slaps on the wrist.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,193,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post

You think what he did was worse than what Snowden did?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or