Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:30 AM

622 posts, read 526,756 times

Advertisements

If they don't like the meat on offer, let them become vegetarians.

Or do you have to kill a cabbage in a certain way before they'll eat it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
The headline is so inflammatory, as is that entire site.

The food shelves are government-funded food pantries. If you have one of these food shelves in an area with a high concentration of a particular ethnic group, does it not make sense to fill it with items that said group eats? While I agree with the general sentiment of "beggars can't be choosers" at the same time, could it simply be a matter that the people who run them had not considered this issue, and bringing it to their attention would just mean that they made an easy adjustment to the food items they stock? I don't think it has to be seen as so much of an "us against them" issue.

My mom helps run a food pantry (not a shelf) in rural Wisconsin. The people who use it are long-term members of the community, eating typical midwestern American food. If the pantry was suddenly filled with foreign foods which they weren't accustomed to, it doesn't seem unreasonable that people might ask about getting more familiar fare. It doesn't mean they are not grateful for the assistance they are getting. I don't see how the situation with these Somali refugees is that different.
I don't know about the gratefulness of this group - protests and demands that the fare be changed? That's not the attitude that smacks of gratefulness to me. This link is from a local Minnesota tv news station.

Group Pushes For Halal Food Shelf « CBS Minnesota

I 100% agree with the poster who suggested the mosques start up their own food bank, with the type of food that is culturally acceptable to their congregation. Why do the taxpayers have to do it? It's bad enough that they are most likely considered refugees and are being given many benefits as it is. How much is enough?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:44 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Local Muslim families push for halal food on school lunch menus - 10News.com KGTV ABC10 San Diego

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgr...ional-right-2/

As we keep importing religious zealots nothing but bad can happen. To "DEMAND" anything free is ridiculous. Pack you religious zealot spawn a lunch.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:47 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,099,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam
Why aren't the local mosques passing the hat and soliciting funds from wealthy individuals in the religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
They do but Hamas comes first.

Donations given to mosques fund terror because that advances muslim causes. That is their priority, to kill Christians and overcome other religions.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:04 PM

30,613 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:

The food shelves are government-funded food pantries. If you have one of these food shelves in an area with a high concentration of a particular ethnic group, does it not make sense to fill it with items that said group eats? While I agree with the general sentiment of "beggars can't be choosers" at the same time, could it simply be a matter that the people who run them had not considered this issue, and bringing it to their attention would just mean that they made an easy adjustment to the food items they stock? I don't think it has to be seen as so much of an "us against them" issue.

My mom helps run a food pantry (not a shelf) in rural Wisconsin. The people who use it are long-term members of the community, eating typical midwestern American food. If the pantry was suddenly filled with foreign foods which they weren't accustomed to, it doesn't seem unreasonable that people might ask about getting more familiar fare. It doesn't mean they are not grateful for the assistance they are getting. I don't see how the situation with these Somali refugees is that different.
If it costs the government/taxpayers more do to so (and Halal meats are generally always more expensive than standard-priced non-Halal meats), then I say no. Let's remember here: this quarrel is over a lack of Halal meats. Fish isn't covered and Islamists are free to buy that. The same goes for fruits, veggies, grains, eggs, etc., all things that Islamists may buy without having to worry about violating a dietary code. Not everyone is going to be satisfied, but beggars cannot be choosers. They can buy everything but meats with food stamps and, if they are really that desperate for meat, then they can use a little hard cash on that. Otherwise, make do with the meats that are offered. Note, I'd have the same response to any other group; this isn't an anti-Muslim rant, but a rant against political correctness and government waste.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 04-25-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 01:02 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,878 times
Simple: No. If you don't like the free food, you are welcome to go buy your own.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:

But the government does not stock the shelves themselves.
They give out grants to others to stock the shelves.

These people want the local government to stock the shelves with their ethnic food.

This is free food in addition to their SNAP benefits.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam
Why aren't the local mosques passing the hat and soliciting funds from wealthy individuals in the religion

Donations given to mosques fund terror because that advances muslim causes. That is their priority, to kill Christians and overcome other religions.
There is a large school in Santa Clara, CA and I have to wonder what they are teaching and who is paying for it. Since they have money to build and run that place, maybe they could donate food so the ones who don't like America can find a better home for themselves.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:35 PM

687 posts, read 915,205 times
Where I live in Central Maryland there are many different ethnic groups. I've seen stores that specialize in Hispanic food. I've seen at least one Halal food distributor (next to the Glen Burnie post office). I imagine jews know where to find Kosher food. There are stores that specialize in Asian foods, and a couple of them specifically state they are Korean food markets.

So.....what's the problem? Open up a shop or get together to open one and then staff the business with your relatives. If there isn't enough population to support this venture then looks like you're going to have to 'process' meat the old fashioned way. I've seen sheep and a goat slaughtered right there in Iraqi marketplaces. Heck I've seen a kid around 5 years old or so slit a sheep's throat. It's a skill many people, not just Muslims, might be interested in getting into in the future, perhaps even a necessity one day.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,158,957 times
"Halal" is not an ethnic preference, it's a religious demand by people who follow a part-time prophet, part-time caravan robber who used to channel an ancient Semitic deity.

If we must follow ancient nutritional advice for our food pantries, why not consult the great Hindu deity Krishna, who demanded people eat a lacto-vegetarian diet without eggs, garlic, or mushrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events