U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:07 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,864,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
I think there should be a good old tax revolt until we get some serious house cleaning done in the U.S..
best solution on the thread. Exactly what this country needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Then the UN should support them. I certainly don't want to pay taxes for refugee parasites.
Amen is all I have to say........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 AM

8,856 posts, read 10,312,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
MN funds a set of food banks. MN does not buy the food, just provides taxpayer money ($3.3 million).
This is over and above and separate from SNAP/TANF, etc.

Here is the state of MN website.

Minnesota Food Shelf Program (MFSP)

And the Somalis in MN are not the only group that want the state to provide ethnic food. Asians and Hispanics in MN also want their ethnic food to be provided at these food pantries.

When government gets involved you can bet that people will start demanding "their fair share" of government money.
Thank you so much for providing that link. Since so much varies by state, I was not understanding the situation in MN. I'm wobbling on the fence (as I often do) because I don't see ethnic preferences as the same as religious requirements. At the same time, beggars can't be choosers has also been a philosophy I tend to agree with. It seems, from reading this thread, Somalians have a reputation of being particularly demanding when it comes to public assistance in the US. What about other groups with dietary restrictions (not preferences)?

Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
So I have a few issues with this article.

1. There would be no reason for anyone demanding certain food be food stamp eligible because all non-cooked food is eligible for purchase with food stamps. There is no limits as evidenced by the disgusting amount of threads on this board on how unfair it is for poor people to buy anything other than gruel.

2. A food shelf is a food pantry which typically does not take or require food stamps. Rather they give food away with minimal requirements. Usually those requirements are a state issued ID, proof of address and possibly proof of income.

3. Many food pantries offer religious, cultural and health related alternatives. I don't see why halal food is any different.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,642,033 times
When I noticed that a case of military MRE's had a crescent printed on the box, I thought, "Oh, that means that it's kosher for Islam."

Which would beautifully insult those on both sides of that statement.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 19,926 times
Wow just wow.

Im seeing these so called Muslims driving 2013-2015 modeled cars, theyre already taking advantage and abusing the system. Let alone, most of them shouldnt even be on the roads.

Just because its snowing does not mean you get to drive in the middle of 2 clearly marked, still visible lanes.

Awesome cab drivers! /sarcasm

***I understand Im taking a religion and belief and using it as a group classification, I apologize should that offend anyone. Yes I do have friends and know people who are Muslims and they are very hard working.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:12 PM

27,993 posts, read 19,647,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen00 View Post
Wow just wow.

Im seeing these so called Muslims driving 2013-2015 modeled cars, theyre already taking advantage and abusing the system. Let alone, most of them shouldnt even be on the roads.

Just because its snowing does not mean you get to drive in the middle of 2 clearly marked, still visible lanes.

Awesome cab drivers! /sarcasm

***I understand Im taking a religion and belief and using it as a group classification, I apologize should that offend anyone. Yes I do have friends and know people who are Muslims and they are very hard working.
Kind of like the "Christians" who take money from all their parishioners and live high on the hog, breaking every commandment in the book and take advantage of every loophole possible to get as much money as possible, huh?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:27 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Kind of like the "Christians" who take money from all their parishioners and live high on the hog, breaking every commandment in the book and take advantage of every loophole possible to get as much money as possible, huh?
Let me break this down for you.

One is living off of money taken in from a collection plate that was put in VOLUNTARILY.

The other is living off of TAX PAYER money that is taken by force.

Do you need any other help figuring this out? If you want to see the difference, don't file a tax return.

For what it's worth. I don't think the tax code is fair for any business.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
Somalis,,,that is what I thought since this is story coming out of MN....they are the lazy worthless piece of ****s...they screw up their country and now come over here on welfare.....same with their compatriots in Europe too!
Well of course they're going to come here if we allow it. They wouldn't find it so easy though if they had to get in the usual way - instead they get in by claiming to be refugees in danger of being killed. And in fact that's true ...... the overwhelming majority of Somalians are being targeted by one Muslim warlord or another, the only ones who don't want to leave are the pirates and warlords themselves.

By the way, this illustrates the problem with too little government. Since there's no central govt of any power or authority there, people band together into gangs, which are taken over by strongmen who establish any "government" they want, mostly supported by tributes, looting and pillaging.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM

7,939 posts, read 3,930,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
With enough people of this religion in the Minnesota area, why doesn't a local merchant open a shop to sell this food?

Its certainly legal to sell "halal" food in America, and its legal to give it away as well. Why aren't the local mosques passing the hat and soliciting funds from wealthy individuals in the religion to pony up and provide this food? What do politicians have to do with this anyhow? Halal food stores are able to join the food stamp program too if they want.
For the same reason that Jordan stole the land intended for Palestine, and those poor, poor Palestinians get no help or land from their oil rich Arab neighbors,and why we don't see all those rich Arab nations wiping out ISIS,because they love playing the "victim game",and sucking up resources from others.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,189,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I was born here, sorry could not choose my birthplace. Or it would have been Somalia.

You can always move there. nothing stopping you, don't let the door hit you on the way out! Peace!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events