U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:08 AM

15,566 posts, read 9,642,463 times

Advertisements

I don't eat food other people, outside of my family, have cooked. In the past I have had co workers who brought in something they had cooked to share, and I generally said I was on a strict diet and could not eat it.

Sometimes at work they will order in pizza for everyone, and I see it laying out all day and then people still eat it ! Or, they put it in the fridge and 4 or 5 days later are eating it again. Not me, after two days food goes out.

I had food poisoning years ago and NEVER WANT IT AGAIN !

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:09 AM

27,993 posts, read 19,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I always bring some amazing and delicious dish to the Potluck. I just eat what I bring

I have always been leery of potlucks. I don't know how meticulous people are, I don't know where they purchase their food. I always use top ingredients.

And besides, we are a Nation of overweight people. It just encourages people to overeat. So that is another reason I stay away from them.
I think this nation has a problem with overthinking things. Its ok to enjoy things like food. Its ok to eat food made from generic ingredients. Goodness gracious.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,810,962 times
I'm always humored by people who think it's ok to sleep around with multiple partners, but are more concerned about the kitchen and hygiene habits of others. IMO, the first is much riskier than the latter.

I'm not big on potlucks after seeing a coworker take a coffee pot into the bathroom, go potty, not wash hands and then grab that coffee pot, fill it with water and then make coffee. I suck it up and find something to eat any way. Baked goods are generally safe as is rice and a few other items.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:28 AM

17,203 posts, read 14,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Friends of mine got sick from a bad batch of V8 juice. I still drink it. I don't understand this mindset of never doing something ever again because something happened to someone once.
I feel the same way...I'm still mad that Taco Bell will never have green onions again because several years ago they got a batch with salmonella...it could just as easily be the lettuce or tomatoes. There is nothing inherently riskier about green onions.

Old 04-25-2015, 12:58 PM

451 posts, read 356,419 times
I'm a clean freak in the kitchen. Hands washed, hair pulled back, counters and sinks washed and I'm ready to make a hot mess!

Last summer I made a really good turkey salad to bring to an out-door potluck for the neighbors. I made it the night before so the flavors would meld and of course covered and refrigerated. When I brought it to our our neighborhood party, I had it in a cooler full of ice because the salad had mayonnaise in it. Some of the people who had volunteered to set up the party didn't like my presentation by bringing my salad in a cooler... they also told me that I should have been more concerned about the turkey going bad than the Mayo. (Nothing went bad. It was never allowed to get warm).

OK - so I'm a slob. I serve clean food prepared by clean hands in a clean environment, but my presentation is less than perfect.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 PM

5,802 posts, read 3,087,683 times
This reminds me of one of the detectives on Major Crimes always says the husband did it. Nine times out of ten if you are getting sick from food it will be from mom's hand not an extended network of friends and co-workers or a restaurant employee.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:04 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,617,210 times
I find it hilarious that people are so put out that some people don't eat at potlucks. I mean, really, it's more for you! I do not care what you eat in the slightest.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:50 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I find it hilarious that people are so put out that some people don't eat at potlucks. I mean, really, it's more for you! I do not care what you eat in the slightest.
That's some odd logic. If someone doesn't eat at potlucks, then that's actually less food at the potluck. Potluck participants don't just consume the food, they also provide the food.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 2,562,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
...Its ok to eat food made from generic ingredients. Goodness gracious.
To each his own.

People always comment on how tasty my food is. At a potluck, mine is the first to be gone.

Why, because I use top ingredients. No generic butter, generic flour, etc.

My sons, husband have mention how delicious my food is compared to others.

Do what you want...if I am going to put the calories in, you bet it is going to be delicious!!

I am okay with it

Old 04-25-2015, 07:04 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,617,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
That's some odd logic. If someone doesn't eat at potlucks, then that's actually less food at the potluck. Potluck participants don't just consume the food, they also provide the food.
Sorry, I meant more weird, dirty food for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or