Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 10:03 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

I'll still eat at potlucks. Seriously, something like this is so rare as to essentially constitute a freak incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM

50,752 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I find it hilarious that people are so put out that some people don't eat at potlucks. I mean, really, it's more for you! I do not care what you eat in the slightest.
Put out how? I don't see that. If anything, it seemed to me like many of the responses were also saying they don't eat at potlucks.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
How many of you will continue to go to social potlucks and eat food from people who you don't know personally?
Unless this was at a mega-church, I have to ask: Who doesn't know the people they attend church with?

Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 AM

581 posts, read 664,568 times
[quote=Iaskwhy;39359187]Botulism is found in the soil. When food is canned improperly it isn't heated enough during the canning process to kill the bacteria. Botulism itself isn't toxic but the toxin that it produces in an environment without air, such as a can, is incredibly toxic. So if someone cans something but doesn't bring the temperature up high enough to kill the bacteria, as the food sits in the can, the bacteria produces toxens which are harmful once the food is eaten. Botulism takes quite a long time to produce toxins and requires a very specific environment to do so. This is the reason it isn't common to get it from foods that haven't been sitting around for a very long time in an anerobic environment. I HIGHLY doubt that the product was a commercially manufactured. I bet it was the result of home canning or some sort of fermentation.[/quote]

Exactly! I have been trying to explain to a woman on there-I think that she is a woman-that the preparer of the food was negligent in her preparation.

At a potluck, you never know if someone is nasty and doesn't wash their hands. They could have dirty counters, a nasty cat hanging around the food prep area, walking over counters etc. We can only hope that doesn't happen. But, there is no way of knowing. At least in restaurants, you have warnings, signs posted to wash your hands, cameras, etc.

I'm a clean person, especially when I prepare food, but everyone isn't.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I feel the same way...I'm still mad that Taco Bell will never have green onions again because several years ago they got a batch with salmonella...it could just as easily be the lettuce or tomatoes. There is nothing inherently riskier about green onions.
I totally agree. My in-laws are like that. Someone got murdered at a campground in our area 35 years ago and the in-laws thought we were terrible people for taking our kids camping there. @@

Old 04-26-2015, 05:09 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
To each his own.

People always comment on how tasty my food is. At a potluck, mine is the first to be gone.

Why, because I use top ingredients. No generic butter, generic flour, etc.

My sons, husband have mention how delicious my food is compared to others.

Do what you want...if I am going to put the calories in, you bet it is going to be delicious!!

I am okay with it
Wonderful for you.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:18 AM

581 posts, read 664,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
To each his own.

People always comment on how tasty my food is. At a potluck, mine is the first to be gone.

Why, because I use top ingredients. No generic butter, generic flour, etc.

My sons, husband have mention how delicious my food is compared to others.

Do what you want...if I am going to put the calories in, you bet it is going to be delicious!!

I am okay with it
Yeah, I'm the say way. Never thought about it, but it is gross thinking about the people who are either stingy or on a budget and will go to the store and use expired meat, maybe leftover tomato sauce that's been in the fridge over a week to put in a potluck dish. Scary to think about that, and like I posted previously, to have food prepared by the nasty individual that doesn't wash their hands and thinks it's okay to let their cat walk on the counter while they're making the dish. Also, picking the cat up while they cook, etc.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I refuse to eat at any potluck. I have no idea how disgusting your kitchen or habits are. However, I make a killer tuna casserole.
No thanks. We have enough killers already.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 AM
eok

Actually, a dirty kitchen, cat hair, and even cockroaches, are not nearly as dangerous as botulism. Most people have an immune system good enough to not give them any symptoms at all from minor food poisoning. So people should stop worrying about slobs doing the cooking, and worry more about novices doing the canning.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Put out how? I don't see that. If anything, it seemed to me like many of the responses were also saying they don't eat at potlucks.
When I was a kid, at a church potluck, there was a bowl of some kind of meat salad, which seemed very tasty to me. The person who brought it was too cheap to make enough for everyone, and it actually seemed about the right amount for one person. So I simply ate the whole bowl. That's one problem with church potlucks. Lots of kids like I was, not yet having normal manners, will be eating too much of the wrong stuff and making lots of messes. Say you want some chocolate cake but some kids made a mess of it and what's left of it makes you shudder.

But when people get food poisoning, they're too quick to blame the last place they ate. Sometimes it takes 12 hours or more to start getting the symptoms. So you can never be really sure exactly where you got the food poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events