U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 09:51 AM

17,196 posts, read 14,805,597 times

Advertisements

I think it's sad that so many feel factory conditions are safe and home-made goods not now. We have several farm markets here in south Jersey, we grow a lot of blueberries and cranberries and have festivals and thing where you can buy home made jams (and in the winter, ciders). We have a couple of awesome Amish markets where everything is home made, home grown, etc. I wouldn't stop buying their awesome food for something as rare as this.

I used to be a driver at Dominos and saw some gross things, but I still eat fast food. Our immune systems are really not as delicate as people fear, and in most cases, it truly is "what you don't know won't hurt you". I'm curious if those who are so afraid of the church organists pot luck dinner are just as concerned about teenagers who are preparing your food in fast food chains?

Also, botulism can happen in commercially prepared foods, too (this is a small, partial list): http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/0.../#.VT0KeWbzk7A

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/1.../#.VT0K22bzk7A

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/0.../#.VT0LPWbzk7A

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-26-2015 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 10:19 AM

797 posts, read 988,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
How many of you will continue to go to social potlucks and eat food from people who you don't know personally?

Never. I am very picky about what I eat. I know this sounds snobby but I don't trust food from other people. I don't even go out to eat (just a huge waste of money when we can have quality food for cheaper at home). A big concern is people don't practice food safety. Plus, having grown up in a church family I know that people often bring whatever they want to get rid of ("meat in the freezer about to expire? Let's cook it up today and bring it to the pot luck on Sunday" BARF). Not even joking but one time a woman brought LEFTOVERS to a pot luck.

I read once that only 50% of people wash their hands after using the bathroom. How could you ever trust strangers to prepare your food after knowing that?! LOL

Old 04-26-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I think it's sad that so many feel factory conditions are safe and home-made goods not now. We have several farm markets here in south Jersey, we grow a lot of blueberries and cranberries and have festivals and thing where you can buy home made jams (and in the winter, ciders). We have a couple of awesome Amish markets where everything is home made, home grown, etc. I wouldn't stop buying their awesome food for something as rare as this.

I used to be a driver at Dominos and saw some gross things, but I still eat fast food. Our immune systems are really not as delicate as people fear, and in most cases, it truly is "what you don't know won't hurt you". I'm curious if those who are so afraid of the church organists pot luck dinner are just as concerned about teenagers who are preparing your food in fast food chains?

Also, botulism can happen in commercially prepared foods, too (this is a small, partial list): Chai Tea Recalled for Botulism Risk | Food Safety News

Botulism Warning Issued for Recalled Pumpkin Seed Pesto | Food Safety News

BBQ, Hot and Teriyaki Sauces Recalled in Washington State for Botulism Risk | Food Safety News

I worked in a few restaurants. Always brought my own food for break. Didn't matter if it was a high-end place or take-out... I didn't trust half the people there making my food. (And by trust I mean trust that they are hygienic and following safety protocol. For crying out loud, majority of the people that worked in the restaurants I worked at would come in sick and management never sent them home. So I do think it is a valid concern).

Old 04-26-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
I worked in a few restaurants. Always brought my own food for break. Didn't matter if it was a high-end place or take-out... I didn't trust half the people there making my food. (And by trust I mean trust that they are hygienic and following safety protocol. For crying out loud, majority of the people that worked in the restaurants I worked at would come in sick and management never sent them home. So I do think it is a valid concern).
I agree, but I still eat out and I'm not the slightest concerned. Again, I think unless you are immune-system compromised somehow, it's just not something most of need to worry about. Considering all the unwashed people out there apparently making meals for people, and the relatively tiny number of people who get sick in comparison, I'd say it's much ado about nothing. Personally I'm more concerned with the lead in my apple juice and the pesticides on my broccoli.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM

3,510 posts, read 2,793,491 times
Quote:
I agree, but I still eat out and I'm not the slightest concerned. Again, I think unless you are immune-system compromised somehow, it's just not something most of need to worry about. Considering all the unwashed people out there apparently making meals for people, and the relatively tiny number of people who get sick in comparison, I'd say it's much ado about nothing. Personally I'm more concerned with the lead in my apple juice and the pesticides on my broccoli.

The way I look at it, it is good exercise for your immune system.

Kind of like how people that have pets tend to have higher overall immune function, or people who grow up on farms. I've noticed that its the germaphobes that most often seem to get sick or have issues with allergies.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:18 AM

9,864 posts, read 8,000,104 times
I am 72, I have suffered food-poisoning only once in my life. It was recent and not fun, but i am not afraid of food.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The way I look at it, it is good exercise for your immune system.

Kind of like how people that have pets tend to have higher overall immune function, or people who grow up on farms. I've noticed that its the germaphobes that most often seem to get sick or have issues with allergies.
I absolutely believe this, and tell my niece this all the time! I think one reason kids seem sicker nowadays, my niece's kids always have ear infections, etc, is because of over-sterilization and over use of antibiotic wipes, etc.

The immune system is no different than the muscular system or the cardiac system, you have to challenge them in order to make them strong. That is the very basis of vaccines, after all....introduce an extremely watered down version of the virus to the body, so the immune system can develop antibodies to fight it if you ever catch it. It's not exactly correct to think you've never "gotten" chicken pox, etc...chances are you were exposed to it, but because you were vaccinated, your body was able to use those previously created antibodies to destroy it before you even knew it was in your body, so it never affected you or presented symptoms.

If it's never exposed to germs, the immune system doesn't get the chance to develop the "muscles" (antibodies) to defeat them. Then what happens is a big germ comes along, and it's like Muhammed Ali against a feather-weight.

I grew up in the country, and I used to walk barefoot all the time when I was a kid. I can't even begin to imagine how many germs and how much (literal) crap I probably walked through on a daily basis...I had frogs and other dirty critters in my hands everyday, then I probably pulled gum out of my pocket and ate it with the same hands...yet somehow I survived and (knock wood) am a pretty strong and healthy adult. My niece's kids are practically wrapped in plastic and are sick a lot.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 04-26-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,438,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dessertlover View Post
How many of you will continue to go to social potlucks and eat food from people who you don't know personally?
Did something happen to someone somewhere?

Old 04-26-2015, 12:12 PM

21,476 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Did something happen to someone somewhere?
Church potluck food tested after botulism outbreak - CNN.com

Old 04-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Very true. I do have health issues that weaken my immune system so I tend to be overly cautious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or