U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 AM

12,319 posts, read 8,205,583 times

Advertisements

I like how they said SHE hit Her HEAD. Bounced off the ground is more like it. Drunk or not that was uncalled for.

Last edited by reed067; 04-24-2015 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM

8,993 posts, read 4,909,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I could never see myself smashing a woman's face into the concrete. And while wearing the badge??!!!........
Oh, I could!

Perhaps a "standard" move back in the old days of no gun, no taser, no mace, no pepper spray, maybe not even a nightstick. Sweep their feet out from under them (which is much more than what he did in the video), put them in the pavement, take the fight out of them.

A and B.......and then C

A: Did I ever have to use a move like that? No, the closest I came was a servicewoman, probably 100 or so lbs, who went nuts and I immediately put a half nelson on her. In the blink of an eye, I could have thrown her, probably dislocated that locked arm, even broken some ribs if I landed on her.....and the blink of thought, I decided that was not necessary and didn't.

B: For those who say that's too far, too much.....are they fighters? Do they know hand to hand? How would they handle someone who resists?

and then there is C: I was probably the best one for hand to hand in my police department. At that time, I had been doing it half my life. But hand to hand is not something you learn in three months and then, you are an expert at it. It takes a lot of training, quite a while to be proficient at it.

So the question is, your cops, your taxes, how much money are you willing to put into it to get a good policeman?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:49 AM

5,387 posts, read 4,846,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Berdee are you a man??
Not that it has anything to do with the discussions in this forum.....but, nope.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:56 AM

10,032 posts, read 6,904,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Oh, I could!

Perhaps a "standard" move back in the old days of no gun, no taser, no mace, no pepper spray, maybe not even a nightstick. Sweep their feet out from under them (which is much more than what he did in the video), put them in the pavement, take the fight out of them.

A and B.......and then C

A: Did I ever have to use a move like that? No, the closest I came was a servicewoman, probably 100 or so lbs, who went nuts and I immediately put a half nelson on her. In the blink of an eye, I could have thrown her, probably dislocated that locked arm, even broken some ribs if I landed on her.....and the blink of thought, I decided that was not necessary and didn't.

B: For those who say that's too far, too much.....are they fighters? Do they know hand to hand? How would they handle someone who resists?

and then there is C: I was probably the best one for hand to hand in my police department. At that time, I had been doing it half my life. But hand to hand is not something you learn in three months and then, you are an expert at it. It takes a lot of training, quite a while to be proficient at it.

So the question is, your cops, your taxes, how much money are you willing to put into it to get a good policeman?
Quote:

"Well what would you do then, Mr. Smarty pants?"

Ahhhh.....another of the great canned responses we've come to expect from police when they're confronted with examples of police misconduct or abuse.

How would they handle someone who resists?

Your question is ridiculous and irrelevant. Can you watch the dash cam video of this incident and then claim that level of force was warranted in this case?

Old 04-24-2015, 07:06 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,324,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post

Your question is ridiculous and irrelevant. Can you watch the dash cam video of this incident and then claim that level of force was warranted in this case?
That level of force only looks bad because of the incidental consequence of her head slamming onto the concrete. I can't comment on the laws of Texas but here in FL that is absolutely justified. At the end of the day the only thing the officer needs to do to justify his actions is to prove that his actions were lawful.

The use of force matrix here would label her pulling her arm away (even if she did it in a way where it wouldn't harm the officer) as active resistance. At that level of resistance all officers are allowed to use takedowns that are approved by their individual department. The one he used is a very common one is Law Enforcement so I assume that the department he worked for approved it.

Would I use that same level of force in that same scenario? I don't think so. I would have tried to talk her for a bit more into voluntarily letting me cuff her before I used any physical force. But was this officer legally justified to do what he did? If we are going by the laws of my state then he was 100% justified.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:13 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,677,704 times
She had no trouble being drunk in front of her six year old child, so what difference does it make for the policeman to handle her with the six year old being a witness? If the policeman tried talking to her, I'm sure it didn't take long for him to realize it was pointless.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
That level of force only looks bad because of the incidental consequence of her head slamming onto the concrete. I can't comment on the laws of Texas but here in FL that is absolutely justified. At the end of the day the only thing the officer needs to do to justify his actions is to prove that his actions were lawful.

The use of force matrix here would label her pulling her arm away (even if she did it in a way where it wouldn't harm the officer) as active resistance. At that level of resistance all officers are allowed to use takedowns that are approved by their individual department. The one he used is a very common one is Law Enforcement so I assume that the department he worked for approved it.

Would I use that same level of force in that same scenario? I don't think so. I would have tried to talk her for a bit more into voluntarily letting me cuff her before I used any physical force. But was this officer legally justified to do what he did? If we are going by the laws of my state then he was 100% justified.

Quote:
Would I use that same level of force in that same scenario? I don't think so
So then what you're saying is that you agree that level of force wasn't warranted in that situation.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:14 AM

8,993 posts, read 4,909,602 times
Quote:
"Well what would you do then, Mr. Smarty pants?"

Ahhhh.....another of the great canned responses we've come to expect from police when they're confronted with examples of police misconduct or abuse.

How would they handle someone who resists?

Yes.

It may sound callous but she just fell poorly.

He just yanked her by the arms.

He didn't strike her, he didn't trip her or do a foot sweep on her, he didn't wheel her around his out stretched leg, he didn't put an arm bar or a full nelson on her, he didn't throw her (ie, with her feet flying up into the air). He didn't choke her out (popular in my day). He didn't tase her before trying to put the handcuffs on her.

Essentially, he just bull dogged her and she went to the ground pretty much from her feet.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:16 AM

3,556 posts, read 2,345,082 times
Quote:
Cops are like children. They're like the bully on the playground. When someone gets in a childish bully's face or does something the bully doesn't like they get attacked. The same thing occurs with the cops. The difference is though that the cops are SUPPOSED to be the professionals and should be able to handle a belligerent drunk 5 foot nothing 100 pound woman without smashing her skull into the pavement. But....the childish bully cops have this "you must respect my a-thow-ra-tay" mantra going and feel the need to break skulls when someone does something they don't like or when they feel disrespected. Watch the dashcam video in this link and then feel free to comment again. I'll wait.

Video shows DWI suspect knocked unconscious during arrest
I watched the dash cam footage and my opinion still stands. She was resisting, yes, but that amount of force was not warranted. Not only did he slam her into the ground, but he also did it literally seconds after any sign of resistance!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Yes.

It may sound callous but she just fell poorly.

He just yanked her by the arms.

He didn't strike her, he didn't trip her or do a foot sweep on her, he didn't wheel her around his out stretched leg, he didn't put an arm bar or a full nelson on her, he didn't throw her (ie, with her feet flying up into the air). He didn't choke her out (popular in my day). He didn't tase her before trying to put the handcuffs on her.

Essentially, he just bull dogged her and she went to the ground pretty much from her feet.
It doesn't sound callous. It sounds like the familiar tone of the thin blue line as cops attempt to make ridiculous excuses to protect their own. Why did this cop take this action? Because cops are cowards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or