U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,805,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Did the woman in that video appear to be capable of benching 3 bills?
Nope. Neither did I.
I doubt she could do that... but I also know several pro MMA fighters (not talking Ronda Rhousey or Sara McMann, just average local fighters with a few pro fights) that look no larger than her that also have no problem inflicting damage on a man twice their size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:41 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,367,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of that impact.(as she was) During training I was nearly knocked out by the force of my head striking the pavement. Too much exuberance on the part of my training partner. It appears to be as Tamara indicated above a manuever to incapacitate the person by shock into submission. But the speed of the manuever, I refer to the landing velocity, is difficult to control unless there is considerable disparity in strength to weight.

If there is no threat to one's life then sufficient force is used to bring the task to completion. One does not use excessive force which can lead to injury. But this may have been inadverent injury from the manuever.

Have to admit the manuever was performed quite smoothly in the video.
I've had officers try to do it to me. Hold my arms and sweep my feet.

After violating my rights, stealing my phone, and jerking me out of my vehicle with no reason for arrest and questionable probable cause.

This was over marijuana possession have you.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 AM

3,584 posts, read 2,490,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Nope. Neither did I.
I doubt she could do that... but I also know several pro MMA fighters (not talking Ronda Rhousey or Sara McMann, just average local fighters with a few pro fights) that look no larger than her that also have no problem inflicting damage on a man twice their size.
Irrelevant. The woman pulled her arm back a little as shown in the dash cam, which could be associated with her being drunk at the time.

She didn't take any swings, she didn't spit at him, she didn't do anything outrageous to the police officer.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 4,805,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Irrelevant. The woman pulled her arm back a little as shown in the dash cam, which could be associated with her being drunk at the time.

She didn't take any swings, she didn't spit at him, she didn't do anything outrageous to the police officer.
Also irrelevant. She still pulled out of his grasp while he was handcuffing, which justifies a takedown (and this was a very mild takedown despite the outcome of it).
One very odd thing about this video though, she goes completely limp about halfway through the takedown. Watch her arms. It almost looks like she blacked out on her feet.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Yeah, I don't think so. At all of 5'0" 105 lbs I tossed plenty of 200+ lb guys (of course, I also benched a little over 300 at the time and eventually ended up on a development squad for greco).
Now, I'm a middle aged 170lb tub of lard now, but still only 5'0" (actually shorter now), but I am still very confident that very few people could pin me to the ground in seconds.
I don't believe you.

300lbs?

I played football. I know my weights.

Makes me question some of your other comments now.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,049,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i really don't see how this is a justifiable use of force..

Yes I'd say that was uncalled for.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM

9,763 posts, read 5,440,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I'm not sure why you keep asking this question. The answer is always going to be either "irrelevant" or "not that".

It really doesn't matter what anyone says to you because you obviously believe that slamming this woman to the ground and letting her head bounce off of the pavement was appropriate.

Whatever dude. If you think the slightest bit of resistance should be met with promptly bouncing someone's head off of the pavement like a freaken basketball, then you have got some different views on things than I do.
A: Okay, I will note your response as "doesn't matter"....however, I was not asking you here, but another.

B: If people don't have an alternate approach for something when they say "I would have done it differently", then that leaves little room for figuring out a better way to do things.

C: And........that's "Dudette" to you!

Old 04-24-2015, 08:49 AM

13,783 posts, read 18,702,326 times
this was indeed uncalled for and the chief should be taken to the mat and told to resign or be forced to resign along with this scumbag cop that is part of this department . I do think that when there is a problem with the chief and the police force the mayor should step in and appoint an independent investigation not depend on the officers or the chief themselves . all the people that live in this area should flood the mayors office and the govenors office with emails , phone calls etc calling for the cops resignation and the chiefs as well . I wonder when all of this is going to stop ...

Old 04-24-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A: Okay, I will note your response as "doesn't matter"....however, I was not asking you here, but another.

B: If people don't have an alternate approach for something when they say "I would have done it differently", then that leaves little room for figuring out a better way to do things.

C: And........that's "Dudette" to you!
You have a whole array of tools.

I WOULD'VE HANDLED IT DIFFERENTLY.

What do you have to say to me? I've been in dangerous situations before. I could've handled the woman without slamming her head to the ground. Hell, I could catch her if she was falling and kept her head off the ground.

I'm right around 200 lbs. And I can actually bench 300.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:54 AM

939 posts, read 646,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I can't dredge up any sympathy for a woman who drinks all day, doesn't feed her child and drives all over town, while drunk, with her 6 year old in the car. The reporter stated "She had no time to brace herself" [when the cop swung her towards the ground], the woman was too plastered to even think about bracing herself (even if the cop had done it in slo-mo).
Normally I'm against cops overdoing it, but I must agree with your assessment here. Maybe this will get her attention to her alcohol problem. Her child deserves better from her mother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or